Best Jaime, but get ready to have your week ruined

Deaddard

[quote name='kunamasnow' post='1592176' date='Nov 17 2008, 21.00']awesome as I think Heath Ledger was as an actor (did somoene actually say they thought Brad Pitt was better? Have you seen any of Brad Pitt's films? Ever?)[/quote]
This is off topic, but... what????

Are you seriously saying that Heath Ledger is a better actor than Brad Pitt based on the movies that he was in? In all fairness, Heath Ledger was very good in The Dark Knight, but that's about it. All the other movies that I've seen (Knights Tale, Patriot, 10 Things I Hate About You) with him in are quite bad. On the other hand, look at some of the movies Brad Pitt has been in. Fight Club, Snatch, and Se7en were all very good films. Babel and Ocean's Eleven are both pretty decent. I'm not saying that Brad Pitt is De Niro, but he definitely puts some good movies into the box offices.

So no disrespect to Heath, it's possible that The Dark Knight would have been the first of many good performances by him, but I just can't agree with you that he's an "awesome" actor.

[quote name='joepa' post='1592254' date='Nov 17 2008, 22.47']Are you seriously saying that Heath Ledger is a better actor than Brad Pitt based on the movies that he was in?[/quote]

Please, do not return to this thread until you have seen Brokeback Mountain. Thank you.

On topic, I really don't see Heath as pretty enough to be Jaime.

Ever since I started watching Sons of Anarchy I thought [url="http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080822/freshfaces/charlie-hunnam-anarchy_l.jpg"]Charlie Hunnam[/url] could play [url="http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/099E2m74RObHK/610x.jpg"]Jaime[/url]. He's a good actor and by the time the show gets going he would be the right age.

[quote]They aren't described as being particularly dissimilar as adults and I don't think it's that common that twins look just as different as non-twin siblings if they were so alike as children that almost no one could tell them apart. They see themselves in each other and that's why they are in love. Their similarity isn't exactly something that's just brushed over in the books and having dissimilar actors to play twins will automatically risk some suspension of disbelief for many people.[/quote]

You are aware of genetics right? The likelihood of fraternal twins looking very similar is no different to normal siblings. The perception of similarity is due to them being the same age. Jaime and Cersei could double for one another as pre-pubescent kids so yes there are obvious indications of similar looks. But once puberty hits, other than bumps and curves causing one to no longer be fooled by who is who, you have the significant hormonal effects on facial bone structure with the male jaw becoming more square and muscular development around the face giving a much more angular appearance. The only people for whom suspension of disbelief will be necessary are those who expect to see an equivalent degree of similarity between a man and a woman as you see between a boy and a girl.

[quote name='Venardhi' post='1592146' date='Nov 18 2008, 13.57']Jaime is at least as important as any of the other PoV characters, his arc is one of the most important and most interesting of the books. You simply can't get away with casting him as a blank-faced action hero.[/quote]

[quote name='kunamasnow' post='1592176' date='Nov 18 2008, 15.00']I have to emphatically disagree. Universally one of the things people find most impressive about the series as a whole is the dramatic transformation of Jaimie from a hated villain to a character that people actually relate to. Basically it is the death of Eddard and Jaimies transformation that are quoted as proof that GRRM is a superior writer to most fantasy writers around today. No way could some "B-list action dude" pull this off. Jaimie is comparable to Swearengean from Deadwood in his transformation, they need someone equally or more flexible as an actor.[/quote]

In terms of the books you are absolutely right about his arc being interesting. Although quite wrong about his story arc being as important as any other.

But Jaime doesn't become significant in a dramatic way until aSoS. Meaning you are making a risky investment if you fork out the big bucks for Jaime in GOT with no guarantee of pay-off in the long run. Given Jaime "ages" significantly during ACoK and you basically don't see him in series 2, if the show does gets all the way to series 3 you can insert a much higher quality actor for Jaime and the change will largely go unnoticed. If there are any flashbacks needed to re-establish the character in the audience's eyes you can re-shoot those scenes with the new actor. He won't be the most beloved of characters at the end of GoT, though he may well be a love to hate character. Therefore the audience won't be particularly endeared to his image and be shocked by any mid course change in actor.

Getting a good actor doesn't necessarily mean getting an expensive one. The only guys who can really demand a big paycheck are big name actors who are unlikely to do a TV show anyways. Why get a bad one when you'll be paying them the same as if you got a talented unknown? You underestimate the amount of unemployed talent in LA and foreign equivalents methinks.

[quote name='Venardhi' post='1592369' date='Nov 18 2008, 20.14']Getting a good actor doesn't necessarily mean getting an expensive one. The only guys who can really demand a big paycheck are big name actors who are unlikely to do a TV show anyways. Why get a bad one when you'll be paying them the same as if you got a talented unknown? You underestimate the amount of unemployed talent in LA and foreign equivalents methinks.[/quote]

You're not wrong there. But on the other hand there are many shows that seem to make it to at least one whole season with utterly crap actors/acting.

Alls I'm saying is that Jaime season 1 is not a pivotal season carrying role by any stretch, and neither is it a difficult role to carry off: playing an arrogant, up himself arsehole. Jaime doesn't develop any subtlety until season 3, and season 3 is a long way off. Even his season 1 wit is pretty one dimensional and forgettable (disposable). That is the great thing about GRRM's treatment of Jaime: his growing maturity, developing nuance and sharpened cynicism as a character in a natural way that does not appear at all contrived, nor does it alter his basic personality.

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1592356' date='Nov 18 2008, 07.23']You are aware of genetics right? The likelihood of fraternal twins looking very similar is no different to normal siblings. The perception of similarity is due to them being the same age. Jaime and Cersei could double for one another as pre-pubescent kids so yes there are obvious indications of similar looks. But once puberty hits, other than bumps and curves causing one to no longer be fooled by who is who, you have the significant hormonal effects on facial bone structure with the male jaw becoming more square and muscular development around the face giving a much more angular appearance. The only people for whom suspension of disbelief will be necessary are those who expect to see an equivalent degree of similarity between a man and a woman as you see between a boy and a girl.[/quote]
You argue like the books actually doesn't say that they are more alike than the average sibling pair and I have not at all said that the actors must be identical twins to get the parts so your last part of suspension of disbelief isn't an accurate answer.

They see each other as the opposite sex version of themselves, two halves of the same person, and are clearly described as being very similar so why even bring it up the average likelyhood of twins looking similar when we already have a story which is based on the fact that they are very similar? The books show other siblings that are alike without being twins but Jaime and Cersei are described as more than that. It's one of the great foundations that sets up how big the eventual tear between them becomes since it is shown both mentally and physically. Cersei for example hates his beard and short hair because then he no longer looks like her. The only technical genetic issue that could have been relevant in my view is if twins never look the same as adults, but that's not the case.

And I'm sure the average viewer expects a pair of twins on the screen to be pretty similar to each other, otherwise the point of having them as twins is lessened since they could still be born the same year.

I didn't quite get how you felt that the visual similarity of this story that is based in the books is less important than a newly fabricated likeness between Cersei and Tywin.

I never pictured heath ledger as Jaime. He was a decent actor, but he was not strikingly good looking. He wasn't bad, but not Jaime material. I always thought that Sawyer from Lost (John Halloway) would be a good match. Not a big stretch from Sawyer - good looks - check, cracking sarcastic jokes - check, inner conflict of good and bad - check.
[url="http://bestof.provocateuse.com/images/photos/josh_holloway_99.jpg"]http://bestof.provocateuse.com/images/phot...holloway_99.jpg[/url]
[url="http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bestof.provocateuse.com/images/photos/josh_holloway_99.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bestof.provocateuse.com/show/josh_holloway&h=752&w=500&sz=55&tbnid=ppUMqw0-sCcJ::&tbnh=141&tbnw=94&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djosh%2Bholloway&hl=en&usg=__73yDBsRllmzmu0rDrWBaZ-XjP7g=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=3&ct=image&cd=1"]http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...=image&cd=1[/url]

Josh Holloway is the right kind of actor but apart from that they shouldn't be taking stars from other current hit shows he's also too old. I assume we will have some age increase on many characters but Josh being 15 years older than the character in the book is probably a stretch. Still I think it's the right kind of thinking.

[quote name='Tywin's bastard' post='1592650' date='Nov 18 2008, 10.45']Josh Holloway is the right kind of actor but apart from that they shouldn't be taking stars from other current hit shows he's also too old. I assume we will have some age increase on many characters but Josh being 15 years older than the character in the book is probably a stretch. Still I think it's the right kind of thinking.[/quote]
He was born in 1969, which makes him 39. Jaime is what? 33-34? Hardly 15 years of difference. :)

[quote name='QueenCersei' post='1592669' date='Nov 18 2008, 10.54']He was born in 1969, which makes him 39. Jaime is what? 33-34? Hardly 15 years of difference. :)[/quote]
No kidding, and a 40-year old actor can certainly play a man in his thirties (or even twenties, sometimes). It happens all the time.

The only reason I don't want Holloway as Jaime is the accent, myself. If he can ditch the redneck drawl, then by all means try to get him. He may not want to get typecast though. ;)

[quote name='QueenCersei' post='1592669' date='Nov 18 2008, 16.54']He was born in 1969, which makes him 39. Jaime is what? 33-34? Hardly 15 years of difference. :)[/quote]
I was hungry and not thinking straight so apparently got some number from my calculations in there instead of the real one. Very clumsy of me no matter the reason. I still think he's too old since he might be about 41 when the season is to be shot and I think there should be enough actors closer to 30 to play Jaime, even though it's not uncommon to do age stretches like that. It's not exactly always an invisible stretch though.

Not that it matters since him currently being a star in a major show is a much bigger reason why he's unsuitable imo.

[quote name='Jacen' post='1592290' date='Nov 17 2008, 23.26']Ever since I started watching Sons of Anarchy I thought [url="http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080822/freshfaces/charlie-hunnam-anarchy_l.jpg"]Charlie Hunnam[/url] could play [url="http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/099E2m74RObHK/610x.jpg"]Jaime[/url]. He's a good actor and by the time the show gets going he would be the right age.[/quote]

you beat me to it i was going to say the same thing

Heath Ledger would have been great

Sadly, I don't think he would have done it - after Brokeback and Batman - he was the most sought after actors of our time

His death is a tragedy - that man could get into a characters skin...he would have had an amazing career

[quote]Are you seriously saying that Heath Ledger is a better actor than Brad Pitt based on the movies that he was in?[/quote]

No. I am saying he was a better actor than Brad Pitt based on their comparative acting WITHIN the films they were in. Their acting, not the quality of the films. I'm not saying that Brad Pitt can't act, I think he was pretty excellent in fight club but he can also be pretty pathetic (see: the Mexican, Mr and Mrs Smith) only that Heath Ledger was better. As someone else suggested, watch Brokaback Mountain. Awesome, wether you like the movie or not his depiction of the role and its growth is just fantastic.

However, he probably wasn't really pretty enough for Jaimie. Sigh.

I think they would do well to get a good unknown who is pretty for Jaimie. I completely agree with Venardhi: why get a bad unknown when you can get a good one? It makes absalutely no sense to cast with the idea of changing actors between seasons when you could just get a good one to begin with.

[quote name='superkick' post='1592623' date='Nov 18 2008, 17.22']while Josh Halloway would be an awesome choice I see it highly unlikely considering hes probably already being paid extravegantly on lost, Lost will probably never end (seriously J.J abrams is jsut makign shit up as he goes), and conflicitng schedules will prevent it.[/quote]
1. Lost will have 6 seasons. This was decided before season 4.
2. Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse are showrunners, not J.J. Abrams. From what I understand, he's not actively involved with the series anymore, but still gets executive producer credit.
3. As of season 4, they no longer seem to be making stuff up as they go.
4. Josh Holloway would make a great Jamie.
5. Heath Ledger was great as the Joker, he's not even close to my first choice for Jaime. My week is ok.

Archived