Weather Thread

add-on

Apparently, a [url="http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/possible-blizzard-bitter-cold-in-forecast.html"]blizzard[/url] is on its way to Chicago.

Thank god Daley caved on the snow plow thing. We would be seriously fucked otherwise.

So, how's the weather by you?

That article doesn't go far enough, man! Tom Skilling was on WGN radio earlier today saying that after the snow tonight and the cold and wind on Tuesday that we're looking at another possible 6-12 inches of snow on Wednesday before Thursday will be lucky to hit zero on the thermometer!

Oh yeah!

This winter is getting on my nerves as well. Mild temperatures and a lot of snow means the ice hasn't frozen well enough to travel to my hometown. I wish it would go to -20 degrees C or more for the next few weeks but that's not likely to happen. :(

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1646309' date='Jan 12 2009, 17.38']'Bout 70 degrees and sunny.[/quote]

You could have lied to us and said there was at least a single cloud in the sky that blocked out the sun for about fifteen seconds in the middle of the afternoon...

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1646328' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.46']You could have lied to us and said there was at least a single cloud in the sky that blocked out the sun for about fifteen seconds in the middle of the afternoon...[/quote]

I saw a couple of swirly clouds in the distance. Through my open sunroof.

We don't get January weather like this. Very, very unusual. But oh-so-nice!

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, wanted to bolt for the wine country today.

Guest thebadlady
[quote]Police: St. Cloud woman tried to set boyfriend on fire[/quote]

Tried? She failed because its so cold here even fire fails.

[quote]Snow began falling in the metro area around 8 a.m. today and 3 to 5 inches are expected to pile up before it ends this afternoon. To the south, blizzard warnings are in effect for counties in southwestern Minnesota while Winter Storm warnings are in effect for counties along the Minnesota River from Ortonville to Mankato and eastward to Rochester. The warning area also includes counties along the Minnesota-Iowa border where up to 6 inches of snow could fall, the National Weather Service said.[/quote]

Its so nasty I closed my bedroom blinds so I wouldn't have to look at it. God, its cold.

Most of that snow is going to miss us here in Indy... which actually kind of sucks, because our Superintendant is a stubborn a$$ who won't close schools just due to temperature, even though we're expecting wind chills around -30 this week... when the first kid waiting for a bus keels over dead, then *maybe* he'll wise up. :thumbsdown:

Its cold, but its not horrible. I'd say its just above freezing right now and it really hasnt been that bad all winter. We've had our share of miserable cold/ rainy days but no ice or snow storms.

However, I just caught the 6 o'clock news and the weather man said to expect it to be around 10 degrees on Friday morning with temps in the teens and 20's all weekend (thats about -12 - -5 in C). Just in time for a couple million out of town guests to enjoy some mid-Atlantic weather. I hope at least half of them are from California, some suffering will do them good after thier warm weather smugness. :)

I'm sorry, you're all freezing your bot bots off and it's probably miserable. I don't think I would enjoy a season that consistently cold.

But I have to say, I'm so over this summer and can't wait for the colder seasons.
Course in Sunny Queensland winter hardly ever gets unbearable cold.

It's 9:30 am here and already it's 29C it's projected to get to a top of 37C but there are a few clouds
here's hoping for a nice storm to break the heat and humidity.

good luck with the snow storm. sounds like a nightmare to deal with and live usual lives in those conditions

[quote]good luck with the snow storm. sounds like a nightmare to deal with and live usual lives in those conditions[/quote]

I love it myself. I honestly cannot stand too much heat but I guess it comes from where you grew up. A winter without ice and snow would suck.

[quote name='Brady' post='1646457' date='Jan 12 2009, 19.55']I think the thing I love most about summer is the old fellas who pass me when I'm doing yardwork, lathered in sweat, and they nod knowingly and say "Hot enough for ya?"

Sometimes I hear it two or three times a day. It never gets old.[/quote]

That's actually a line I've been using this winter with customers in line while we're chatting. It's a great way to start a conversation about the crummy winter weather...

Guest thebadlady
[quote name='Brady' post='1646457' date='Jan 12 2009, 17.55']I think the thing I love most about summer is the old fellas who pass me when I'm doing yardwork, lathered in sweat, and they nod knowingly and say "Hot enough for ya?"

Sometimes I hear it two or three times a day. It never gets old.[/quote]

We have the temp extremes here so in the summer we have the geezers asking just that question too. In the winter they ask if its cold enough for ya. Love it.

[quote name='snake' post='1646447' date='Jan 12 2009, 19.48']I love it myself. I honestly cannot stand too much heat but I guess it comes from where you grew up. A winter without ice and snow would suck.[/quote]

Hmm...I disagree. Although I wasn't born here, I grew up in Atlantic Canada, and I would be deliriously happy if the temperature never got below 10C. I hate the cold. I hate the snow. I hate the ice. I hate the nipple shattering wind chills. Fuck winter. Fuck it all to hell.

We had about 20cms of snow yesterday*, which was a bitch to get home from work in, and we're expecting about the same again on Wednesday. Boo.

*Warning! Rant ahead! The higher up muckity schmucks would never dream of closing the University on the weekend. It probably didn't look so bad from their warm cozy living rooms. They don't have to get home in it. I sent two of my staff home, because they live a ways out of the city, so it was just two of us all day.

I guess it will take another staff member to die trying to get to work. Yes, this actually happened about two years ago. The buses stopped running because of bad weather, and no one thought to call a mentally challenged guy who worked as a cleaner. He walked to work from the West End, which is at least an hour and a half walk on a good day. He froze to death in a snow bank about 10 minutes from campus. His family never even got an apology, probably due to fear of being sued. Classy.

[quote]Hmm...I disagree. Although I wasn't born here, I grew up in Atlantic Canada, and I would be deliriously happy if the temperature never got below 10C. I hate the cold. I hate the snow. I hate the ice. I hate the nipple shattering wind chills. Fuck winter. Fuck it all to hell.[/quote]

Scrooge of winter you are. :P

Snowmobiling, hunting, trapping, ice fishing. It's all good. I hardly even drive an automobile in winter but because this one has been so warm there's no ice. It ain't fair I tells ya. I'll gladly take any cold weather you people want to send my way.

Archived