Best Jaime, but get ready to have your week ruined

Deaddard

He was always in my mind's eye as Jamie when reading the books, but even if alive he would have never done the role...even without his Joker role he was way too expensive a star but after it he would have been one of the top actor's in Hollywood - $20 million a picture, no question.

[quote name='Tyro Lannister' post='1591225' date='Nov 17 2008, 00.16']I like Heath Ledger, but I never really thought of him as a 'great actor' until I saw him in 'The Dark Knight'.[/quote]

he would have made the perfect jamie and i have thought of him as a great actor ever sense 10 things i hate about you

[quote name='Deaddard' post='1591193' date='Nov 16 2008, 19.29']Here's the deal. No matter who they cast for the lovable Kingslayer, the actor will fall short of what could have been.

And why is that, you ask?

Because the best Jaime there could have ever been is unfortunately the late Heath Ledger.[/quote]

i guess that's your opinion. the best jaime for ME is the one which exists solely in my mind's eye because i, y'know, used my imagination when i read the books. :P

[quote name='nya across the narrow sea' post='1591253' date='Nov 17 2008, 00.20']i guess that's your opinion. the best jaime for ME is the one which exists solely in my mind's eye because i, y'know, used my imagination when i read the books. :P[/quote]

good point me too
(with the exception of peter dinklage as Tyrion I can't help it he is who i see as tyrion in my head. of course he has Roy Dotrice's voice in my head ;) )

I don't think Ledger would have been a perfect choice. I don't think he has enough of that many feel and he doesn't look tough enough (in that handsome way the character obviously has) to be a knight, let alone a great one. I think they can find a better one that I will buy as being a knight.

I always thought Ledger was the perfect Jon. Yeah, yeah. Age... Hair color... Age... Blah, Blah, Blah. But I think it was his role and acting in "The Patriot" that sent my mind spinning that way.

Eh, I always thought a perfect Jaime, regardless of whether they could get them, would been Brad Pitt. With the looks and everything, plus the arrogance he radiates when he played Achilles in Troy is perfect for Jaime. Plus I think he's just a better actor than Ledger, The
Dark Knight notwithstanding.

[quote name='No. Now it ends.' post='1591926' date='Nov 17 2008, 16.36']Eh, I always thought a perfect Jaime, regardless of whether they could get them, would been Brad Pitt. With the looks and everything, plus the arrogance he radiates when he played Achilles in Troy is perfect for Jaime. Plus I think he's just a better actor than Ledger, The
Dark Knight notwithstanding.[/quote]
Eh, I thought he did pretty badly in Troy. Perhaps it was just the distraction of his Schrodinger's Accent.

The hardest part with Jaime is that not only do we need a good actor that looks like the character, he also needs to look very similar to the one that is cast as Cersei. They won't be able to be too dissimilar in order to maintain credibility as twins so I think one would have to start by looking at pairs of actors when thinking about casting these characters.

[quote name='ogbebaba' post='1591257' date='Nov 17 2008, 18.44'][quote name='nya across the narrow sea' post='1591253' date='Nov 17 2008, 18.20']
i guess that's your opinion. the best jaime for ME is the one which exists solely in my mind's eye because i, y'know, used my imagination when i read the books. :P[/quote]
good point me too
(with the exception of peter dinklage as Tyrion I can't help it he is who i see as tyrion in my head. of course he has Roy Dotrice's voice in my head ;) )
[/quote]

It's the one thing I don't like about film/TV adaptations before I've read the whole story. Before any actors are cast for a role my imaginary characters bear no resemblance whatsoever to any actor alive or dead. Even for Tyrion and even now that Dinklage is the popular favourite I still see him asa the image I've constructed while reading the series to date. Once the trailers come out for the pilot one of the best things about reading this sort of stuff will be taken away from me because the image and voice of each character will no longer be a creation of my own imagination, but will be the interpretation given us by the TV show.

[quote name='Tywin's bastard' post='1592045' date='Nov 18 2008, 12.09']The hardest part with Jaime is that not only do we need a good actor that looks like the character, he also needs to look very similar to the one that is cast as Cersei. They won't be able to be too dissimilar in order to maintain credibility as twins so I think one would have to start by looking at pairs of actors when thinking about casting these characters.[/quote]

Nah. There are plenty of twins around (esp of different sex) who are no more similar than any other brother and sister who are close in age (once they're adults that is). Same colour/texture of hair, same colour eyes and equally attractive will do the trick fine. More important I think is for there to be some semblance of similarity between Tywin and Cersei to physically augment the the self delusion in Cersei that she is the true heir to Tywin Lannister.

On Topic: While I always liked Ledger as an actor (and fellow antipodean) he wasn't the first actor who came to mind for Jaime, and I think there are plenty of as good or better options. Albeit none of them are likely and we will probably have to make do with a B-list action dude, since he isn't exactly a key dramatic role around whom the success of the series revolves.

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1592089' date='Nov 18 2008, 00.42']Nah. There are plenty of twins around (esp of different sex) who are no more similar than any other brother and sister who are close in age (once they're adults that is). Same colour/texture of hair, same colour eyes and equally attractive will do the trick fine. More important I think is for there to be some semblance of similarity between Tywin and Cersei to physically augment the the self delusion in Cersei that she is the true heir to Tywin Lannister.[/quote]
They aren't described as being particularly dissimilar as adults and I don't think it's that common that twins look just as different as non-twin siblings if they were so alike as children that almost no one could tell them apart. They see themselves in each other and that's why they are in love. Their similarity isn't exactly something that's just brushed over in the books and having dissimilar actors to play twins will automatically risk some suspension of disbelief for many people.

I have to say that I don't think the link of visual similarity to Tywin is very important at all, apart from the normal father and daughter issue. Cersei thinks herself as Tywin's real heir because she thinks she is the one who are as clever as he is, or rater even more so, not because she is his spitting image (since Jaime would then be even more alike, seeing how he is a man). I also don't think there's any reason to go through extra hardships to enhance this visually since it will be pretty easy to get the point across anyway.

[quote]we will probably have to make do with a B-list action dude, since he isn't exactly a key dramatic role around whom the success of the series revolves.[/quote]

I have to emphatically disagree. Universally one of the things people find most impressive about the series as a whole is the dramatic transformation of Jaimie from a hated villain to a character that people actually relate to. Basically it is the death of Eddard and Jaimies transformation that are quoted as proof that GRRM is a superior writer to most fantasy writers around today. No way could some "B-list action dude" pull this off. Jaimie is comparable to Swearengean from Deadwood in his transformation, they need someone equally or more flexible as an actor.

On topic: awesome as I think Heath Ledger was as an actor (did somoene actually say they thought Brad Pitt was better? Have you seen any of Brad Pitt's films? Ever?) I don't know that he was right for Jaimie.

Archived