Weather Thread

add-on

[quote name='dalThor' post='1646874' date='Jan 13 2009, 11.35']Though we had someone from the board visiting in December from England and she wore shorts, it HAS been quite cold for us here so far this winter.

It actually dipped below freezing once or twice.[/quote]
Anything below 5°C is cold, it is known!

Yeah, it's cold and snowy. SO WHAT?? I'd rather freeze my ass off than sweat my ass off. The world looks like a snow globe someone's upended. Wherever there's a hill, there's kids sledding. Wherever there's a spot of water - be it, creek, river, lake, there's people skating. The evergreens are frosted, the housetops sparkle, and things move a bit slower... especially the idiots who spin out on I-75 and have to be towed out of a snowbank.

I'm feeling pretty good right now about it, but ask me again later this week when the thermometer's supposed to dip a lot lower.

I'm in SoCal, so I won't bother detailing the weather... but shit, its weeks like this that I realize exactly why LA is so insanely expensive to live in. Anyway, going to Mammoth this weekend to snowboard, so I'll see some snow. ; )

Regarding the heat - humidity is far worse than the heat (plus it adds allergies). One advantage of the desert...

After freezing my ass off for weeks upon weeks, I finally got my heater fixed. Of course, I immediately get hit with a heat wave. Oh well. Some sort of Santa Ana winds thing. It sounded like a hurricane outside last night. I had to put heavy things in front of all my backyard gates because the latches all broke.

Guest thebadlady
-29F here without factoring in windchill.

[quote]The coldest air spilled across the Canadian prairie into the Dakotas and Minnesota. Grand Forks, N.D., dropped to a record low of 37 degrees below zero Tuesday morning, lopping six degrees off the old record set in 1979, the National Weather Service said.

In northern Minnesota, it was 35 below zero in Roseau and 36 below in Hallock, with wind chills down to 45 below in Hibbing. Some areas saw blizzard conditions.[/quote]

*puke*

I am here to confirm the bad roads around Chicago. 294 + ice and some slush = spinning across 5 lanes of traffic into a semi. Fun Stuff. Then the plows are tearing up the roads so bad I thought I was on the gravel section of 90 coming home. How can the state charge tolls and then let the roads get so bad?

It is -8F here with snow and the temp in my office is a balmy 58 degrees...but I suppose I at least have an office to come to.

I really want to move someplace warm...

Why do I live here again?
[quote name='CBC' date=' Tuesday, January 13, 2009']Cold-weather records shattered in 6 Manitoba towns
An Arctic ridge of high pressure brought clear skies and light winds over southern Manitoba on Tuesday morning, producing cold temperatures.

Morning lows were in the –35 C to –40 C range in most localities, with Sprague in extreme southeast Manitoba registering an exceptional –43.8 C. Other spots hitting –40 C in the morning include Bird's Hill (–40.5 C), Piney (–42.5 C) and Indian Bay, near Falcon Lake (–41 C).

Officially, at least six record lows were set Tuesday over southern Manitoba, including:

Sprague, –43.8 C (–41.1 C, 1979).
Pinawa, –39.4 C (–38.3 C, 1979).
Gimli, –39.3 C (–37.2 C, 1972).
Gretna, –37.8 C (–34.8 C, 1999).
Fisher Branch, –38.3 C (–37 C, 1988).
Pilot Mound, –35.3 C (-34.3 C, 1972).
Temperatures are expected to moderate by Friday, when the high could reach –12 C, and over the weekend.[/quote]

We're breaking records left and right out here too.
"[url="http://www.mercurynews.com/news"]San Jose[/url] breaks another heat record with a high of 77
Ah, another sun-filled day, with folks basking in the warmth, tanning on their lawns and strolling in beachwear as temperatures Monday broke more records."
:smoking:

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1647177' date='Jan 13 2009, 11.02']Reports of last night's blizzard in Chicago seem to have been greatly exagerated...but be sure to drive carefully to avoid the black ice![/quote]
Indeed. Still cold as balls, though.

Not as cold as Minnesota or Canada, apparently. So we got that going for us.

[quote name='Angalin' post='1648084' date='Jan 13 2009, 23.10']Why do I live here again?[/quote]

I can only dream of such temperatures. With the crappy winter we're having we're lucky if it gets below -20.

But do not fret my friend. The cold weather will only make you tough. Us northern swords are worth any ten of the southrons. :P

[quote name='snake' post='1648108' date='Jan 13 2009, 22.24']But do not fret my friend. The cold weather will only make you tough. Us northern swords are worth any ten of the southrons. :P[/quote]
Oh sure, you say that now. But just wait. [i]Just wait[/i].

Archived