My discussion with one of the producers

Hopefully he knows what he's doing. She didn't think he does, but was ready to be proved wrong. I think a lot of us have forgotten just how large the cast for Game of Thrones is. This show is friggin BIG. McCarthy certainly has no experience with battles, CGI etc. We will see. And yeah, i didn't ask about that but she seemed to be assuming he would be a longterm director. Could change of course.

Odd. I thought it was unheard of to have one director for all episodes of a series, which is the interpretation people (seem to take from your words. Or do you mean long term in that McCarthy would do some but not all the episodes...? I'd think 4 out of the 12 would be the most one director could handle, depending on shooting schedules and such.

So was your friend the leak that got shitcanned by HBO for leaking news?

Odd. I thought it was unheard of to have one director for all episodes of a series, which is the interpretation people (seem to take from your words. Or do you mean long term in that McCarthy would do some but not all the episodes...? I'd think 4 out of the 12 would be the most one director could handle, depending on shooting schedules and such.

Yes, by long-term series director he'd be doing every other episode, probably sharing the workload with two or three other directors.

So was your friend the leak that got shitcanned by HBO for leaking news?

No. She didn't get fired, its her business partner who is working on Thrones.

HBO has passed on pilots before, so can't take it as guaranteed. That said, the one passed pilot I know of was a show that had legal difficulties (the person whose work it was based on was being sued for libel and defamation, IIRC, connected to that work) and that may have motivated HBO to drop it. OTOH, a number of people who cover HBO in the trades suggest HBO can't afford to go ahead with every single thing it has in development. I suppose it may be that a lot of shows won't hit the pilot stage, but even so ... maybe the odds of a season order feels like an 80% at this stage?

As far as McCarthy goes, I recall it being suggested that the most important contribution he'll have is setting the tone for how the series will be shot. Presumably if HBO is really as sure as Not Appearing's friend feels they are, then maybe even a disasterous directorial job from McCarthy wouldn't derail the project -- they'd just show him out and hire someone else to handle the second episode, and use that one to really mark the style of the show...

But, we shall see. I think Werthead brings up the very good point that McCarthy's experiences as an actor on The Wire -- a novelistic series with a sprawling cast -- might well have given him some ideas for how to translate A Game of Thrones onto the screen. As to his lack of experience with the massive post-production of a fantasy series like this ... well, Peter Jackson had hardly any practical experience with a large scale production prior to LotR, and we know how his gamble and that of the studio that backed him paid off. I'm not saying McCarthy is the next Peter Jackson or anything, but clearly, it's possible to pick up directing such a big project.

One might compare him to Tom Hooper, who directed soaps and comedies in the U.K. until he was pegged to direct HBO's Elizabeth I, another large production with a fairly large cast. Did quite well there, and that led to his directing the prestige series, John Adams, to very good effect indeed.

The other thing is that on a TV show, the director has a much bigger support network than on a film. Films live and die by their directors and having an unconfident or overwhelmed director can be utterly disastrous for a movie, whilst on TV a lot of the heavy-lifting bureaucratic work a film director deals with is instead handled by the regular producers and showrunning executive producers, leaving the director free to concentrate on the job at hand.

Also, as has been pointed out, the pilot is mostly character scenes with very little action or even big scenes outside the Winterfell and Pentos wedding feasts. Those are well within Tom McCarthy's powers.

Also, if McCarthy is serious about developing his directing career, as he appears to be, than at some point he will be offered a much bigger directing gig, possibly a blockbuster of some kind, and if he chooses to go for that he will need to develop the skills needed for such a task. I can actually see him treating GoT as a practice ground for possibly bigger stories he wants to tell in cinema later on.

Also, as has been pointed out, the pilot is mostly character scenes with very little action or even big scenes outside the Winterfell and Pentos wedding feasts. Those are well within Tom McCarthy's powers.

Yes. Whatever about his lack of experience with the big battle scenes, the pilot is a different story. :) He should be fine there. And if things work out, he can direct more episodes. Given how good his 2 films are, I think he is a very good chance of getting things right.

I have been contemplating a way HBO could create a larger audience base for their shows and make more money to boot. This won't work with all their shows, but they should consider given it a try with GoT. I am speaking of HBO releasing GoT on the big screen right after it airs each week on HBO. Hollywood back in the 30's and 40's would just pump out a series of movies with the same characters and I am not talking just serials either. I believe GoT has the ability to not only captivate the HBO audience but the Worldwide moviegoers too. If GoT has the production quality of Rome and the performance to go along with it, HBO should consider taking each episode or maybe combine 2 episodes together and dropping them on the big screen.

I mean this could be a boon for the movie industry. Imagine GoT playing like the old serials but be actually like Gone with the Wind broken down into 3 parts and released in theatres over 3 months. GoT would reach a whole new sector of the market and HBO might even get an increase in subscribers. You won't want these movies being released too close to each tv episode, lets say combine 2 episodes and release them on the big screen after the 3rd or 4th episode airs. So each movie is released in theatres every 3-4 weeks, since most movies make 70% of their gross those weeks anyway. The particular movie is replaced then by the next one and so on. HBO subscribers wont' feel ripped because they watched the episodes first, and then many would go to the theatres to watch them again on the big screen, imagine the possiblilties.

HBO could consider two options, toning down the sex some and getting a hard PG13 rating or keeping it with an R rating. Fantasy is very popular with moviegoers, Harry Potter, LOTR, NARNIA, STAR WARS, PIRATES etc. If successful it could generate an extra 100-150 mil for an R rated version or 250-300 mil for a hard PG13 one, that would be up to the marketing execs to figure. Those numbers are just U.S. gross, worldwide fantasy grosses are usually 2 1/2 times US market, so we could be talking about 300-350 mil or 600-650 mil for each 2 episode movie. Multiply that by 6 movies per year and you are talking almost 2 billion for a R rated and 3.5 bil for a PG13.

HBO execs should crunch the numbers and figure the percentage of average moviegoers subscribing to HBO, if it is like 30% or less they might seriously consider this. Afterall reaching more consumers with a product to make more money off that product is one of the purposes behind industry. This might be the engine that brings back a modern version of the ole movie serial and revitalizes the movie industry.

:cheers:

Well, that could be a solution! A way to sell thrice the same: to HBO subscribers, to geeks (and any other who wants to see it in big screen) and finally to other channels. Could be a good idea! And it would allow geeks to see it legally and, if not immediately, at least very soon.

I've never heard of something exactly like that. I once saw a manga series (8 chapters, 1/2 hour each) in a marathon, but it was a geek experiment in a cinema festival. And, to tell the truth, four hours was far too much!! At the end the entire theatre was singing the japanese main theme, and I could barely feel my ass.

Two chapters would be ok ;)

I am speaking of HBO releasing GoT on the big screen right after it airs each week on HBO.

Interesting idea, but it is not like you (I presume you are not working for them) can propose that to HBO. How about organizing a GoT marathon in various cities around the world, hosted by the local BWB? Contact HBO ahead of time, like now, about doing this, and this may inspire them to go with your idea instead. They'd probably be thrilled with the interest at least.

If they go for the marathon idea, fans will get a chance to see the series with other fans (presumably after the season has aired). I know here in Toronto it is not hard to book a theatre for that sort of event, but you do have to have several months lead time. Creating a relationship between BWB and HBO may not be a bad idea, like how theonering.net has a strong relationship with Peter Jackson.

This is such an interesting idea! Yesterday, one of our members, David H (only his second post) posted this in the 'What's Your Country' thread. So, the concept of showing television products on the big screen has been done and is being done in some countries. I guess the issue now is--what can we here to promote it for GoT, so that our members in countries who can't get the HBO feed can view the series?

David H's post:

Back when I lived in Mexico they would show Monday Night Football games on the cinema, it was quite cool! you would be able to buy bear and watch football on huge screens and all.... I was thinking that if HBO permitted airings for their shows on cinemas in Europe they would get some nice money out of it and keep the people happy.... just an idea....

Well, I've seen many operas in the cinema (two theatres do this in my city, at least). Is not as cool as seeing it live (amazing!), but it's ok, with HD. The transmission is simultaneous in many theatres all over Europe. So it's obviously possible to book a theatre here, and is a way to make some money a tuesday night... And of course it would be a lot easier to show two recorded chapters than transmitting a live show.

EDIT: I looked in the web of one of the theatres and it seems they make a lot of events:

Sprots: Soccer, Formula 1, Tenis, Red Bull Cross Fighters (whatever this is), Other championships

Concerts: HD, by satellite

Videogames championships (WTF??): FIFA 06 (XBox) Dragon Ball (Play Station), etc

Archived