How easy is it for Stannis to threaten Jon?

Samalander

If I found out that she was a liar out for some hidden agenda, then that's one thing. I'm dubious about that as a character direction, but it would depend on execution and GRRM could certainly do it in an interesting way.

However, if it turned out that Melisandre honestly believed that Stannis was Azor Ahai but retained enough perspective to question her basic assumptions in the manner that you're imagining, then I would find that hard to swallow given how she's been painted thus far.

That's interesting. I can't be sure about this, but I assume that most readers would find the first option less likely. To tell you the truth, I began questioning my previous perception of her as a character when it was confirmed she would get a POV. I'm still trying to process why George took this step. Does he need an outside perspective on Jon? Is that her purpose? Or is it for Stannis because Davos will die or won't be there? Or does her having a POV relate to her specifically?

That's interesting. I can't be sure about this, but I assume that most readers would find the first option less likely.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that it's likely. But I think that it wouldn't sacrifice character consistency.

To tell you the truth, I began questioning my previous perception of her as a character when it was confirmed she would get a POV. I'm still trying to process why George took this step. Does he need an outside perspective on Jon? Is that her purpose? Or is it for Stannis because Davos will die or won't be there? Or does her having a POV relate to her specifically?

My suspicion is that GRRM needs somebody to be there when Shireen gets sacrificed, and if Jon were there, Jon would be trying to stop it somehow. (The same applies to Davos.) Also, I really don't see Davos getting reunited with Stannis at any point in the near future--Wyman Manderly can't let the news of his survival out until his son is back at White Harbor, which won't happen until some time after the end of AFFC, and probably not until he's willing to commit to allying with Stannis.

Maybe. Maybe not. Even if Jon is Robb's half brother, does he have Robb's blood? I'd say not. Robb was the King, not Eddard.

true

but when Greatjon proclaimed Robb king he based it on him being direct descendant of Kings of the North. Same right Jon has now. If not in Westeros Jon would have had greater rights to claim the crown than Robb.

• 1 month later...

I think that Stannis is making a mistake in forcing this issue. As Jon says, the biggest mistake he could make is giving southern lords northern halls. There is a reason that so far Stannis has only managed to cement the loyalty of the Karstarks, the family who broke their oaths to Robb, and who have fought against the Lannisters numerous times with Robb, forcing them to turn to him as their only option.

I think that the choice he made to listen to Davos' advice and go to the Wall was a good idea but it's caused a host of new problems. The real problem is that he relies far too heavily on Melisandre and her advice always involves burning people.

He was able to win a significant number of the lords who pledged themselves to his brother Renly through her help, yet he still lost the Battle of the Blackwater. It wa a bad decision to murder his brother, and who knows? He may have cursed himself in the process, esspecially since I don't think that even Rhllor would exactly be impressed with fratricide.

On a side note, Melisandre seems to me to be rather unsettlingly like the maegi woman that Dany rescued in the sense that she seems to be more witch woman than red priestess. I'm predicting that Stannis' alliance with Melisandre will turn out rather badly for him.

Archived