The Judging Eye by Scott Bakker

kcf

The witch-spy - what about the possibility that she's using a new spell, or Cant? In the 20 years since Kel learned the Gnosis, I wouldn't be surprised if he's passed on some of his new discoveries, especially to a School so firmly under his thumb as the Swayal witches would be. That's what I figured anyway.

The other possibility is that none of the Yatwer inner circle had ever met Eleva face-to-face before. It did mention that they'd travelled from all over the Three Seas for the meeting. Also, there's good old fashioned disguises and stuff as well. Find a witch that vaguely resembles Eleva. Dye her hair, whatever, make her look like her mark.

About the Simas skin-spy - according to Maith, Simas was a freak, a skin-spy with a soul, something the Consult hadn't been able to replicate.

[quote name='Jon AS' post='1716983' date='Mar 12 2009, 06.38']IIRC it's Celmomas who prophecises the return of an Anasûrimbor, right before he dies.[/quote]

Oh yeah. Could still work for Celmomas, since it seems to be bleeding through. Nau-Cayuti asks Seswatha who Mimara is.

[quote name='Brady' post='1716983' date='Mar 12 2009, 06.38']The witch-spy - what about the possibility that she's using a new spell, or Cant? In the 20 years since Kel learned the Gnosis, I wouldn't be surprised if he's passed on some of his new discoveries, especially to a School so firmly under his thumb as the Swayal witches would be. That's what I figured anyway.[/quote]

I think it's this rather than a conventional disguise. The witch is described, once the glamour is gone, as buxum and improbably young.

Does it have to be a new kind of magic? Sorcery is always easily detectable by other sorcerers, so using it to infiltrate any organization who can call upon their own sorcerers would be rather pointless. What made the skin spies effective was that even the Mandate or the Imperial Saik couldn't detect them, but the Cult of Yatwer obviously does not employ any witches.

Good point. Come to think about it, the Cishaurim infiltrated the Scarlet Spires, do we know if that was done with imposters? And it's hard to imagine Kellhus not making any more use of the Psuke, which would handily explain how there could could be a sorceror spy in Akka's party (one of them's Kianene too).

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1677182' date='Feb 6 2009, 15.02']I think it's also clear that Cleric is going to be a nonman that was involved with Seshwatha but not hugely part of the apocalypse dreams. He's going to dream of him in one of the stubbed toe type of dreams and realize who he is and what he's about.[/quote]

That is certainly one possibility...

A second, I think, is that Akka, with Cleric in tow, runs across another Nonman/group of Nonmen who recognize Cleric...

In which case, there's pretty much one of two possibilities:

1) They recognize him as some dispossessed ishroi, and pay some sort of respect/homage to him.

2) They recognize him as some dispossessed ishroi, and a nonman sorcerous brawl breaks out.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1720571' date='Mar 15 2009, 23.15']Indeed.

I may be reading to much into it but there's this passage in which Mimara observes that she understands that Cleric is one of the true powers in the world. Now it's possible that all that does is suggest that Ishroi are all that but I lean towards it suggesting that whoever Cleric is, he is one of the best of the best, one of the most elite non-men left in Earwa.[/quote]

The Tolkien-esque similarities to Bakker's stories are well known. Initially, I thought the 'Return of Anasurimbor' was going to be the Aragorn/House Isildur/Elendil parallel...

However, now I am not so sure... Something tells me we are going to see a much, much darker version of the 'return of a king' via Cleric, and the Nonmen... Which would be totally freaking awesome, IMO.

It will be interesting to see whether, at the end of all the Earwa stories, the Nonmen are still doomed to insanity and eventual extinction of their race... Whether some miraculous (or mundane) solution to their problem (having no females) will arise... Whether they will go down in a wicked-ass blaze of glory... Or whether, as Mick Jagger says, Old soldiers just fade away....

I'm totally pulling for the blaze of glory. A wicked, sorcerous blaze of glory, with lots of parabolas of light, psalms of destruction, and cackling singing-laughter.

Re-reading PoN, I noticed that every time Akka went on a Seswatha-Gnostic-rage, he was also described as laughing or cackling as he spoke his sorcerous words... It made Cleric seem a little less mad, actually, since everyone seems to do it.

Archived