BwB meet-up in York: 29th May weekend

Padraig

I have exams on the Wednesday so I'm thinking it's best to show my face at work on Thursday as I'll have been off for two weeks revising prior to that. So I reckon I'll travel up Friday and back on Monday. Must book some holiday for that...

If people are up for heading out for a day at the races on the Saturday, here's a linky with the prices - [url="http://www.yorkracecourse.co.uk/home/fixturedetails.aspx?id=56"]York Racecourse[/url]

You can get in for as little as £5 but I'd go for the £13 option.

[quote name='Ser Sean' post='1643324' date='Jan 10 2009, 00.30']If people are up for heading out for a day at the races on the Saturday, here's a linky with the prices - [url="http://www.yorkracecourse.co.uk/home/fixturedetails.aspx?id=56"]York Racecourse[/url]

You can get in for as little as £5 but I'd go for the £13 option.[/quote]

sounds good :) should be able to make it at the very least for Saturday / Sunday so that would be on my 'to do' list - went to York races a couple of years back and it was a good day out!

After some issues with booking time off (the usual back-stabbing bitchfest) I now have the Friday and Monday off. So I will be there Thur - Sun inclusive. :) Let's just hope I don't get ill as is the norm right after exams.

• 2 weeks later...
Attendees
Malt Sat-Mon (maybe Fri also)
Isis Thur-Sun
Ten Fri-Sun
Chal Fri-Sun
Sean Fri-Sun
William Fri-Mon
Slick Fri-Mon
Dunhallym Fri-Mon

Sophie
Zollo
Eloisa
Tomfoster
Padraig

Maybe
Derfel Fri-Sun
Iceman

And Wert is going to check accomodation at the University?

[quote name='Padraig' post='1676396' date='Feb 6 2009, 14.17']And Wert is going to check accomodation at the University?[/quote]

Yeah, I forgot about this. Will get back on it ASAP. My contact is out of town until next week though.

[font="Times New Roman"][size=3]This is moving ever closer and as nobody has stepped up and as it has been generally agreed among us that a vague itinerary is preferential to just milling about, I will volunteer my services to organise a few events.[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size=3]Should there be no objections I’ll first need to enlist Tomfoster (and anyone else who wants to help) as co-organiser, as he has good knowledge of York and more importantly, York’s nightlife.[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size=3] [/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size=3]My initial thoughts are –[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size=3][color="#0000ff"]Friday Evening[/color] – Ghost walk followed by Drinks at or near final destination or A historic pub crawl.[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size=3][color="#0000ff"]Saturday Daytime[/color] – York races[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size=3][color="#0000ff"]Saturday Night[/color] – Either hire a function room or reserve an area in a pub and then on to a cheesy club.[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size=3]Let me know what you think or if you have any other ideas.[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size=3][color="#ff0000"]Accommodation[/color] – I’m not going to book any accommodation en masse but I’ll help anyone who needs it and provide links to hostels, B&Bs and hotels. [/size][/font]

Like the sound of that :) I've tried looking for accommodation and it looks like it will be pretty tricky for us to do the usual everyone in one hostel thing anyway... mainly because there seems to be a serious shortage of actual hostels in York. Though I may be looking in all the wrong places :dunno:

I should be there from Friday night to Monday (I thought I had already said so ?).

I have to say I have little to no interest in races, so are there other things people who don't want to go to races can do? Unless you convince me that going to the races is something one really has to do ;).

Yay. I've always wanted to do a ghost walk. :thumbsup:

I don't mind doing some research/helping out a bit NOW, but from April to the end of May I'll be othewise engaged with uni. I will start looking at potential accomodation...

[font="Times New Roman"][size=3]Can but approve of all Sean's ideas. :)
[/size][/font]
Btw, one other lodging possibility is [url="http://www.stakesby.co.uk/accommodation.htm"]Holiday Flat[/url]. This was suggested before by Tenalpia IIRC. Some people may be doing their own thing but we could book Fri and Sat nights there, when we have a lot of people.

So are any people interested in doing a group booking? And does this place seem ok?

Archived