Football No. 9

Iskaral Pust

Scolari's out? :stunned: I heard about Adams on MOTD2 last night, but [i]Scolari[/i]? Yes, recent results have been poor, but... does anyone else feel that the concept of peaks, troughs and bad patches has been a little bit forgotten??

Yeah Scolari's out. That is quicker than I expected. I figured that with all the credit he had they would at least let him finish the season to give him the chance. Still, it's a hard but understandable call. Chelsea management must have felt that there is still a lot to b ewon for Chelsea this season and it wasn't going to happen with Scolari.

[quote name='Eloisa' post='1680095' date='Feb 9 2009, 17.37']Scolari's out? :stunned: I heard about Adams on MOTD2 last night, but [i]Scolari[/i]? Yes, recent results have been poor, but... does anyone else feel that the concept of peaks, troughs and bad patches has been a little bit forgotten??[/quote]

The Millennium Bug changed all 'bad patches' into 'irrevocable black holes of despair and relegation'. Didn't you get the memo?

I think Chelsea are mad. The rot had already set in before Scolari arrived and he has had no budget to bring in his own players. There are no better managers out there, on paper, than Scolari. Anyone else is going to be a gamble, and a mid-season gamble with no transfer opportunities at that. Hiddink, Ferguson and Mourinho are probably his only peers, and the latter two won't be considering this.

I wonder how Queresma is feeling this morning.

[quote name='Iskaral Pust' post='1680175' date='Feb 9 2009, 18.31']I wonder how Queresma is feeling this morning.[/quote]

That's the bit that doesn't make sense. I know it's been said elsewhere, but FFS: why let a coach bring in new players and then sack him a week later? It makes no sense, yet that's two clubs that have done it.

Maybe Hiddink has already agreed to take the job? Isn't he supposed to be friendly with Abramovich?

[quote name='mormont' post='1680202' date='Feb 9 2009, 18.56']That's the bit that doesn't make sense. I know it's been said elsewhere, but FFS: why let a coach bring in new players and then sack him a week later? It makes no sense, yet that's two clubs that have done it.

Maybe Hiddink has already agreed to take the job? Isn't he supposed to be friendly with Abramovich?[/quote]
Hiddink's agent has apparently denied that he's going anywhere. The Radio 5 pundits are all saying in learned tones that for Abramovic to take Hiddink away from the Russian national team would be Not A Good Plan in terms of his Russian image. Don't know how much credence to give to that.

[quote name='Eloisa' post='1680358' date='Feb 9 2009, 20.15']The Radio 5 pundits are all saying in learned tones that for Abramovic to take Hiddink away from the Russian national team would be Not A Good Plan in terms of his Russian image. Don't know how much credence to give to that.[/quote]
I imagine if Putin wants Hiddink to stay, not a chance he'll be moving to Chelsea. :)

Abramovic is off his nut. With that said, Scolari really hasn't done all that good of a job with this side. The talent has not dropped all that appreciably; Makalele's been nicely replaced by Mikel, though it'd be nice to have Essien back. But Scolari hasn't been able to make them play hard at all this year; the hallmark of the side in the Mourinho years was that they played their asses off for Jose. The current side has lost its hustle, and they are no longer solid, which translates into too many chances against. That's entirely on the manager.

The Mourinho thing was always going to happen, but where Abramovic really dropped the ball was in firing Grant after last year; sure, nobody liked him, but he did a decent job, considering the insane turmoil and pressure he had to deal with taking over mid-season, and the frankly ludicrous spell of injuries and absences he was presented with.

Fuck.

there aren't many top clubs who will tolerate a bad season or two... and since it's easier to sack the coach/manager than half or more of the squad, the coach usually gets thrown out...

i'm certain that there is only 1 manager in europe that has COMPLETE liberty when his squad is concerned, and that's Sir Alex Ferguson...
he kicked the shoe directly to beckham's head a couple of years back, and it was beckham who left the club, with all his marketing money and his fame and popularity...
wenger seems to be building that status in arsenal, but he's not quite there yet...
they rebuilt their clubs, and brought them back to title races, both english and international...
also benitez is taking steps down that road, but he's just at the beginning...

on the other hand, scolari is a mercenary, and should be treated as one... he came to a well formed team, full (maybe too full) of great players, with almost no money spent limit...
he had but one task: to keep the prima donnas in check... he failed and that led to bad atmosphere in the team, which led to bad results...

[quote name='baxus' post='1680628' date='Feb 9 2009, 22.57']i'm certain that there is only 1 manager in europe that has COMPLETE liberty when his squad is concerned, and that's Sir Alex Ferguson...[/quote]

Wenger's been at Arsenal for over ten years, I would argue that he's got a similar amount of influence over their squad as Fergie does at United.

Archived