Excellent Computer Game

Merentha

This thread was posted on the old forum, but I felt that it deserved to be renamed here, especially in light of recent developments. The game is an excellent medieval combat simulator entirely developed by two people, and, since they made the game themselves, very easily modifyable. visit taleworlds.com, where you can download a demo, and the game itself. (It is currently under development, so the plot is non existant, but the fighting is superb.) In addition, a map editor and the official mod tools are available, so modding should be quite easy. Anyone want to make this into asoiaf mod? I will start, but i could use help. sheek, bigwig? anyone else?

Here is sheek's original post, as he started the topic on the old forum:

I came across this excellent game a couple of weeks ago called Mount & Blade. It focusses on medieval style combat of on average 30 but potentially unlimited combattants. So far only the combat has been done but that is amazing, especially the mounted combat. The horses are unbelievable (see some of the screenshots), especially considering it is being developed by just two people with limited resources and outside any corporate structure. Which brings me to the big point, that it is free to download ($10 registration to play beyond level six) and completely open-ended / customizable.

The world definitely needs fleshing out (though functional it is still only half way through development) but theoretically with new modding tools that have been announced you could design a whole world, with towns, characters, factions and any units you want. In my opinion this would be an awesome mod for ASOIAF. The focus on mounted combat and travelling around a chaotic world with your own band of recruited warriors and 'heroes' is extremely Westeros. It would take a lot of work to make it follow a story-line but would be ideal for a generic Westeros themed world where your own character is pretty much free to do as he wants. Just change the existing factions and add new ones to represent Lannisters, Starks, Tullys etc and different types of neutral / bandit groups each with their own quests, units and cities.

Anyway enough introduction here is the web-site:

www.taleworlds.com

Try it out and get the key for the full (past level six) version if you want (and I recommend it). Have a look on the forums for the mods that are already being developed. If enough people are interest I'd be ready to do some work on this. Even if like me you don't have much experience with modding (although I can decode basic scripts and do some image editing) I think there's a lot anybody can do in the way of deciding what factions, characters to have, quest / plot ideas, which era it is set in and so on and so forth.

Specifications wise I think this game runs on any relatively modern PC. The download is about 30 Mb and about 65 Mb installed.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried out this game and was very impressed. It took me a while to get the hang of the combat system but having done so I had great fun riding round chopping people up. I don't think it wouldn't be very good at handling the big battles associated with the series, but it would be perfect for a riverlands scirmish setting with the BwB, the Freys, the Lannisters and maybe the cranogmen and more besides.

I know the game pretty well, and I've repeatedly used it to justify my reasoning on the Elder Scrolls forums (the official forums for the Elder Scrolls games, the last released was Morrowind, the next is due to be released early next year, Oblivion). I was hugely impressed at how well they (two people) managed to create such a good game.

I hadn't thought about it being changed to be a Martin game, but it does seem very well suited to it. The only other games (already mentioned) that would fit are the Elder Scrolls games, which could be modified quite easily to achieve it.

• 1 month later...

I am bumping this thread largely because the very early segments of the mod are going to be released (hopefully) sometime this weekend. See details here

Great game, I am loving it, and the mods are incredible as well. Hopefully, the Ice and Fire mod will be one of the greats.

It's a testament to the nature of the game that I've been playing it more doggedly than any of my full length, retail games. To me, the combat just screams of the type required for any medieval game (Not the sit back and watch paint dry, of WOW or NWN2..much as I love NWN & D&D). If Age of Conan helps to streamline it for multiplay, then we might see it becomming the Norm.

A little bit of news, there might be two asoiaf mods in development now. A broad southern-Westeros wide warmod, and a more plotline-based mod set only in the riverlands. I guess I can keep posting here, but there doesnt appear to be much interest.

Graphics requirements are not that high, after all, the game is only a 37 mb download. Unfortunately, as there is no Level-of-Detail implemented, in the larger battles the fps can drop, especially with lots of cavalry. The demo is free too, and gives you enough of the game to see if you like the combat system.

Hey everyone, I'm the jerk that posted that other map in the M&B thread. I have always wanted to be part of a Westeros mod for M&B ever since I first bought the game and realized how perfect it is for it, but now that another mod is announced I don't want to be seen as intruding or competing with it. I just want to know your opinion as aSoIaF fans; should I try to go on with the Riverlands-based map? Would any of you be interested in it, or better yet, interested in helping out with it?

I'm a very big fan of M&B, though I've yet to buy the full version of the game since I do not have a credit card or a paypal account. (Though I'm planning to acquire one)

Keep up the good work on the ASoIaF mods, I'll be sure to try them out when I buy the full version of M&B.

I don't play computer games that much and don't know which ones you are talking about. The initials mean nothing to me.

If someone could recommend some good games that feature action, more than five million little pieces moving around. Something where I get to whack away with my sword a lot, sort of like Medal of Honor or Call of Duty, except set in a medieval fantasy game. pc or mac.

Archived