Straight from the Pages SPOILERS FOR ALL BOOKS

The moment I read the Bear Pit rescue, I realized it was THE SCENE for me. I would have so much fun doing it. Also, after reading the Red Wedding, I realised I would do this whole project just to be able to shoot that. Masterpiece and all

Others that are particularly powerful to me are:

-Chett's prologue. We get this whole sense of rutine and annoyance, and then it gets progressively draker and colder, and then a blast, two ("We're under attack! The wildlings are coming!") and then...a third. Deep, profound, ominous, terrified silence...and the realisation. Eight thousand years since that call was last heard. Death is coming. Wow

-Battle of the Blackwater. Any great director would have the time of his/her life with this

-Jaqen and Arya free the prisoners at Harrehall, and in the middle of chaos, Jaqen changes his face and offers Arya to take her away

-Tyrion's last chapter in SoS is a piece of brilliance, from beginning to end

-Brienne's passionate speech to Catleyn about "it's always summer in the songs". Though, actually, I'm talking more about the acting than the filming here

-Doran revealing his plans to Arianne. "Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood"

I think all of these scenes would translate well, and many, many more. I believe this is a result of one of Martin's greatest assets as a writer: he writes so vividly, so cinematically (can you use that word as an adverb?). Sometimes I will get lost when an author starts describing something complex in-depth, like a city. Never so with Martin. Every sentence of his seems to spring to life, every word cut out a detailed image for the reader.

I'm gonna try and remember if there are any scenes in particular that I would enjoy seeing on the screen, the trouble is narrowing it down to just a few.

[quote name='Tears of Lys' post='1595929' date='Nov 20 2008, 20.38']I've always thought the scene between Petyr (Littlefinger), Lady Lysa, and Sansa in the tower room was one that would film well. A real shocker.[/quote]

I agree. This was one of those jaw-dropping, blink, and re-read parts of the books.

Of course, Ned and Ilyn Payne at the Sept of Baelor the Blessed. Personally, I can't wait to see all the reactions to that one.

I think the second chapter of A Game of Thrones really made me realize how cinematic a story it is; I could totally envision Lady Catelyn Stark walk among the trees of the heartwood, the shadows of the branches dancing on her face, as she walked to where Lord Eddard Stark was sitting polishing the greatsword Ice. It was so vividly described..

[quote name='Slynt' post='1600833' date='Nov 26 2008, 05.11']I think the second chapter of A Game of Thrones really made me realize how cinematic a story it is; I could totally envision Lady Catelyn Stark walk among the trees of the heartwood, the shadows of the branches dancing on her face, as she walked to where Lord Eddard Stark was sitting polishing the greatsword Ice. It was so vividly described..[/quote]

this is something I am really excited for. I can't wait to see how they do the godswood... hey I wonder if they would have valaryian steel do the swords for the movie.

One scene they would have to include is the Jaime being interrogated by Catelyn and saying "There are no men like me. There's only me."

Also Qhorin Halfhand's death.

And Craster's.

Most of the deaths, actually.

- When Jaime loses his hand. Here's how I imagine it: Just as the Dothraki guy (forgot name) swings his ataghan, the screen blacks out, and we hear a terrifying scream of agony. End credits. Awesome.

- When Petyr kisses Sansa. Also, most of the scenes from AFfC where there is interaction between Sansa and Petyr.

- Catelyn - Jaime confrontation.

[quote name='Paxter' post='1593323' date='Nov 18 2008, 15.59']The Oberyn vs. Gregor fight scene would make for very compelling viewing. I second the House of the Undying as well.[/quote]

There are a lot in the book that stand out for me. I have to say this one in particular. I think the Sandsnakes would make a nasty enemies!! The character Oberyn Martell does not take up a lot of space in this book, but none the less, one of the most memorable for me!!

I look forward to hearing who they have cast to play the" Red Viper"!!

Another for me, would be Samwell Tarley, and his fellow brothers, and their long endurance run from the Others.

I look forward to just sitting back, and watching this story unfold on the screen.

[b]Jon meeting Tyrion for the first time outside the great hall at the feast in Winterfell.[/b]
Fist encounter with my two of my favorite characters.

[b]Catelyn scaling the Eerie.[/b]
The first encounter with the Eerie was cinematic, the insurmountable castle makes for some cinematic eye candy.

[b]Jon walking the wall.[/b]
A boy, his wolf and a 50 feet wall in the middle of the night at the end of the world.

[b]The Watch heading out beyond the wall.[/b]
The excitement I felt when the Watch headed out to the unknown would make for some great tv.

[b]Ayra escaping from Harrenhall.[/b]
Thunder flickering and rain pouring down as she sneaks up to the guard, furthermore this is a bit of a tragic moment as she kills the guard, the definitive tipping point of loosing her innocence. Sad sweeping music as she races through the night.

[b]Sansa making a snowcastle at the Eerie. (one of my favorites[/b])
Perhaps one of my favorite scenes. As with Ayra this is where I felt the innocence of Sansa Stark was lost, where she no longer believes in heroes and noble knights. Then there's the snow falling down and frost emitting out of her mouth and the silence around, very bitter sweet.

Definitely the "you raped her, you murdered her" sequence. I got a chill reading that whole fight scene and I remember thinking that it would make a perfect scene in a movie (or I guess TV series). The cadence combined with the battle has a certain rhythm. "She was Elia of Dorne and you will say her name" or something like that would be a perfect line for film. Absolutely perfect. Damn, I can't wait to see it (probably take a decade).

Also where Tyrion confronts his father in the privy.

[quote name='Lil' Joey Clegane' post='1610838' date='Dec 6 2008, 02.19']Definitely the "you raped her, you murdered her" sequence. I got a chill reading that whole fight scene and I remember thinking that it would make a perfect scene in a movie (or I guess TV series). The cadence combined with the battle has a certain rhythm. "She was Elia of Dorne and you will say her name" or something like that would be a perfect line for film. Absolutely perfect. Damn, I can't wait to see it (probably take a decade).

Also where Tyrion confronts his father in the privy.[/quote]

Agree totally, the Red Viper vs Clegane fight would be fantastic.

Also the Whispering Wood, the echoing of all the warhorns, "Harooooo!" and then Jaime's line; "I'd offer you my sword but I seem to have misplaced it", should make for fantastic viewing.

Also from the first book and concerning Jaime, the murder of Jory and Ned falling beneath his horse. The rain in the scene will make for perfect pathetic fallacy on screen.

Others that I can't wait to see: The Red Wedding (though it's kinda bitter-sweet for me, for obvious reasons) and there's a scene in front of one of the slaver-cities where Strong Bulwas fights a mounted champion. I think that kind of single combat in front of Dany's massed ranks of Unsullied and the defenders on their ramparts would be great.

P.s. first post :D

There's so many.

Reading through all of these suggestions got me picturing them all over again, and I got this little stomach-clenching thrill. I cannot [i]wait[/i] to see this.

I'm going to have to go back and reread with a cinematic eye.

Joffrey's murder. Elena coming up behind Sansa and messing with her hairnet, the jousting dwarves to torment Tyrion, the pouring of the wine. Joff falling dead and accusing his uncle.

Oberyn vs. Gregor as mentioned above.

Finding of the wolf pups. The symbolism of the stag and the direwolf, collecting the litter of pups. Jon turning back.

Arya given the coin to find the Faceless Men and the words [i]Valar Morghulis[/i] being spoken for the first time.

Jon being chosen the 998th Lord Commander of the Watch.

Archived