A Complaint about the Added Scene

AGOT PB680
"It had been nigh on a year since he'd laid with a woman, since before he had set out for Winterfell in company with his brother and King Robert."

You don't think it was a whore he was with there. It's this scene they're adding to the show.

The whorehouse scene should augment the first impressions one gets of Tyrion when reading GoT for the first time. Unfortunately I read aCoK first so my first impression of Tyrion was totally different from the standard reader who would have read the books in the order they were meant to be read.

I suspect most first impressions were: irreverent, superficial, comic relief and bit player in the story. The 1st and 3rd first impressions would be right, if incomplete. The 2nd and 4th first impressions are utterly wrong. If the whorehouse scene adds to putting people on the wrong track about Tyrion I'm more than happy with it, otherwise it will be a forgetable scene at best.

ETA
[quote name='cybroleach' post='1658990' date='Jan 23 2009, 16.29']AGOT PB680
"It had been nigh on a year since he'd laid with a woman, since before he had set out for Winterfell in company with his brother and King Robert."

You don't think it was a whore he was with there. It's this scene they're adding to the show.[/quote]
Well spotted that one.

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1658998' date='Jan 23 2009, 12.37']I suspect most first impressions were: irreverent, superficial, comic relief and bit player in the story. The 1st and 3rd first impressions would be right, if incomplete. The 2nd and 4th first impressions are utterly wrong. If the whorehouse scene adds to putting people on the wrong track about Tyrion I'm more than happy with it, otherwise it will be a forgetable scene at best.[/quote]

Somehow I highly doubt that a dwarf sex-scene will be forgettable ;).

Jokes aside, I'm not really a fan of this added scene. But, as Lady Blackfish points out, if this sort of thing is going to appeal to the HBO audience, then it should stay. The more viewers the show can attract, the more likely it is that the HBO series will last beyond AGoT.

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1658873' date='Jan 23 2009, 02.10']You can simply form the opinion that the person is merely someone who spends all his time, and family's money, on frivolity and does not take seriously his social responsibilities as a member of the nobility. Why bring questions of sexual morality into it?[/quote]
I was not bringing morality into it (I was under the -wrong- impression you were). As for a broader sense of negative, maybe we should give the viewers some credit. I for one would not think [i]anything at all[/i] about a person I get to see in a whorehouse. I would wait until I heard said person talk and clear the scene for me. The scene may be set in a whorehouse, but maybe you are assuming too much: 1) that the sex will be explicit, 2) that the conversation will center on said sex. None of the above has to be true. It can well be the common room. And if Jaime comes there in search of Tyrion (and Jaime has no other reason to be there), I´d assume he has some news or something better then whores to discuss: they can exchange one line of "whoretheme" and start talking about the trip to Winterfell and the Lannister/Stark enmity, for all we know. Plenty of space for Tyrion to establish his cleverness.

Archived