Weather Thread

add-on

That's been our weather for about a week though it did somehow manage to sprinkle a bit the other day.

This is perfect weather for me but by the end of the month we'll be close to Hotter Than Forty Hellstm mode. We're also expecting rain. Maybe sometime in September or October.

Yawn.

ETA: Looks like DC is in for an exciting week. I am actually kind of jealous.

No! I've had enough excitement. It was sunny all day today, but now that I am about to leave work I can see the clouds gathering outside. :cry:

Pretty sure this last month is God's way of telling us that he hates America, becuase he's really been crapping on the Capital lately. At this rate I am doomed to a life of the farmers tan.

Pretty sure this last month is God's way of telling us that he hates America, becuase he's really been crapping on the Capital lately.

Trust me, he hates New England too. It's all us damn librals.

• 10 months later...

A little thread necromancy so I can share what's happened here in RI.

For those who are interested and don't already know, our region has broken numerous rainfall records this month. Several rivers went over 12 feet above the flood stage. The Pawtuxet River, which runs up close to Interstate 95, overflowed it's banks last night and crested early this morning. Unfortunately, the sewage treatment plant is in the same area and has since overflowed, with untreated sewage, all over the surrounding are, including the highway.

Here's an aerial of the Warwick Mall (you can click on the photo to enlarge it).

I left work early yesterday when the river was 1 foot below cresting into the highway. I worked from home today and it looks like I'll be here again tomorrow and maybe Friday. I'm so thankful I have the option.

I'm also thankful that I live in one of the few houses that has not had any leakage or flooding into the basement. My parents' sump pump is pumping out water at about the rate it's coming in. Residents in other towns weren't so lucky.

Ye gods. That doesn't look like any fun at all. I'd heard about the flooding there, but there's nothing like an expandable picture to impress you with the seriousness of it.

Glad to hear you're staying somewhat dry. :grouphug:

Some of the flood pics I've seen are really amazing. Our area didn't get hit as bad so I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw the news. It's weird but it always seemed like floods like this happened other places. The old dried up creek by our house isn't dry anymore! Thank goodness for sump pumps!

Is it weird that I'm fascinated by how the different structures are essentially acting as weirs, channels and pipes? Hydraulic jumps! Maybe I should have gone into hydrology instead of structures...

It's weird but it always seemed like floods like this happened other places.

I think that's how many of us felt about this mess.

Dams have broken, bridges and sections of road washed away. What a mess. Officials have said this flooding has surpassed all their flood models they had for the area.

ETA: This is what has me really worried. The long lasting impact on our environment.

Be safe there in RI. The environment will recover--it'll take a little time, but it'll be okay. Nature is a lot more resilient than we give her credit for.

True. But I love my shellfish and lobster, dammit!

I hope your home stays safe in the flood Bale. I have to agree, the sewage problem would be one of my worst fears too. Yuck.

This thread was brought back at the right time for me. We have reverted back to winter here. I looked out the window this morning and it appeared there was an actual blizzard outside. Luckily, the wind was really making everything worse.

Archived