MMA 2009

Ser Barry

According to his record, he lost his first UFC fight due to DQ (illegal knee to face), I'm assuming a knee to the head of a downed opponent.

Yeah, you got it, that's what I was referring to. For the dumbest rule in MMA see Silva v. Okami.

I'm almost dreading to see which Shogun shows up. The fight against Coleman was a joke. Am praying he'll come in and show everyone what he can do, but after touting how great he was to anyone who would listen to me and seeing him get humiliated in his two UFC fights, I'm not gonna say another peep about him until he shows he can get back to his former self without juicing.
It's hard for me since everytime he fights my buddies are always like, "Hey isn't that your boy?" Last time I said whatever and just watched the fight. He's given me little reason to believe that he will turn it around, but he does have legit reasons for being sluggish. The Griffin fight came after a bit of a layoff and the Coleman fight after an even longer one.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him win or lose, but I am in no way confident. Plus his style isn't the greatest way to beat Chuck as he isn't as patient or defensive a fighter as Rampage or Rashad or even Jardine. That said, if he can't pick anything up from what they were able to do and win this fight, he doesn't deserve to stay in the UFC and keep getting paid what he's getting paid. Chuck is on his way to retirement, and so far in the last year and a half all of the old men sans B-Hop have been getting their asses handed to them and been bounced out of their sports. I just ain't bold enough to predict it. But I can't pick against him either bc if he wins I want don't want to be one of the cats who left the bandwagon.

Ah yes, knee to the head of a downed opponent. It was James Irvin who got the dq victory, no? I've said it before, remove that rule and GSP becomes even more devastating. You should have seen what he was able to do back in his TKO days. He massacred Thomas Denny by kneeing him to the head and body when he was down. (Hmmm. That gets me thinking. Wasn't the Quebec commission's supposed beef with the UFC their allowance of knees and elbows to the head? TKO was/is a fight league out of Quebec. I don't know if their rules remain the same as back in GSP's day, but they allowed knees to a downed opponent's head then. That whole things sounded like such hog shit from the get go. At least they let it go with no foot stomps. Who want to see Anderson Silva fight with no knees or elbows to the head?)

I hope Chuck and Shogun both manage to look impressive. Both of their backs are to the wall and I'd like to both of them shine again.

Well Shogun looked pretty damn good.

Now on to the real main event.

ESPN/Sherdog seemed to think that the main event was a thoroughly piss-poor fight. Thoughts/observations/comments?

Brutal. That main event was basically five rounds of Silva v. Cote sans the concern for Cote's one punch knockout power. Anderson tried some pretty nifty stuff (Leites' left leg has GOT to be jacked from those front side kicks to the shin) but he had a dude fighting incredibly defensively and diving for guard without a hope all over the place. It was just a bad match up. It seems Thales copied Cote's game plan but without trying to time a big right. The whole fight I was just confused as to why Silva wasn't going for a Thai clinch so he could just proceed to murder like he has. No spinning backfists/elbows or flying knees either. I don't know why, because Silva didn't have anything to fear on the ground either, so he should have let fly with the stuff that made him famous. Brutal, but I was still upset to hear the crowd booing Anderson. I guess they were pretty liberal with the boos during the undercard too, from the write ups over on Junkie.

Sad to see Chuck go out on his shield. It was a good fight though. I don't know. It's not like Chuck is just getting dominated or anything. He just keeps getting caught. He still seems to have the ability to stuff takedowns and get back to his feet against elite fighters. He's just getting beat to the punch lately.

Heart broken for the crow. That was the one Canadian on the card I was really hoping would come out with the w. Sounds like Herman put on a clinic though.

I'm going to guess Stout/Wiman gets fight of the night. Rua is probably getting knockout of the night and Khrystoff got submission of the night.

Cane/Cantwell was a pretty good stand up war.

All in all, I didn't feel this one lived up to the hype or my expectations. Sometimes the most stacked cards fall flat. What to do? They can't all be barn burners.

3-4 on the undercard. 4-0 on the main card though I was too scared to pick my boy Shogun's fight but I can finally say this:

WAR SHOGUN!!!

On to Spider's fight. I said it after the Cote fight, Silva fights the same way every time. He rips holes in the defenses of fighters that attack him but rarely engages first. He's always been a technical fighters which is why I like him so much. He does most of his real damage in the clinch but Leite would fall down every time Silva even thought of putting him in the plum clinch. Leite would roll on his back any time Silva came close to damaging him inside. This is why MMA needs to allow stomps and soccer kicks and keep guys from stalling tactics. Of course Silva isn't simply going to jump into Leite's guard. He did the same thing to Lutter at one point. If he hadn't submitted Lutter it would have been a similar fight. Watch it again. Anyone who hasn't noticed that Silva is a cautious fighter simply hasn't been paying attention. It's the main reason why noone has ever been able to hit him flush since coming to the UFC. He hasn't changed his style, his opponents have gotten more reluctant to engage with him.

WAR SILVA!!

I'm also upset to see Loiseau lose tonight but I'm happy for Dennis Kang. A bit here and there for Canada tonight. Hopefully the Crow will get another shot. Hate to see him go back to the tiny shows he's been doing.

Shocked to see that the screen didn't go black when Cung Le came on for an interview. To be sure the graphics listed him as an "actor" but Goldilocks was asking him MMA questions so maybe DW will dock him some of his pay. Or maybe DW really does like Strikeforce. I still assume that he was lying about that.

boring fight but it was an absolute clinic by silva. couldhehavepressed more? of course but lets not forget and not to sound like myboy herm edwards but we play to win the game and if you can win taking little to no damage then more power to you

Archived