Adrian Paul

sheryl318

I would like to suggest that Adrian Paul who has worked on many sci fi/fantasy TV series: R.R. Martin's "Beauty & The Beast", "Highlander", "Dark Shadows" War of the Worlds"
& TV movies "Wraiths of Roanoke" & "The Immortal Captain Drake" be seriously considered for a role. Adrian is also
an expert swordsman:

For more info on Adrian Paul please visit:

[url="http://www.adrianpaulnewswire.blogspot.com"]http://www.adrianpaulnewswire.blogspot.com[/url]
[url="http://www.adrianpaul.net"]http://www.adrianpaul.net[/url]
[url="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001600/"]http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001600/[/url]

Ned would be more of a typecast role for him, I think.

It was Ran, I think, who came up with the idea of Paul being Stannis. Myself, I would have never thought of it, but it's [i]extremely[/i] inspired choise. Now I support it entirely.
The only bump on the road is that Stannis doesn't appear in person until the potential season two, but from then on, it's very important and meaty role.

[quote name='Rinso' post='1590598' date='Nov 16 2008, 04.38']Ned would be more of a typecast role for him, I think.

It was Ran, I think, who came up with the idea of Paul being Stannis. Myself, I would have never thought of it, but it's [i]extremely[/i] inspired choise. Now I support it entirely.
The only bump on the road is that Stannis doesn't appear in person until the potential season two, but from then on, it's very important and meaty role.[/quote]
Mind you, Stannis is in his early-mid 30s. Paul will be in his 50s by the time Stannis shows up in the series.

[quote name='Venardhi' post='1590602' date='Nov 16 2008, 08.49']Mind you, Stannis is in his early-mid 30s. Paul will be in his 50s by the time Stannis shows up in the series.[/quote]
Stannis is in his mid 30s, true enough, but it's said numerous times that he looks much, much older. And Paul does not look ancient, actually.

[quote name='Rinso' post='1590605' date='Nov 16 2008, 05.04']Stannis is in his mid 30s, true enough, but it's said numerous times that he looks much, much older. And Paul does not look ancient, actually.[/quote]
He looks amazingly good for 50 really, but he has that sheen of Hollywood assistance that really doesn't suit a character like Stannis, who should look like an old 35, not a young 50. . . if that makes any sense at all. It would help to have someone who actually looks to be in their mid-30s that they can use makeup on to give him the added age, since his appearance is part of the story of his character, and not something he necessarily has to its full extent when we first see him.

[quote name='texdionis' post='1590615' date='Nov 16 2008, 05.18']Why not Davos? He's older than Stannis[/quote]
How about Euron? Something a little against type for him, but the look is about right. . . with some makeup and an eye patch.

Personally though, I'd rather we match actors to characters and not try to shoehorn actors in by matching characters to them, it makes the casting very close-minded and unsurprising to have a cast already in mind without considering the characters primarily.

I think that still from Captain Drake is what made me realize he could do Stannis -- he's got a close-cropped beard, and if you stick a bald cap on him, I think he sells it. He's supposed to look like a man 10-15 years older by ASoS, so ... yeah, I think it works perfectly myself. He's looking very fit. :) He also makes me think a bit of the Stannis on Youll's cover to [i]A Clash of Kings[/i].

Finally, George has said in the past that Adrian Paul is Baratheonish in looks (years ago he said he could see him for a young Robert or Renly), you can get that "Baratheon family resemblance" going depending on who gets cast for Robert and Renly, I suppose.

Anyways, I think it could work, but who knows. :)

Mind you, this is really just about "looks", but from having watched Highlander quite a bit back in the day, I actually think he can do the square-jawed, unbending, brittle thing.

Mileage varies. I agree that I don't think he's particularly strong compared to some other actors, but that's a long shot from calling him "very bad", which I don't believe is a fair assessment.

For Stannis, I think he's perfect, given the character. For Ned, not so much.

[quote name='texdionis' post='1590615' date='Nov 17 2008, 02.18']Why not Davos? He's older than Stannis[/quote]
I suggested [url="http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2754908416/nm0935057"]Peter Wingfield[/url] as Davos in the casting thread, now wouldn't that be a bloody nice treat for Highlander fans, with Adrian as Stannis and Peter whispering wise counsel in his ear, it would be just like old times.

On a more likely note, I know I just suggested Adrian as Jorah Mormont but that was just an attempt to shoehorn him into a role as someone else here put it. But I think he would make a really good Oberyn Martell, although that would mean only having him for 1-2 episodes :(

[quote name='Ran' post='1590631' date='Nov 16 2008, 14.03']Mileage varies. I agree that I don't think he's particularly strong compared to some other actors, but that's a long shot from calling him "very bad", which I don't believe is a fair assessment.

For Stannis, I think he's perfect, given the character. For Ned, not so much.[/quote]

Well its subjective I suppose. But its my honest opinion that he's a terrible actor. I just find him very wooden.
Mind you, I think Brad Pitt is awful as well and a lot of people (including proffesional actors) totally disagree with me on that one.

I know I have a different take on how I visualize the characters than most people have... but something about the IMDB photo says Alliser Thorne to me. I can imagine the guy in that picture being spiteful, and enjoying cruelty towards young recruits. And there may be an air of low cunning that he'd need as Jon's internal dissent in the Night's Watch.

I'd love to see Ilyn standing over Ned with Ice held high. "There can be only one." The lightning can be from the Valyrian blade cutting into the stone or something. Sparks. Yeah, that's the ticket.

*cough*

Ok, maybe not.

This might sound funny from someone who first adopted "Myrddin" as a screen name on the offical Highlander boards (back when they were hosted by Rysher), but I don't see AP in ASoIaF.

The Highlander series is the only decent thing I've seen AP in. And the latest installment of HL on the [s]big screen[/s] Sci-fi channel premiere before being dumped on DVD did not add to his resume.

Wingfield on the other hand, should be getting a lot more than the bit roles he's been doing. Not sure what role I see him playing, though.

Archived