Music

i wud go for hans zimmer..he did excellent job in...well in all the movies he was in..pirates of the Caribbean,dark knight,even angels and demons...i think a bit of rock music will also be suitable in some fight scenes...more like symphony rock or perhaps goth..

The music on this video would be awesome." Does anyone know what it is?

it's Lux Aeterna by Clint Mansell. It's usage in Requiem for a Dream made it popular, and it has been (over)used in movies, tv series and many trailers. While a great piece of music, I know HBO creates excellent new music for its series, and usage of Lux Aeterna would look to me like a failure on their part.

Having said that, trailer music has a nice oomph usually. I especially like the work of Two steps from Hell, and I wouldn't mind it one bit if they were to create the music the more sparse dramatic/energetic parts of the series. For some choice tracks they have done, imagine the beginning of this for one of dany's battle scenes, or this for encountering Others north of the wall. And they have done a lot of music in the same vein as the LoTR music, and for instance the trailer music for the latest Star Trek.

And I could go on, this is the kind of music I like for the pivotal moments. Knowing HBO, they'll use more finely crafted beautiful music for the opening and for normal background music.

• 4 weeks later...

The Polish composer Henryk Gorecki, listen to his Symphony #3- also known as the Symphony of Sorrowful Songs, is brilliant. But this would most likely never happen... But maybe someone could compose with a Gorecki feel.

Here's an example of his work set to video:

or here, scroll down and the players are on the right side around the Instrumentation and score section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._3_(G%C3%B3recki)

My ideal choice would be the person who does the music for Battlestar Galactica. I think he'd do it justice.

The thought of having Michael Giacchino do the music, if only to have Lost style PLOT TWIST MUSIC when Dany reveals herself with the dragons is also entertaining. I doubt his style would mesh well with most of the show though.

I'll be happy as long as they have a real orchestra and good composer. No heavy metal slow motion war scenes for me.

My ideal choice would be the person who does the music for Battlestar Galactica. I think he'd do it justice.

Bear McCreary. He'd be not only ideal, but my GAME OF THRONES dream composer. And I'm not the only one.

Unfortunately, I think his dance card is full. He's got BSG stuff (Caprica, The Plan ... it never really ends, does it?) as well as the series Trauma, which, being a medical drama, will probably be a hit.

He's also doing the music for a video game called Dark Void, I believe.

there is only one band that would do this TV series justice, has the breadth of styles to suit the varied cultural/thematic elements in the novels and the chops to pull it off successfully: DEAD CAN DANCE!!!

Dead Can Dance - The Host Of Seraphim

Dead Can Dance - Yulunga

Dead Can Dance - Song Of The Sybil

Dead Can Dance - Rakim

DCD as such hasn't existed for a while now, but Lisa Gerrard (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0314713/) -- the woman with the throaty voice who also composes and plays instruments -- has been involved in a lot of soundtrack scoring in recent years, including:

- Gladiator, collaborating with Hans Zimmer

- Whale Rider

- Ali

- The Insider

- A bunch of other stuff, such as "A Thousand Roads" (documentary about Native Americans)

As far as I know, her only specific-for-TV (as opposed to film) composing work has been for an episode of the short-lived NBC drama "Kings" (which I watched, but I don't recall whether this was original composition for the show or simply a re-use of previously-composed work.

• 2 weeks later...
Bear McCreary. He'd be not only ideal, but my GAME OF THRONES dream composer. And I'm not the only one.

Unfortunately, I think his dance card is full. He's got BSG stuff (Caprica, The Plan ... it never really ends, does it?) as well as the series Trauma, which, being a medical drama, will probably be a hit.

He's also doing the music for a video game called Dark Void, I believe.

Given that the pilot will probably have a temp soundtrack, it may be a little while yet before HBO have to hire a composer. Given that, maybe we should see about bigging up Bear a bit more for the role? WiC could do an article for it, and someone could drop Bear a line the same way one of the guys in the business on WiC was letting agents know about the series?

I honestly think Bear's the right guy for the job, not just because of BSG and his other work, but simply because the sheer amount of passion, dedication and enthusiasm he puts into his work is simply inspiring. I think he'd be great at the job.

As for being too busy, that is a concern, although at one point he was scoring BSG, the Caprica pilot and Sarah Connor Chronicles simultaneously, so he can handle a tough workload.

Speaking of Bear McCreary, I abhor the lamentations of women. Well, specifically I think the 'haunting wailing' singing

is played out. (Second example is from the 300 score by Tyler Bates... I think the two composers have a similar sound). Don't get me wrong... I love it in those all those epic soundtracks, but it's been done. Troy and LOTR had it in places as well.

Uilleann Pipes, on the other hand, never get old. ;)

Speaking of Bear McCreary, I abhor the lamentations of women. Well, specifically I think the 'haunting wailing' singing style is played out.

I don't know if you're referring to the BSG title music or the stuff that comes after it in the video. In any case, none of it was composed by Bear McCreary. Richard Gibbs was main composer on Season 1 with BM in more of an assisting role, so Gibbs did the main title. BM took over from Season 2. The music that comes after (with the wailing) isn't from BSG or McCreary either

I've followed the progress of a couple of composers in my time, and I have to say that Bear McCreary stands out, not only in quality but also dedication. His sheer attention to getting every detail right and making every cue count almost borders on OCD. Reading his blog entries on his work on each BSG episode has been awe-inspiring.

For reference, McCreary covered a shitload of styles in BSG:

Classical strings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSYPYq9D_No ("Passascaglia / The Shape of Things to Come")

Drama:

("Assault on the Colony" - awesome action cue around 4:20, but the whole track is good)

("Prelude to War")

Piano:

("Battlestar Sonatica")

Bagpipes!

("The Dance")

Seriously, if by miracle some McCreary should happen to get onboard, I would almost not care whether the series itself sucked balls.

I think bringing either Bear McCreary or Clint Mansell would be a dream come true as both of them are more than capable of putting their artistic stamp on the series. Other suggestions like Coner Stone Cue and Garmarna would be great as well.

But I would consider getting the New London Consort involved, as they are great at finding medieval compositions like

and bringing them to life. The Dark Age of Camelot used them to great effect.

And I've already said in another thread that I think Nightwish's song 7 Days to the Wolves could be used to great effect somewhere in this series.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived