Aussies XXXXVI

gryphon strike

Well the libs are a little bit in the shit after the e-mails turned out to be a hoax. Chances of this effecting the next election?

Affecting the outcome: none. The Liberals were never going to sweep back into power in 2010, they still aren't.

If they'd been able to knock off Swan with their case against him (difficult imo) then they might have been able to cast a pall over Rudd and the government generally, but even then that probably wouldn't have been enough. Malcolm's problem is he's not cut out for Opposition. He's in a hurry and in this he saw the sort of spectacular coup that he needed to escape the traditional 2-3 terms in the wilderness.

If this clusterfuck ends up claiming Turnbull it might convince the Liberals to pick a long term prospect or at least a stop-gap leader (Hockey could be either) and that might lead to a decent showing. If it doesn't they will probably limp along to another clobbering.

Well the libs are a little bit in the shit after the e-mails turned out to be a hoax. Chances of this effecting the next election?

I dunno, probably not much. There's reports out there today that polling suggests that the whole affair is unlikely to affect voting intentions. I will say that Turnbull looks like a bit more of a nong today than he did last week. I note that today he has turned over the head-kicking duties to Hockey - Rudd's old sparring partner. The whole thing is looking farcical now - but that's nothing new for Oz pollies.

I dunno, probably not much. There's reports out there today that polling suggests that the whole affair is unlikely to affect voting intentions. I will say that Turnbull looks like a bit more of a nong today than he did last week. I note that today he has turned over the head-kicking duties to Hockey - Rudd's old sparring partner. The whole thing is looking farcical now - but that's nothing new for Oz pollies.

Mate when Question time ceases to resemble a kindergarten playground then maybe they will get some respect from me.

I have had to deal with a few state level ministers in the past and honestly scumbag is way to good a term for them.

Mate when Question time ceases to resemble a kindergarten playground then maybe they will get some respect from me.

Question time is a complete joke. I mean, Julie Bishop can't even finish a sentence without one of the Labor backbenchers yelling out "is that really your work Julie?!" ;)

Went for a 7 hour walk on the Bibbulman Track (Perth to Albany) yesterday. Was a great experience, but I now have very sore leg muscles courtesy of going up and down steep gullies/valleys all day. Probably something I should do a lot more though - I had forgotten just how awesome the Aussie bush can be. Having said that, I doubt I would ever be able to handle the whole Track. I met a veteran bushwalker who reckons it takes 47 days to travel the 900 or so km.

Went for a 7 hour walk on the Bibbulman Track (Perth to Albany) yesterday.

Which leg did you do?

EDIT: The shit deepens for the opposition leader.....

This gives more credence to Kev's allegations about the Libs fabricating the email. At the very least it looks like a possible Lib stooge (Grech) did it.

Kalamunda to just past Mundaring Weir. Very scenic, and it was a beautiful day to boot. The dam looked pretty empty though :(

Yeah thats a good leg. Next up try heading out from Dwellingup (Nanga Bush Camp) for an overnighter - you need to get permission but this is the time of year to do it as you are (generally) allowed to light a small campfire.

If this clusterfuck ends up claiming Turnbull it might convince the Liberals to pick a long term prospect or at least a stop-gap leader (Hockey could be either) and that might lead to a decent showing. If it doesn't they will probably limp along to another clobbering.

Who in the Libs though makes a viable long-term prospect? I can't really think of any since Costello gave politics the wave. If Turnbull goes, Hockey I agree will be top-pick for the new leader as he seems to be the only one besides Turnbull himself taking on damage control (just flick to Lateline right now...), but is not IMO made of the stuff to really stick it to the ALP come an election. The others have pretty much ran for cover over this whole fiasco.

Who in the Libs though makes a viable long-term prospect? I can't really think of any since Costello gave politics the wave. If Turnbull goes, Hockey I agree will be top-pick for the new leader as he seems to be the only one besides Turnbull himself taking on damage control (just flick to Lateline right now...), but is not IMO made of the stuff to really stick it to the ALP come an election. The others have pretty much ran for cover over this whole fiasco.

Lets face it they will stick a nohoper in till after the gov stuffs up in a major way and then try to win the election after that with hockey.

Standard political party practice.

Passed both units at uni!

1/3 of the way through now.

Congrats Ser Stubby. Which units are you enrolled in for next sem?

I have Corporate Finance and Securities Regulation, Evidence, Taxation of Business Enterprises and Foreign Income (what a mouthful), Administrative Law II and Constitutional Law II. It's going to be yet another hard slog...

Congrats Ser Stubby. Which units are you enrolled in for next sem?

I have Corporate Finance and Securities Regulation, Evidence, Taxation of Business Enterprises and Foreign Income (what a mouthful), Administrative Law II and Constitutional Law II. It's going to be yet another hard slog...

Big load, Pax. I've only got Evidence and Constitution.

You know things are going bad for you when your numbers are worse than Latham's:

Turnbull getting smashed in polls

According to a Newspoll survey, conducted exclusively for The Australian last weekend, satisfaction with Mr Turnbull's job as Opposition Leader has suffered the single biggest fall in the survey's 25-year history. His position is now worse than Labor's Mark Latham ever was and is at, or lower than, the levels of Brendan Nelson when he was dumped as Liberal leader to make way for Mr Turnbull.

Hi all, haven't had time to read everyone's posts again.

The gf and I have broken up for now. It was my doing since at the moment I don't feel I can marry her. It's broken her heart. She' still living in our place and I've moved out, soon she will as well. Makes me feel like complete shit. I've taken two weeks of work, going back next week. Already I'm not enjoying my shared house living situation that much, but that's natural coming from a 2 storey 3 bedroom townhouse. I do miss her, but I have to make sure that if I go back to her it's for the right reasons.

For those who are married or engaged, how did you know that this was the girl (I have to be specific) that you wanted to spend the rest of your life with. Was she perfect to you eg looks (if they matter), personality etc.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Question time in Parliament? My parents came to Canberra to see me and we visited Parliament house. It was quite amusing to see the pollies carry on and the speaker having to tell them, "it's rude to interrupt someone."

Naturally the visiting schoolchildren thought this was all quite hilarious, that there teachers would have to tell them about not talking during class, manners etc.

It's shameful.

Uni? Well done guys. How far are you from finishing? Stubby you're doing a postgrad? I'm going to finish what should be my last unit this coming semester and complete my grad course. That will be enough uni for me, for good. Plus it will keep me busy and not mopy.

Uni? Well done guys. How far are you from finishing? Stubby you're doing a postgrad? I'm going to finish what should be my last unit this coming semester and complete my grad course. That will be enough uni for me, for good. Plus it will keep me busy and not mopy.

Not a post grad - I'm just a late starter.

Actually, as that is 400, feel free to start the next edition.....

Archived