Stego's Reading List of SFF

Stego

No [i]Uller Uprising[/i], [i]Cosmic Computer[/i], [i]Paratime Police[/i](alternate universes before it was cool), [i]Kalvan of Otherwhen[/i], [i]The CoDominum[/i], [i]Falkenberg's Legion[/i], [i]The Jannssaries[/i], [i]Lest Darkness Falls[/i]?

[quote name='Stego' post='1697996' date='Feb 24 2009, 11.26']So, Martha sent me my old list. I'm editing it as we speak. You'll find lots more works on it. But who besides Needle and I will ever read this much? I dunno. Maybe it will shut some of you up. :P[/quote]
I reserve the right to complain about anything, everything, and nothing.

[quote name='Stego' post='1697996' date='Feb 24 2009, 11.26']Arlington Bill, fascinating question about my 100 personally favorite authors and works. That's a completely new list.[/quote]

Don't worry about ranking them, I liked the alphabetical list, because it was easy to look far a specific author. Top Ten would probably be easy. I think in some cases determining the author's best work would be the most difficult task. I have plenty of authors I really like, but to choose just one work...

[url="http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pMJdpQQ1pOrqXWh6IIyCbTA"]Here's the extended version for you whingers.
[/url]

I did not spend much time on this, or rather, have not in a slew of years. But I made some quick changes. This should have all of your favorites. Or if it doesn't, I question your favorites.

ETA: Again, this is all post-Frankenstein. I love and loathe that marker for speculative fiction, but it serves to save me from serious offenses against peoples belief systems, as previous to this mark I tend to delve into mythology of all sorts.

[quote name='Stego' post='1698148' date='Feb 24 2009, 13.12'][url="http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pMJdpQQ1pOrqXWh6IIyCbTA"]Here's the extended version for you whingers.
[/url]

I did not spend much time on this, or rather, have not in a slew of years. But I made some quick changes. This should have all of your favorites. Or if it doesn't, I question your favorites.

ETA: Again, this is all post-Frankenstein. I love and loathe that marker for speculative fiction, but it serves to save me from serious offenses against peoples belief systems, as previous to this mark I tend to delve into mythology of all sorts.[/quote]

I can't access the document...

Yes, it's accessible. And wow, quite a list. I'm impressed.

The only other work I would possibly suggest is the libretto to Wagner's [i]Ring Cycle[/i], but that might be pushing the boundaries of what could be included on a reading list a little too far.

I still disagree that [i]Gravity's Rainbow[/i] is included, but I could understand an argument for it. I don't understand the inclusion of [i]The Crying of Lot 49[/i]. What SFF elements does it even have, besides a slight diversion in the form of Maxwell's Demon?

Glad to see you give credit to Murakami as well.

Wagners Ring Cycle is based upon the Icelandic Sagas, which I keep in my non-public lists of old mythology and heroic sagas and such.

The Crying of Lot 49 struck me as an absurdist fantasy as a whole. Sort of similar to Warren Ellis's Crooked Little Vein, if more pretentious and post-modernist and all.

[quote name='Stego' post='1698148' date='Feb 24 2009, 14.12'][url="http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pMJdpQQ1pOrqXWh6IIyCbTA"]Here's the extended version for you whingers.
[/url]

ETA: Again, this is all post-Frankenstein. I love and loathe that marker for speculative fiction, but it serves to save me from serious offenses against peoples belief systems, as previous to this mark I tend to delve into mythology of all sorts.[/quote]

The extended list is even better. :P

Like and loathe the Frankenstein marker? Why? Serious question there. I know I was so proud of myself when I figured out it's place in time as a marker all on my own years and years ago. It seems to make a lot of sense. At least to me.

I like this list. It's reminded me to pick up some Alice Sheldon. I would probably have put more Wolfe on the list, left on Peake, and switched out one of the Heinlein's for Beagle's The Last Unicorn.

Good list, although I think it's a bit too early to be putting Lynch on there.

[quote name='Stego' post='1697879' date='Feb 24 2009, 14.43']Thing about Howard is, though he can write just about the most rousing combat sequences ever, he can get incredibly boring between them. And his lack of message hurt him.[/quote]

Well, his message was that civilisation sucks and mankind's natural state is to be smashing one another in the face with rocks. He does reiterate it in every single story (whenever Conan beats the shit out of some civilised guy and ponders how he could have won if he'd been a savage).

I can access the list and am aghast that you have Wilson Tucker but not Bob Tucker :bs:

Good to see Ward Moore though. [i]Bring the Jubilee[/i] was an interesting take on the Civil War and was one of the first major Alt Hist.

I liked [i]Texas Israeli War[/i] by Waldrop. Old Earth Books is run by a fellow WSFA club member Mike Walsh. He brought Waldrop to DC when he ran Capclave a few years ago. I read a couple of Waldrops works because of that.

I liked Jeff Fords [i]Emperor of Ice Cream[/i] collection better than the Physiognomy books.

One of the most difficult things in SF can be finding older books that have gone out of print, well at a reasonable price. Just keeping up with current authors I enjoy is tough enough and then trying to add others is daunting. My local SF group, WSFA, has a few of us that are trying to read some material from 50 years ago, and then write brief reviews for our club journal... I have a few to write. It has been interesting to read some pretty good books from 1959.

EDIT: FYI-The joke above is that Wilson Tucker is Bob Tucker.

[quote name='sonja' post='1697952' date='Feb 24 2009, 10.47']What makes you say Heinlein is a Crypto fascist, please? I've heard this a few times, but have never understood it.[/quote]
It was a joke, Moorcock describes him and Asimov as such in his essay "Starship Stormtroopers".

Heinlein was pretty right-wing libertarian, but I doubt anybody described by Philip K. Dick as "the best in humanity" would be a fascist of any sort.

[quote name='Stego' post='1698256' date='Feb 24 2009, 14.09']I know Mike. :D

I like Emperor too. Ford is an amazing writer.[/quote]

Mike put me on to [i]Wayside[/i], I had already read [i]City[/i]. Mike knows his books.

Ford is a super nice guy too. We had a great discussion when he was GOH of Capclave in 2007. He came to a room party I was hosting and chatted for hours. I can't remember but I believe he was a Canadian Club drinker and we picked up a bottle just for him. I saw him briefly at Philcon this year as well. I like his shorter work better. Of course the [i]Well Built City [/i]was a little wierd for me.

Archived