If the show isn't selected

Maithanet

So, lets say the pilot gets made (it certainly should at this point, but nothing is for certain). In the event that HBO decides to pass on the project, what happens? Will the pilot ever see the light of day?

I could see there being some benefit of letting the video out, because if there were a strong enough fan reaction, they might A) reconsider or B) sell the show to another company. However, this could also create problems for them, because people would always be clamoring for shows to get made that HBO has already decided aren't their thing. I don't really know the procedure for that.

On a side note, would you even want to see the pilot, if you knew that HBO had already passed on it, and therefore the pilot is all there would be? Could you deal with seeing the Others in the flesh and Bran forever falling from the window?

I doubt I would have the self control to resist seeing it (if given the opportunity), but I suspect I would regret my decision. If it were bad, I would be worried that whenever I picture the characters I would use their image of it, rather than my own imagination. And if it were good...that would make me very sad.

I would want to see it, but I'm pretty sure it would have to be some bootleg version. I doubt the pilot for this unmade GoT series would ever officially see the light of day. If you know more about show production at HBO, please tell me I'm wrong.

HBO doesn't release pilots for shows they don't pick up. It would have to be leaked if you wanted to see it, or you'd have to know someone who had access and could let you take a peek.

Theoretically, I suppose HBO could sell the rights and the pilot to another network (Showtime?), but I would also expect that it is fairly unlikely. The buyer would have to pay out whatever was spent by HBO on the rights and the pilot, that's how it works with these things.

That's called going into turnaround, right?

I _do_ know that one of the recent projects HBO had went into turnaround, but no other network was interested in picking it up. IIRC, it was the curious case of show that had gotten a series pickup after the pilot, and they were in production on the first several episodes, and something wasn't clicking to HBO's satisfaction. Can't quite recall its name.

[quote name='Ran' post='1613987' date='Dec 9 2008, 17.53']That's called going into turnaround, right?

I _do_ know that one of the recent projects HBO had went into turnaround, but no other network was interested in picking it up. IIRC, it was the curious case of show that had gotten a series pickup after the pilot, and they were in production on the first several episodes, and something wasn't clicking to HBO's satisfaction. Can't quite recall its name.[/quote]
Yes, turnaround is the term. The problem for HBO is that for many of their shows there is probably only one other likely potential buyer, Showtime (and vice verse). I suppose for some channels like F/X or Fox might go there, just toning it down a bit, but other shows are just not going work.

[quote name='Ran' post='1613987' date='Dec 9 2008, 17.53']I _do_ know that one of the recent projects HBO had went into turnaround, but no other network was interested in picking it up. IIRC, it was the curious case of show that had gotten a series pickup after the pilot, and they were in production on the first several episodes, and something wasn't clicking to HBO's satisfaction. Can't quite recall its name.[/quote]
Was it 12 Miles of Bad Road?

Don't worry. Even if it doesn't get picked up, someone will leak it online. I remember the True Blood pilot was online months before it first aired.

Won't be a problem anyways because it is going to be picked up :bow: :bow:

If it doesn't, it's obvious what we have to do: R.I.O.T.

Seriously though, I'm sure that HBO won't pass this up. A prime-time fantasy TV series, when was the last time that was done.

Hopefully HBO will have the ability to see gold when it's right there in the suits' faces, and not kick themselves later for passing it up (ie Disney [Miramax] bailing on LOTR).

Oh god. I just found out that Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series already has a tv show. Produced by ABC-Disney (ahaha). Filmed in new Zealand. They already have a bunch of episodes, all watchable on hulu. It's called Legend of the Seeker.

If this drivel continues to get produced while the Song of Ice and Fire pilot doesn't get picked up, we'll know there is zero justice in this world!

EDIT: Just noticed the extensive discussion of this show on the board already.

[quote name='Sword of the Evening' post='1620371' date='Dec 15 2008, 19.51']If it doesn't get picked up, we have to raise our sights.

MOVIE!!! MOVIE!!! MOVIE!!![/quote]A movie isn't exactly an upgrade, I'm not sure how many episodes are going to be in the season (8?) but regardless there would only be at least half as much content. Maybe if the TV show was being made by some other channel, but I think we can expect good things from HBO.

[quote name='Argive' post='1618661' date='Dec 14 2008, 02.39']Oh god. I just found out that Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series already has a tv show. Produced by ABC-Disney (ahaha). Filmed in new Zealand. They already have a bunch of episodes, all watchable on hulu. It's called Legend of the Seeker.

If this drivel continues to get produced while the Song of Ice and Fire pilot doesn't get picked up, we'll know there is zero justice in this world![/quote]
Honestly, I'd take what we have now - a pilot being produced by the best TV company in the world, with awesome dedicated producers who are fans themselves, and actually interact with us board members - over what's happening to the Sword of Truth series. Even if it doesn't go ahead.

[quote name='Sword of the Evening' post='1620371' date='Dec 15 2008, 18.51']If it doesn't get picked up, we have to raise our sights.

MOVIE!!! MOVIE!!! MOVIE!!![/quote]
George doesn't see it as a movie. He has long said that the only format he could see working for the series is episodic cable TV, specifically either HBO or Showtime - and he had been saying that before it ever got optioned. Honestly, each book is about as long as all 3 LotR books together, to put it in perspective. So you'd need about a 9-12 hour movie to even begin to do just the first book justice, which is essentially the lengths of the entire LotR, theatrical (around 9 hours) and special edition DVD (close to 12)...again, for each book.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1623901' date='Dec 18 2008, 02.16']Right. There ain't no way on God's green earth it could work in any form but in a series. We should be thankful that we have HBO because seriously, if anyone else had bought the rights (besides maybe Showtime) a ton of the fans would be running for the hills fearing what a Sam Raimi could do to this thing. Luckily George is on record saying only HBO would do and while everyone sells stuff up, I tend to believe him. He was a huge fan of Rome and Deadwood which I believe. Nothing like Bridget Regan trying to claim she's now a fantasy fan.[/quote]

well the first thing i'd hope for would be the leak of the pilot. then after that, Showtime or F/X picking it up. Nip/Tuck, The Shield, Dirt, Sons of Anarchy are all pretty violent and have some nudity so it'd work out if it came to that.

Archived