Music

Whoever did the music for Battle Star Galatica is genius.. They should look into using this composer.

Bear McCreary, the best TV composer today. They should definitely look at him, but he's booked pretty solid I think.

I think they should get Nick Cave to compose original music for this. Now that would be freaking awesome. I always hear his version of "Muddy Water" whenever I imagine that scene

SPOILER: RedWedding
with Arya and Hound going to the Twins at the same time as the Red Wedding is unfolding inside the castle
, with all the rain and water flooding the riverlands. Especially during their climactic fight with the knights beside the mud splattered wagon. So what if it takes place in a medieval setting, blues and post-punk tracks can be great in conveying the raw emotions of the scene. I'm all for having live versions of the original songs like "Bear and Maiden Fair" or "Rains of Castamere" at relevant plot points but at the end when the credits start rolling on the black screen there should a song not bound by the medieval frame (but rather from other modern styles like blues, jazz or even rock) as long as it ties in on a more emotional level with what just occurred in the episode. I'm sure those who watch HBO's True Blood know exactly what I mean. Sopranos too for that matter.

I bought the Rome soundtrack a few days ago and I absolutely love it. Jeff Beals is pretty awesome in my book and would definitely be a good choice for GoT. Listen to the songs Niobe's Fate and Niobe's theme. Theyre my 2 favorites. Just beautiful

I think it should be scored electronica and not the typical sprawling epic soaring orchestral bullshit that dominates the genre in film. This wont work as a bunch of episodes a less proficiently filmed reimagination of the lord of the rings with adult themes.

If HBO can get David Bryne and Mark Mothersbaugh, then they can get Danger Mouse to do the first season. Tell him, its your show. Id trust him with 100% autonomy. I think he could be interested in working on this thing, and he has a history of making things awesome. Plus it would good, and different. An audience will expect the typical sprawling epic soaring orchestral bullshit to be passably good, to the point where it wont add anything to the product.

If you take this thing the other way and score it with downtempo electronic shit, by a master, this thing could really be cool. I mean, they need to take chances with this thing because the suspension of misbelief is going to be an enormous hurdle. The odds are against it, throwing a hail mary on Danger Mouse could score us a touchtown.

• 2 weeks later...
I think they should get Nick Cave to compose original music for this. Now that would be freaking awesome. I always hear his version of "Muddy Water" whenever I imagine that scene
SPOILER: RedWedding
with Arya and Hound going to the Twins at the same time as the Red Wedding is unfolding inside the castle
, with all the rain and water flooding the riverlands. Especially during their climactic fight with the knights beside the mud splattered wagon. So what if it takes place in a medieval setting, blues and post-punk tracks can be great in conveying the raw emotions of the scene. I'm all for having live versions of the original songs like "Bear and Maiden Fair" or "Rains of Castamere" at relevant plot points but at the end when the credits start rolling on the black screen there should a song not bound by the medieval frame (but rather from other modern styles like blues, jazz or even rock) as long as it ties in on a more emotional level with what just occurred in the episode. I'm sure those who watch HBO's True Blood know exactly what I mean. Sopranos too for that matter.

Actually, this is a great idea! I love Nick Cave!

Watch 'The Proposal'- it's a film he wrote the screenplay and music. Great great film.

Oh, or if they could get Brian Eno to write the score! THAT would be interesting and beautiful without being the usual medieval-Irish/English score that everyone will expect. Let's have something outside the box- Westeros isn't Ye Olde England but other...

Actually, this is a great idea! I love Nick Cave!

Watch 'The Proposal'- it's a film he wrote the screenplay and music. Great great film.

Oh, or if they could get Brian Eno to write the score! THAT would be interesting and beautiful without being the usual medieval-Irish/English score that everyone will expect. Let's have something outside the box- Westeros isn't Ye Olde England but other...

Brian Eno or Nick Cave would give the show so much rep/class. Not that one could realistically hope that HBO would get such big artists (I hope they spend most of their budget on good actors actually). It would just be interesting if the show had that kind of "not-traditional Medieval" music vibe (although I love some Gregorian hymns). But just not Knight's Tale style :) That was way too blatant, and besides Freddy Mercury has no place in 14th century Prague.

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, but last winter was scribbling out some incidental music for this novel just for kicks and to experiment with some of Finale 2007's playback features. There's an .mp3 of it here:

http://pcm.peabody.jhu.edu/~jchernoff/stre...nterfell1n2.mp3

I'm curious what you ASOIAF aficionados make of it. Personally, I'd like the HBO production to go some sort of route like this (except presumably a zillion times better) and eschew the ubiquitous Enya and/or Monk/Celestial Choir treatments of the genre.

Cheers,

- John

• 4 weeks later...

I think that The Tudors, even tho it was on *gasp* Showtime, had the most appropriate theme and score since the Robin Hood series that featured the music of Clannad. While Ireland may be home base for filming, it doesn't mean that the music should be Celtic and anything straight-out rock would throw the entire series out of the time that Westeros is seemingly placed in. The music that John Tams and Dominic Muldowney did for the ITV series Sharpe is a good example of what would be a nice blend of fact and fantasy. They put electric guitars to a traditional base for a theme that is equally memorable and stirring. British Folk and traditional songs were scattered all thru the entire series, including the most recent episode Sharpe's Peril which had a bit of Indian influence due to the setting for the telefilm. HBO could hardly go wrong looking to John and Dominic, both award winners in the UK.

If looking towards the US for a composer, its about time someone recognized that Vienna Teng certainly has a taste for the sort of music that certainly comes to my mind when reading any of the books. She's certainly got the formal musical education necessary to expand into full sound track composition. Here's three of her songs that sound as if she wrote them just for Game of Thrones:

Era is another who's music has that otherworldliness that you think of when reading the books:

Hymmne, by Era

Quite frankly, Enya, Howard Shore and Clannad would likely make viewers to subconsciously compare Game of Thrones to LOTR and other big feature films. Thrones deserves something truly unique. Whatever the choice, the main theme needs to be something that makes people run to their seats the minute they hear it start up so as not to miss a minute of the coming episode. Quite frankly, the themes to Rome and Carnivale were snoozers. There was nothing memorable about them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm scared by people suggesting hard rock or metal for GoT.

I mean I understand they enjoy it while reading or watching some movie but what makes the strength of Asoaif is mostly that it's believable. It'd totally ruin the experience to have metal during scenes.

There are enough composers around, movie styles or classic or medieval groups (corvus corax, La Nef, Wolgemut, Malicorne, ...) to be found that do not make use (most of the time) of modern instruments.

From the (limited) correspondence I've had with the producers, it seems they are quite set on using period-appropriate music (reneissance and earlier), so I'd rest easy if I were you ;)

I think they should only use music in traveling parts or in battles, and even then only music that really doesn't make you lose your focus on what's happening. Maybe some ambient tracks from artists like Stars of the Lid, but if they don't use music at all, I won't mind.

I vote for medieval, pagan-sounding music a la Loreena McKennit. Martin's is a world so finely balanced between civilazation and savagery--you'll need some primal, tribal sounding stuff for the wild men, but more courtly, classical fare for King's Landing. I'd take my cues from Zimmer, Shore, and the composers for Rome and the Tudors. Howard Shore's LOTR work would be especailly important to look at because he designed the soundscape for each culture. Rohan had its own theme, Lothlorien had its own theme, Minas Tirith had its own theme, Saruman's orcs had a different theme from Sauron's... I think, given all the diverse and striking cultures in Westeros, developing a unique theme or sound for each one wouldn't be a bad way to go.

3rd this...or 4th or whatever, but like others said, keep it minimal. Take cues from Band of Brothers on the timing. It had a beautiful score but kept the music out of the battles to keep it realistic. There's something much more savage in the moment when someone is getting a sword from shoulder to navel without a score behind it telling you "this is a movie".

While Hans Zimmer is hit and miss for me, I can't help but think of A Song of Ice and Fire when I hear "Journey to the Line" from The Thin Red Line.

Sweeping, sad, and epic, slow burning, like the plot... especially around 3:55, climaxing at 4:20

Wow, Brude.

Just when we were beginning to think you were a post-adolescent multiculturalist freedom fighter living in the basement of an abandoned Brooklyn redstone typing away in the dark on your Apple IIE whilst surreptitiously sipping Yoo-Hoo and plotting the downfall of every semi-educated entity north of Eastchester...

... you threw Shakira at us.

Brude has a sense of humor. He may now be my favorite poster. He was already my wife's.

D:

(MODS: NOT AN ATTACK. FRIENDLY JAB. STEP BACK. I WARN YOU. REMOVE AT YOUR OWN PERI---*

Archived