Third Narnia gets green light

gippu

The third [post="0"]Narnia[/post] adaption has just has been green lighted. in which our hopeful Tyrion actor Peter Dinklage is repricing his role as Trumpkin. Could this possible ruin the chances of Dinklage being possibly cast as Tyrion if production of Game overlaps with Narina ? Concerned ? I am :thumbsdown:

Well the article I read stated that filming was scheduled for late summer. The way pre-production seems to be going for [i]Game of Thrones[/i] so far, I would expect that they won't be ready to film by then anyway, so they still may be able to get him.

Victory is ours, Sons of Adam and Daughters of Eve! I have hope that, without the corrupting influence of Disney, this film will be the best yet. I fear however some of the many island visits will be cut due to time constraints.

[quote name='Angalin' post='1668359' date='Jan 30 2009, 12.36']If he's playing Trumpkin, I thought Trumpkin was left behind at Cair Paravel as Regent while Caspian went sailing.[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I remember, too. However, even if they change the story and have him along for the ride, I think they could shoot the movie and pilot around each other. I guess that's assuming Dinklage and B&W really want it to happen. Some actors still do movies despite their TV commitments, and HBO's show schedule isn't as traditional as a mainstream US network (Sept-May).

Peter Dinklage HAS TO BE TYRION!!! He is the only person for this role... If they have to pay him more than the other actors, fine- do it. Tyrion has to be done properly, he's a tragic character- a romantic character in every sense of the meaning. It will take a great actor.
HBO should do everything it can to secure him....

[quote name='Fireball07' post='1677603' date='Feb 6 2009, 20.07']Trumpkin was definitely left behind. He had no role at all in VotD. He had a small part in the Silver Chair, but none in VotD. That means he's not in it.

Haven't seen Prince Caspian, but is Dinklage good in it?[/quote]

He's pretty much just a grumpy drawf in it, nothing impresive, as is the movie.

As Trumpkin is not even in the book, having him in the VOTDT movie will not make it any better. (It is though my favorite of the books, and could well be the best film.) And I think we all would rather have a good Tyrion than a good Trumpkin.

Narnia can't put him in jeopardy for ASOIAF.

Tyrion is such a meaty role that Dinklage would work it into his schedule, if he was truly interested, and if the producers really wanted him over anyone else. Dinklage is an actor who is not short on work (excuse the pun), so it was never likely that ASOIAF would pick him up while he was at a loose end. Much worse would have been if he was doing a nightly Broadway show during the period of filming, then he would have been totally unavailable.

[s]Even though he is by far and away the number 1 pick of this board, there is no indication that he is the first choice of the casting director/producers. So Narnia or not he may be well down the list of candidates for the role. There are plenty of quality alternatives to Dinklage, and probably cheaper to hire too.[/s]

But I didn't vote for Dinklage as my first choice, so I don't mind if someone else gets the job.

Edit: strike out that paragraph. Just noticed this [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=34118"]thread about Dinklage [/url]on the Casting forum. Despite my last paragraph this is pretty exciting news. Not least because someone like Dinklage being a key member of the cast (if the rumour is true) means a good chance of the pilot being turned into a full series. One thing I'd think is the case with Dinklage: he is not likely to sign on for a pilot unless there is a good chance it will become a series. He might well ditch Narnia all together after Dawn Treader if the series does well.

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1680469' date='Feb 9 2009, 16.03']Narnia can't put him in jeopardy for ASOIAF.

Tyrion is such a meaty role that Dinklage would work it into his schedule, if he was truly interested, and if the producers really wanted him over anyone else. Dinklage is an actor who is not short on work (excuse the pun), so it was never likely that ASOIAF would pick him up while he was at a loose end. Much worse would have been if he was doing a nightly Broadway show during the period of filming, then he would have been totally unavailable.

[s]Even though he is by far and away the number 1 pick of this board, there is no indication that he is the first choice of the casting director/producers. So Narnia or not he may be well down the list of candidates for the role. There are plenty of quality alternatives to Dinklage, and probably cheaper to hire too.[/s]

But I didn't vote for Dinklage as my first choice, so I don't mind if someone else gets the job.

Edit: strike out that paragraph. Just noticed this [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=34118"]thread about Dinklage [/url]on the Casting forum. Despite my last paragraph this is pretty exciting news. Not least because someone like Dinklage being a key member of the cast (if the rumour is true) means a good chance of the pilot being turned into a full series. One thing I'd think is the case with Dinklage: he is not likely to sign on for a pilot unless there is a good chance it will become a series. He might well ditch Narnia all together after Dawn Treader if the series does well.[/quote]

It's been a while since I read the Narnia series, but I don't think Trumpkin is in the series after Dawn Treader. The timeline is not continuous, and I think a lot of time takes place between the Dawn Treader and the Silver Chair. Btw, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is #5 in the series, not 3. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is #2, and Prince Caspian is #4. I don't think #s 1 and 3 would translate well to the screen, since #1 (The Magician's Nephew) is too much of a kid's story, and in #3, The Horse and his Boy, one of the main characters in a talking horse.

[quote name='krakenblood' post='1684159' date='Feb 12 2009, 09.30']It's been a while since I read the Narnia series, but I don't think Trumpkin is in the series after Dawn Treader. The timeline is not continuous, and I think a lot of time takes place between the Dawn Treader and the Silver Chair. Btw, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is #5 in the series, not 3. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is #2, and Prince Caspian is #4. I don't think #s 1 and 3 would translate well to the screen, since #1 (The Magician's Nephew) is too much of a kid's story, and in #3, The Horse and his Boy, one of the main characters in a talking horse.[/quote]

IIRC, Trumpkin is in the very beginning of The Silver Chair, seeing off a very old King Caspian at the Cair Paravel docks. In fact, Aslan tells Jill Pole that one of the "signs" will be that Eustace will see someone that he knows and that he must talk to him. Eustace doesn't realize who Trumpkin is and so screws up the first sign right off the bat.

And the rest of your post is revisionist history. :)

[quote name='krakenblood' post='1684159' date='Feb 12 2009, 09.30']Btw, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is #5 in the series, not 3. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is #2, and Prince Caspian is #4. I don't think #s 1 and 3 would translate well to the screen, since #1 (The Magician's Nephew) is too much of a kid's story, and in #3, The Horse and his Boy, one of the main characters in a talking horse.[/quote]

This depends entirely on when you bought your boxed set. Or maybe who the publisher was. The newer sets put them in strict chronological order, which is what you're using for book numbers. In the original, or at least the set I had as a kid (70s and 80s), Dawn Treader is #3, Magician's Nephew is #6, etc.

Edited to add: I do agree that some books just won't translate as well as others to movie form. This movie franchise doesn't have much more leg to it. I'm surprised Dawn Treader is even getting made.

[quote name='Frank Stark' post='1684327' date='Feb 12 2009, 11.55']Edited to add: I do agree that some books just won't translate as well as others to movie form. This movie franchise doesn't have much more leg to it. I'm surprised Dawn Treader is even getting made.[/quote]
Are you kidding? Compared to [i]Caspian[/i], [i]Dawn Treader [/i] is [b]far[/b] more cinematic.

Archived