Stego's Reading List of SFF

Stego

The lack of Robert E. Howard and Robin Hobb stand out as glaring to me. (Especially since Lies of Locke Lamora is up there) And if we're adding comics, Lucifer should definitely be on there if Sandman was being considered.

Cool points for having Miller's Canticle for Lebowitz on there though.

Stego,

I'm curious about your entry for Julian May (on the extended list). Did you mean just The Many Colored Land, or the whole 4 book series? I enjoyed the other three of the pliocene exile series much more than MCL and just wondered if you were including the lot or just the one.

Stubs.

[quote name='Ser Stubby' post='1698848' date='Feb 24 2009, 22.04']Stego,

I'm curious about your entry for Julian May (on the extended list). Did you mean just The Many Colored Land, or the whole 4 book series? I enjoyed the other three of the pliocene exile series much more than MCL and just wondered if you were including the lot or just the one.

Stubs.[/quote]

I meant the series. I suck.

[quote name='Stego' post='1698850' date='Feb 25 2009, 12.05']I meant the series. I suck.[/quote]

Cheers. Looking through both the short and long version of the lists its clear you've read a truckload more than I have. My wallett is going to get a spanking.

Ten favorite authors, ten favorite works... (not a quality thing.)

-Heinlein - Starship Troopers
-Martin - A Storm of Swords
-Moore - Lamb
-Wolfe - The Wizard Knight
-Morgan - Altered Carbon
-McCullough - The Grass Crown
-Joyce - The Tooth Fairy
-Powers - The Anubis Gates
-Newman - Anno Dracula
-Haldeman - The Forever War

[quote name='Stego' post='1699523' date='Feb 25 2009, 13.04']Ten favorite authors, ten favorite works... (not a quality thing.)

-Heinlein - Starship Troopers
-Moore - Lamb
-Morgan - Altered Carbon
-Joyce - The Tooth Fairy
-Newman - Anno Dracula
-Haldeman - The Forever War[/quote]

Thanks for the list. So are our Top Ten authors and favorite books by them a new post?

I then had to think of mine. No crossover, but I have read half of the above and really enjoyed all but one of those. I put my authors on my list as to who I went out of my way to get their work, which causes it to skew new which I fear isn't fair to some great authors. Hmm... that makes me think of the top ten alive and publishing and the top ten not so much...

[quote name='Stego' post='1699523' date='Feb 25 2009, 13.04']-Heinlein - Starship Troopers
-Moore - Lamb
-Morgan - Altered Carbon
-Joyce - The Tooth Fairy
-Newman - Anno Dracula
-Haldeman - The Forever War[/quote]

Nice. I especially like [i]The Grass Crown[/i] being up there. Fantastic book. Sulla!!!

[quote name='Gigei' post='1700810' date='Feb 26 2009, 08.59']Well it has Zelazny on it twice so it's good. I would prefer This Immortal to Damnation Alley though or A Night in the Lonesome October.[/quote]

[b]Damnation Alley[/b] may appeal to me so much because it occurs in my hometown. Not sure, but I admit the possibility. :D

[quote name='Lord of Oop North' post='1699603' date='Feb 25 2009, 12.03']Nice. I especially like [i]The Grass Crown[/i] being up there. Fantastic book. Sulla!!![/quote]

Yes. The Grass Crown was a great end to the series for me. The only other historical figure of interest that I can think of who might compare with Sulla would be Alcibiades. But really, it's no comparison. Sulla's the man.

[quote name='Lightsnake' post='1698385' date='Feb 24 2009, 12.45']And you're entitled to 60 issues of listening to Ennis trying to gross you out with how juvenile he can be or show how much smarter he is than his reader. I mean, hell, the man's got talent, but he squanders it.[/quote]

You're thinking of The Boys. Or Adventures in the Rifle Brigade. Or the Authority: Kev stuff. Not so much the Preacher. Yeah, he's doing that, but he's also doing [i]other stuff too[/i].

Go read some Preacher, and then some The Boys. Or the other way around. There is a marked difference.

Funny, I'm of the view that Hitman is vastly less impressive than Preacher. And, for that matter, less serious. Though, yes, it does feature substantially fewer lurid jokes.

Punisher MAX is pretty much the best thing he's ever done, with the possible exception of War Stories. Uh. I'll stop hijacking your thread now, Stego.

Archived