Should Eddard be a more well-known actor?

Lapse

This idea has sort of been discussed in the Stark casting thread, but I thought it was worth its own topic.

Out of all the characters in the series, I think the role most suited to a well-known actor is Eddard Stark. In Game of Thrones, the reader comes away with the idea that Ned is the "primary" protagonist. The reader, thinking he's going to be the main good-guy of the series, is shocked when he dies at the end. This realism, unusual in bread-and-butter fantasy fare, is what got me hooked on the series in the first place, and I'm sure a lot of others had the same feeling.

For the viewing public at large, most of whom will not have read the series, how do you maximize this effect? In my opinion, you hire an actor the public will recognize. Obviously no Hollywood star, but picking someone recognizable to the audience gives gravity to the role, and it [b]will[/b] increase the hook effect at the end of season 1.

On top of that, you only have to pay him for one season :thumbsup:

What do you guys think?

Lost actually toyed with the idea of Jack being played by Michael Keaton and promptly killed in the very first episode. They scrapped the idea because audiences would tune out. Assuming they could even afford a big name actor for Ned, audiences might become overly invested in Ned's character and then think the show has "jumped the shark" when he's killed. In their view, the series itself would be decapitated. Having a lesser-known actor might encourage viewers to pay more attention to the other characters and storylines throughout the first season, and soften the blow.

Please spoiler this thread topic or use spoiler tags in your post. These boards are supposed to be for those who maybe don't know the books but are interested in the upcoming series.

[quote name='Brudewollen' post='1589880' date='Nov 15 2008, 02.49']Please spoiler this thread topic or use spoiler tags in your post. These boards are supposed to be for those who maybe don't know the books but are interested in the upcoming series.[/quote]

Someone should post [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=32236"]this thread, or something like it[/url] in this subforum as well. I hadn't even looked at the other subforum yet :)

I disagree. I call it good drama. By the time of Ned's execution, the audience will have gotten to know the other characters quite well. Assuming the show is as great as the books (big assumption, I know), they'll be shocked, but will be eager to know what happens next.

I think Eric Bana would be a good A-lister choice, but my number one choice is Jason Patric, who isn't exactly on the A-list, but is still pretty well-known.

Absolutely this make a great hook for non fantasy fans who might consider the series because ______ is in it. You then have to reel them in with a solid cast and compelling characters so when Ned loses his head we don't also lose the audience that came to watch for him.

Too much to hope for Christian Bale, but he is who I always picture as Ned when I read now.

Archived