Bakker VII: fens, bogs, dens and shades of death

lokisnow

Sorcerors in Earwa are kind of like Aes Sedai, in that their hierarchy is based somewhat on power level. Therefore, to the way Cememketri understands it, if Mallahet is second amongst the Cishaurim, he must be powerful in the Pshuke. He can't grasp the concept of a sorceror achieving high rank without a high level of sorcerous skill, because it doesn't work like that anywhere. It doesn't usually work like that with the Cishaurim either. Mallahet/Moenghus is a special case.

I just reread TTT. Moenghus flatout states that he's weak in the Pshuke. The only things he can do well are the Cants involving more subtle uses of power, like sending the dreams - and he admits sending the Dreams to Ishual nearly killed him.

[quote name='Brady' post='1727639' date='Mar 21 2009, 01.08']I just reread TTT. Moenghus flatout states that he's weak in the Pshuke. The only things he can do well are the Cants involving more subtle uses of power, like sending the dreams - and he admits sending the Dreams to Ishual nearly killed him.[/quote]

Can I get the quote? According to my memory, that bit about Moënghus's weakness and sending dreams to Ishuäl nearly killing him was all said by Kellhus while Moënghus didn't comment to confirm or deny. In any case, I think Moënghus had good reason to let Kellhus underestimate him.

And by the way, things like a really high/low level of magical power on a high-ranked Cishaurim would be naturally talked-about and therefore easy pickings for Nansur spies. Considering that the Nansur knew about Moënghus's Scylvendi-style scars, they obviously had some intelligence gathering going on, and Xerius was briefed on Mallahet.

Even if it's Kellhus making a conjecture, that doesn't mean he's automatically right, especially if he doesn't have that much information. If you think Moënghus could have made a fatal mistake, why not Kellhus? And by the way, I'm not at all certain that Moënghus started in Kian as a slave. I think like Kellhus, he would have claimed to be foreign royalty. He did end up marrying a Kianene princess...

"I have some facility for those elements of the Psukhe that require more subtlety than power. Scrying, Calling, Translating ... Even still, my summons to you nearly broke me. Ishual lies across the world."

page 350, TTT Penguin tpb.

As to why Nansur intelligence hasn't revealed Mallahet's weakness in the Psukhe, on page 345;

"Seotki and the others respect you," Kellhus continued. "Indeed, as Mallahet you have a reputation that reaches across Kian and beyond. And you shine in the Third Sight. [b]But secretly, they all think you cursed by the Solitary God.[/b]"

Quite simply, Mallahet's weaknesses aren't talked about. No one outside the Cishaurim knows.

[quote name='lockesnow' post='1719209' date='Mar 14 2009, 00.07']Also this paragraph chilled me as it makes me wonder if the Consult cannot bring the No-God into the world without enough souls in proximity. Maybe they need all the souls of a massive army to even make his resurrection (or initial incarnation) possible. Which is not to say that all those souls would be used/lost/sacrificed by the process of incarnating the No-God, but rather to say all those souls are like bringing heat/fire to the alien from The Thing. It opens the door so it can enter the world.
SPOILER: the Judging Eye
Perhaps by going on his great Ordeal Kellhus is in fact facilitating the only possible way that No-God could return.
[/quote]
:wideeyed: Wow. I'll bet that's right. Great thought.

I was looking for a [i]Judging Eye[/i] thread, but it looks like it was locked due to length?

I am trying to be as vague as possible with what I am about to say, as I do not want to spoil, but will attempt to black it out even so...

SPOILER: The Judging Eye

So far I am enjoying TJE, though it is clear it is a set up book for the next two in the series. Since I am so tired from a medical condition right now, I will probably have to reread it soon to make sure I pick on stuff I know I am missing in whole or part once I do finish it (I am about halfway done right now).

Bakker is an amazingly good writer. Near the beginning there is what seems to be a fairly ordinary scene of a little boy watching a beetle scuttling around in a temple. Little boys like to watch animals so the scene is well and good and realistic and even a bit mundane; but then Bakker transforms the scene in a way that you suddenly realize that is no normal little boy (to say the least), and your entire understanding of that character hugely changes.

I have a lot to say about what is implied about Esmi as well, but I want to think about it a bit more. I might even have to go back and read her scenes in the first trilogy.

Yeah, there's still a spoiler thread around. It's just on the second page. [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=35218&st=0"]Latest Judging Eye thread[/url]. People aren't posting as much when they can't argue over Bakker and Women.

I'll be interested in hearing what your impressions are of Esmi in Judging Eye. I'm just starting a reread now.

[quote name='Tears of Lys' post='1730685' date='Mar 23 2009, 16.46']Yeah, there's still a spoiler thread around. It's just on the second page. [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=35218&st=0"]Latest Judging Eye thread[/url]. People aren't posting as much when they can't argue over Bakker and Women.

I'll be interested in hearing what your impressions are of Esmi in Judging Eye. I'm just starting a reread now.[/quote]

Thank you. I found the thread and typed in a quick and dirty rough draft of my thoughts about Esmi - mostly about possible genetic implications of Esmi and magery.

Archived