imdb plot synopsis online!

WightMeWorry

[quote name='WightMeWorry' post='1630662' date='Dec 26 2008, 07.35']Well, someone added something anyway. Don't know how "official" it is. Here's the link: [url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/plotsummary"]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/plotsummary[/url][/quote]
Now, if only an official cast would be posted....

I think any one with an IMDb Pro account can put in a synopsis. Before this one it read something like 'The lords and knights of Westeros use swords and magic to fight evil'. It was pretty ridiculous, this at least is a little more interesting.

[quote]undead horrors.[/quote]!!!

Dang it! Why did this synopsis writer have to mention the zombies? OK so they are there, but sticking it right at the end of the synopsis turns it suddenly from an intriguing sounding medieval fiction into some sort of B-grade schlock sounding fusion of 'The Tudors' and 'Resident Evil'.

Should have put "inspired by the historical events of the War of the Roses..." or something like that.

[quote name='Rinso' post='1633872' date='Dec 30 2008, 22.12']Well, the whole thing with the zombies is important part of the story... Dare I say, [i]the most [/i]important...[/quote]

Personally, I agree with you and don't have a problem with mentioning the more fantastical elements of the series in a synopsis. But from the perspective of HBO trying to market this series, it might be better to (at least initially) play down the more fantasy-esque parts of the story and concentrate on the historical fiction portion. This will (hopefully) attract a wider audience to the series.

But the fantasy elements are downplayed in the book [i]either way[/i]. For the whole AGOT there are only three appearances of fantastical creatures, such as the zombies and probably one or two prophetic dreams. Everything else is grounded in reality. If they downplay it even more, there is danger to make the fantastical elements appear too convoluted and out-of-the-blue later on. I don't think that they should market ASoIaF like a historical movie, because, well, it's not and nothing good comes out of false marketing.

[quote name='Rinso' post='1633915' date='Dec 30 2008, 23.23']But the fantasy elements are downplayed in the book either way.[/quote]

True. Once you get past the pilot-episode appearance of the Others and get used to the Direwolves, there is not a great deal of fantasy in AGoT. Therefore, it wouldn't really be false advertising to give the marketing a more "historical fiction" style tilt. I'm not sure about your argument that the fantasy elements will seem too out-of-the-blue later on. I mean, the Others are in the first scene, right?

Anyway, I don't want a make a big deal out of this discussion, because hopefully most people will just give AGoT a shot despite the advertising and then get completely hooked after hearing "The things I do for love"...;)

@ Rinso:
dragons, direwolves and others appear regularly...
how is that only 3 appearances?
also, there was that manticore scene...

dragonglass candles, horns that control dragons, magicaly controled gates in the Wall, "reviving" Drogo, qyburn's experiments with undead, skulls of dragons decorating the throne room -> all fantasy elements, NOT grounded in reality...

i agree that it is a lot more subtle then in LotR, or other fantasy literature, but fantasy elements are nothing if not present in aSoIaF...

[quote name='baxus' post='1633931' date='Dec 30 2008, 23.41']dragonglass candles, horns that control dragons, magicaly controled gates in the Wall, "reviving" Drogo, qyburn's experiments with undead, skulls of dragons decorating the throne room -> all fantasy elements, NOT grounded in reality...

i agree that it is a lot more subtle then in LotR, or other fantasy literature, but fantasy elements are nothing if not present in aSoIaF...[/quote]

Well, to be fair to Rinso, some of the fantasy elements you mentioned (Qyburn's experiments etc.) do not appear in AGoT. And Rinso was expressly referring to AGoT when saying "Everything else is grounded in reality".

The Dragons, Others, and Direwolves are the biggies. There's also Bran's TEC dream and the raven that announces Ned's demise. The Crones of Vaes Dothrak--crones are creepy in general. Mirri Maz Dur and the shadows dancing in the tent, Drogo and his horse's shades visible in the flames (in fact, I believe they see an image of him cracking a whip as the first dragon egg hatches). The Dragon skulls. The layout of the Eyrie is spectacularly fantastical, if not magical. So there are fantasy touches scattered throughout, but it's subtle. Not just bookends--I think there's enough there to give a little reminder each episode that this is more than historical fiction.

Direwolves aren't really all that far-fetched. They actually existed at one point in our planet's history.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direwolf"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direwolf[/url]

The only fantasy I read completely before ASOIF was LOTR. Everything else left me wanting or bored me to tears, for the most part. Martin is so subtle in his use of fantasy machinations that you tend to forget it's meant to be fantasy. I don't think the fantasy elements, to date, in any of the novels is too much for anyone to buy into. They're done so well that they just seem to belong no matter how hard one tries to set them aside as "not to be believed".

[quote name='Rinso' post='1633872' date='Dec 31 2008, 02.12']Well, the whole thing with the zombies is important part of the story... Dare I say, [i]the most [/i]important...[/quote]

Their essential importance to the unfolding story is beside the point, especially given it isn't the zombies, per se, that are important at all. They are only important in relation to the fact they are the WMD being used by t'Others. Just like the dragons are only important because they are the WMD of choice for the Targs.

It's the impression the schpiel on IMDB makes regarding the presence of zombies to the uninitiated. If I had no clue about the books, then read this synopsis, I'd be turned off at the mention of zombies.

I shrink away from the story's characterisation as "historical fiction with fantasy elements". It is not at all historical. It is medieval in its setting and gets thematic elements from the War of the Roses. Calling it historical fiction is misleading marketing, linking it thematically to the War of the Roses is a fair representation of some underlying themes, and provides some thematic context for those who are unfamiliar with the story.

Archived