Cricket V

Paxter

I think we may both have been over-estimating England's chances ;)

:lol:

Great game of cricket though. For those of you who haven't seen Broad's last over, it's compulsory viewing: link

And now Scotland in a decent position against the Kiwis! NZ need more than 13 runs an over in a 7 over game.

ETA: Nope. False alarm. NZ home with an over to spare. Just too much fire-power at the top of the order (Ryder, McCullum, Taylor is an awesome combination).

These Windies openers are tearing Australia apart. I would've thought that defending 160+ was going to be an easy task for the Aussies but it seems that Gayle (not for the first time) throws all conventional wisdom and predictions out the window. Hussey will rue his dropped chance - although it wasn't Gayle he dropped, Fletcher played a good support role, and if he had gotten out at that early stage the innings could have been bogged down a bit.

An in-form Gayle makes the Windies a legitimate wildcard. No total can be said to be completely impossible to chase while he is there, and if the Windies bat first there's no telling what he could get them up to.

On the other hand, Australia's bowling attack looks ill-suited to the Twenty20 format. Johnson and Lee are good bowlers but not for this type of game; they can have devastating wicket-taking spells, but with their pace and opening batsmen throwing the kitchen sink at anything in the Twenty20 game they're going to have some off days where they get tonked for a few. There's no real spinner to slow things down, and apart from Hopes, no tight, wicket-to-wicket medium pacers where opposing batsmen have to generate their own pace. I thought Ponting could have turned to a spinner (Clarke or Hussey) at an earlier stage in the Windies innings, but it has to be said his options for variety were rather limited (Lee, Johnson, Watson).

Genuine pace bowlers are not that great in T20 since edges and nicks just race away to the boundary when the batsmen chance their arm. I agree that Australia is badly missing a quality spinner or even just a simple wicket to wicket medium pacer (I think the IPL showed they were quote effective too).

Judging by how the form book has been thrown out of whack in this tournament, I am worried for the Indians against the Banglas. Judging from the first two overs though, Gambhir and Rohit Sharma look in ominous form.

Genuine pace bowlers are not that great in T20 since edges and nicks just race away to the boundary when the batsmen chance their arm.

Having said that, guys like Nannes, Fidel Edwards and Lasith Malinga are three of the quickest bowlers in world cricket and all three are brilliant T20 bowlers.

Oooh, just watched the highlights of the New Zealand - Scotland match and was surprised to see one of my old coaches taking a catch :). Looked like he was also bowling the last over and getting hit about a bit too though :(. (Jan Stander, by the way. Great old Scottish name :P)

Sir Thursday

Personally I quite liked the headline in the Telegraph today about Australia losing:

"It's like watching England!"

Nah, not really. Australia don't lose to teams from continental Europe ;)

*reverts back to being an underdog-loving anti-Australian cricket tragic*

Archived