Calendar - Signed with Invisible Ink?

Given

[quote name='Wolfheart' post='1629914' date='Dec 25 2008, 08.43']By the way did anyone ever recieve a order confirmation in their email when they made their purchase( This excludes any Paypal stuff), Im talking directly to your email? Also did anyone also recieve the tracking number and shipping information of said order when they said they had.

For those that had not recieved those confirms, what online email service do you use? I want to see if there is any common thread to this issue.[/quote]
Yes I got a direct email from DB confirming my purchase and giving me a tracking number. It was only after weeks of waiting for it to come, that I clicked the link to find my current tracking status as blank (ie. not even shipped yet). Then a couple of days later when they finally did ship it, I got another direct email from DB saying it was shipped, and clicking the link to the USPS tracking number then showed the status as 'shipped'. So their order confirmation process was fine by me. I use hotmail.

I'm still waiting to receive it though, and my brother got a lovely piece of cardboard from a cereal packet for christmas.

nah I hear u guys. Everyone is right. Wouldn't you all still buy whatever it is that you wanted to buy even if it was coming out in February though?
It's not like there are other ASOIAF calendars on the market. It's bad business but the product is still great from them. I do understand not getting it in time for gifts if that was the case. I'm about to put mine up even though its not January yet lol.
Hopefully the 2010 comes out early and is a 13 month one we can get up in December with an extra month of art to make up for this.

[quote name='Given' post='1629986' date='Dec 24 2008, 18.54']The only confirmation I received was my Paypal confirmation when I made the original order. Nothing from Dabel. No tracking number, shipping info, nada.

Can't speak for everyone else, but I paid $55 for a calendar that was supposed to be signed by GRRM and arrive in November. What I got was an unsigned calendar that arrived in late December with absolutely no explanation included as to why it wasn't signed. If you ordered a signed Tom Brady football, and it came without a signature or any explanation as to why it wasn't signed, would you be happy? Ish don't think so. Customers shouldn't have to root around on the internet in order to find answers to why their "signed" item arrived unsigned.[/quote]

Ok so Given is kind in the same boat as I am. He only had info through paypal. But I'm further in the hole as I have yet to recieve this so called "pushed print" those of us that order the Signed edition with goodies. And its Christmas day. And if you look through their FAQ they pretty much explain that if the order didnt "go through" they didnt get it. I paid for it and have record I did just like Given above.

I can't locate a phone number on their site, anyone feel like sharing it with the link to it on the page?

I couldn't find a phone number on their website. Maybe someone more resourceful than I can locate one. My gut instinct, however, tells me that there isn't one. All you can do is email them at the [email protected]. Good luck getting a reply.

That's terrible that you haven't even received the unsigned version of the calendar yet. :thumbsdown:

[quote name='Given' post='1630272' date='Dec 25 2008, 12.14']I couldn't find a phone number on their website. Maybe someone more resourceful than I can locate one. My gut instinct, however, tells me that there isn't one. All you can do is email them at the [email protected]. Good luck getting a reply.

That's terrible that you haven't even received the unsigned version of the calendar yet. :thumbsdown:[/quote]

Like as I noticed on their FAQ they added "If you havent recieved it by December 29th but believe you should have Email Les Dabel " So we'll see if Les responds to my emails concerning my issue before the 29th even if i receive the pushed print by the 29th. I'll leave one small chance that the USPS or whoever they used hasnt gotten it to me yet.

But its surprising they have no number to contact.

[quote name='phoenix_rising' post='1630416' date='Dec 25 2008, 21.05']i paid for mine in august and as of christmas day dont have a calender in my hands......i emailed 4 days ago and no response yet... Caveat emptor i guess...... :([/quote]

Luckily there are things that protect a buyer from "caveat emptor"

I did a little research on the company adding in my google search "complaints" and it seems to be something that follows them. I even found an ex employees blog. A Public relations person from Dabel that quit.

[url="http://www.seanjjordan.com/2008/04/20/so-ive-left-dabel-brothers-publishing/"]http://www.seanjjordan.com/2008/04/20/so-i...ers-publishing/[/url]

search in the blog by crtl-f and search "customers" read the paragraph.
I truly appreciate a company that can make good on promises and ship an order still. They have such good products but I cant think for the love of God why such poor customer service.

Thanks for posting that link. Here is an excerpt that seems to really echo what many people are going through with the calendars:

[quote]So, I handled the PR. I wrote the catalog copy. I lined up press. I wrote up marketing plans. I did everything that was asked of me.

And then, one day, the Dabel Brothers stopped answering my phone calls, and stopped returning my emails. It was strange. I was waiting on several things to be approved, and waiting on several issues to be addressed. [b]I’d been getting lots of email from customers who had purchased products from the DB store and who’d never received their orders.[/b] Like a good PR manager, I did my best to deal with complaints and to make everyone happy.

And then, one morning, I got a letter from someone recently hired on at the company telling me that I was being reclassified as a freelancer. The tone of the message seemed to be blaming me for low sales of the recently released titles — a goal that was never set and a measurable over which I had no control. After all, retailers were tired of all the chaos associated with the Dabel Brothers. They weren’t ordering because they didn’t have a lot of confidence, something I explained to the brothers frequently.[/quote]

Krafus,

Contractual problems between DB and Marvel ended up causing a break in their agreement, which means that Marvel got all the properties that DB brought to the table during that contract. The calendar was a license they got from GRRM after that happened, so it's their baby.

GRRM has said that the status of future Dunk & Egg adaptions is unclear, but it will be at least two years (post-publication of [i]Warriors[/i]) before a comic adaption will be done of the next Dunk & Egg story, "The Mystery Knight", since there's a two year exclusivity for stories in the anthology. Whether it will be adapted at all, and whether that adaption will happen with the Dabels, Marvel, or someone else -- too early to tell.

I do think that GRRM very much appreciates the enthusiasm of DB Pro in trying to bring literary SF&F properties to comics.

Krafus,

The only license Marvel has was to publish "The Sworn Sword" and, I suppose, to republish "The Hedge Knight". They don't have a license on future D&E stories, though perhaps they'll be interested in adapting "The Mystery Knight".

And yes, the two year exclusive means that the stories published in [i]Warriors[/i] cannot be adapted or reprinted outside of the anthology. It appears to be a standard part of anthology contracts, as the same issue came up with adapting "The Sworn Sword" when it was published in [i]Legends II[/i].

[quote name='Krafus' post='1630661' date='Dec 26 2008, 10.34']Ran,

Thanks again. It will be interesting to see what GRRM decides to do with "The Mystery Knight," if he does want it adapted. On one hand, GRRM seems to favor DB, but on the other, both Ben Avery, who adapted THK and TSS, and Mike Miller, the artist who drew both comics, have apparently left DB for good, and GRRM might not want to break that continuity.[/quote]

What I was looking around for was if the lack of customer service and response was a trend. What seems to be appearing is a common thread between buying an order, signed version or not, in August and not recieving order confirmations, tracking info, and orders "not going through" even though they have paid for them. *shrug* we'll see if they or we can shed light on the issue. And Im still recieving no responses from them privatley. Anyone else have any luck, and be honest.

Anyone who has recieved a package from them on the calendar recently can you send me privately their snail mail address. Since they dont have a phone number nor address i can find online to send a letter to.
Id rather hear answers and solutions to the matter.

I don't know where this thing about their having left DB Pro for good comes from, but presumably if a good contract came their way to work on "The Mystery Knight" from DB Pro, they would consider it. I didn't think either men are under exclusive contract with anyone, or whether they'll be under exclusive contract into 2011 or 2012.

The comics world is interesting in that the Big Two are pushing exclusivity contracts to left and right, primarily for popular artists and writers, but pretty much no one else is doing so.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1630661' date='Dec 26 2008, 10.34']Ran,

Thanks again. It will be interesting to see what GRRM decides to do with "The Mystery Knight," if he does want it adapted. On one hand, GRRM seems to favor DB, but on the other, both Ben Avery, who adapted THK and TSS, and Mike Miller, the artist who drew both comics, have apparently left DB for good, and GRRM might not want to break that continuity.[/quote]

I dont know why GRRM doesnt just move all his licensing and rights all over to Fantasy Flight Games to handle all his printing of these sorts of products. They are reliable, reputable, have great customer service, create beautiful work and I cant forget to mention they made a beautiful ASOIAF Art book!

FFG doesn't do comics or calendars, far as I know. And they'd actually have to have interest in doing that before they could go to him for a license. ;)

The art book was actually packaged by a third party (admittedly, a former FFG employee who struck out on his own) rather than by FFG itself. And it mostly relied on reprint art, rather than original art.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived