Too fat for fashion?

Lyanna Stark

Apparently supermodel Heidi Klum has been deemed [url="http://www.popcrunch.com/heidi-klum-too-fat-to-model/"]too fat for being a supermodel[/url] and also referred to as "portly".

I can't think of any excuse for calling this woman "portly" or "fat". What is wrong with the people who do? I thought with the focus on all the anorexic models and the dying young girls we were gradually moving away from sick trends like "heroin chick" and bony models, but I guess not.

Apparently you also need to be stick thin to be "avant garde", but in that case, I don't think "avant garde" means what they think it means.

Right. She's still way over on the other side of 'normal' if you ask me. Not that she looks like a skeleton or anything.

Portly is an exceptionally snide way of calling a female overweight. Although isn't there a baby stoat or weasel or something called Portly in Wind in the Willows? :)

Oh brother, if these 'artists' find the human form too bulky to hang their clothes on, why don't they just use impossibly thin marble statues instead?

Seriously, they are clearly not making clothes for humans.

“She is simply too heavy and has too big a bust,” he said. “And she always grins so stupidly. That is not avant-garde – that is commercial!”

I think the real question here is whether some effort should be made to convince this guy that he's a pompous jackass or whether to just shake our heads sadly and turn away.

[quote name='litechick' post='1689338' date='Feb 17 2009, 14.36']Oh brother, if these 'artists' find the human form too bulky to hang their clothes on, why don't they just use impossibly thin marble statues instead?

Seriously, they are clearly not making clothes for humans.

“She is simply too heavy and has too big a bust,” he said. “And she always grins so stupidly. That is not avant-garde – that is commercial!”

I think the real question here is whether some effort should be made to convince this guy that he's a pompous jackass or whether to just shake our heads sadly and turn away.[/quote]

Honestly, I think it's more important to convince others that this guy's a jackass. If everyone thought his comments were absurd, they wouldn't matter.

Just disgusting that she's being described as too fat.

To me, in that photo she looks really tall and also really really skinny. (I'm aware that's also a bad thing to say and it's probably just the angle she's on) Despite this, I'm pretty sure she'd be within a healthy weight range, and it's time designers started designing clothes for people instead of models.

Just thought I'd post to get my avatar in the thread for another Heidi photo...clearly she's not always wedded to the big commercial smile. :)

Who the hell is this Joop character? Never heard of him. On the other hand Heidi is well known around the world not only for modelling but also for Project Runway. Worldwide, bishes!

And to call her portly is just ridiculous. Auf wiedersehen to him.

Yeah Xray, that did made me go :stunned: as well. As if the big designer brands aren't COMMERCIAL and complete sellouts. :P

Being happy is also clearly not on in the fashion world. Go away, crude smiles and happy faces!

I just wonder if this trend will reverse and we'll see an rection to all this bollocks. Since we're in a recession now, and a pretty deep one at that, maybe we'll get something similar to the reaction to glam we saw in the 90s. Maybe it is the return of grunge? Or even better: the return of other ideals than greediness and cheap plastic beauty. Maybe something completely new and creative, exploring different areas than what we've seen before, instead of rehashing old trends from the last four decades.

Actually, I think we need more avante garde, just not the type Lagerfeld wants. :P

I think early in her career, there were probably points where Klum was just a bit underweight. But now? Seems perfectly healthy to me.

This guy is obviously trying to draw attention to himself.

What's his name again?

Hopefully, Heidi does not care. She is 35, has two kids and looks phenomenal. Better than anorexic teenagers, for sure. Lately, the word "fat" is being thrown around too freely - Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Love-Hewitt, Heidi Klum... Just awful. It must have really helped to sell magazines to post pictures of someone's cellulite or to call (undeservingly) someone fat or portly. :thumbsdown:

I don't see how anyone could find her to be overweight let alone fat. She definitely isn't scary thin, though.

I really don't understand where the obssession with stick-thin women came from. I don't think i ever met a guy that thought someone like Calista Flockhart or Nicole richie at her thinnest were anything but cringe worthy. Fashion people are weird...

[quote name='WhiteQueen' post='1689379' date='Feb 17 2009, 16.03']Lately, the word "fat" is being thrown around too freely - Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Love-Hewitt, Heidi Klum... Just awful. It must have really helped to sell magazines to post pictures of someone's cellulite or to call (undeservingly) someone fat or portly. :thumbsdown:[/quote]

Yes, I don't understand this fascination with displaying people's cellulites or pimples magnified times fifty in every horrible rag around. Is it really something the public is interested in? Do we need to see Britney Spears' pimples, or Jessica Simpson's cellulites? It's like a desperate need to build these people up to godlike beings and then tear them down and laugh at them. Overall, really disturbing.

For a long time I've sworn that clothes weren't made to fit human beings. Now I know this MUST be a fact. My most recent experience with this was going clothing shopping (before I had lost much weight). I tried on a size 18 dress. The chest part wouldn't even go over my head...who that is a size 18 would be that flat chested. Even over weight men have more breasts than that!

Heidi....fat? Yeah, fat like a twig.

To call Heidi Klum fat is absurd. She is not even remotely overweight. I too thought the obsession with super thin, anorexic models was beginning to be a thing of the past, I hope we're not wrong. It does look as if this guy was trying to attract publicity, I'll admit I had never heard his name before and now here we are discussing him.

Put me down as one more person who doesn't understand why we need to see every imperfection celebrities have. I just don't care. I never imagined them to be perfect anyway, I don't need to see their cellulite to believe it.

[quote name='Lyanna Stark' post='1689312' date='Feb 17 2009, 08.15']Apparently supermodel Heidi Klum has been deemed [url="http://www.popcrunch.com/heidi-klum-too-fat-to-model/"]too fat for being a supermodel[/url] and also referred to as "portly".[/quote]

I watched Paulina on a show within the past six months and when asked about modeling, she chuckled and said she's too big now. Obviously this drew the same wth? reaction from the audience, as she looked perfectly trim and healthy.

I forgot to say earlier that this was my fave bit:
[quote][i]“I don’t know Heidi Klum. She was never known in France. [b]Claudia Schiffer also doesn’t know who she is…[/b]”[/i][/quote]ZOMFG!

Archived