Stego's Reading List of SFF

Stego

Some cases of OK with author -€“ quibble w choice of book

Bester, Alfred The Stars My Destination -€“ :agree:
Clarke, Arthur C. Childhood's End -€“ Eh....
The Man In The High Castle -€“ Dicks best? :(
Stapledon, Olaf Odd John -€“ Huh?
Asimov, Isaac The Gods Themselves -€“ What?
Banks, Iain M. Use of Weapons -€“ WHAAAT?!? :o

Dunhallym: typo for "The Master and Margarita"

[quote name='Doremus Mallister' post='1702624' date='Feb 27 2009, 15.53']Some cases of OK with author -�� quibble w choice of book

Bester, Alfred The Stars My Destination -�� :agree:
Clarke, Arthur C. Childhood's End -�� Eh....
The Man In The High Castle -�� Dicks best? :(
Stapledon, Olaf Odd John -�� Huh?
Asimov, Isaac The Gods Themselves -�� What?
Banks, Iain M. Use of Weapons -�� WHAAAT?!? :o

Dunhallym: typo for "The Master and Margarita"[/quote]

Bester - Tiger, Tiger was the obvious choice.

Clarke - Childhood's End is the blatantly obvious choice. His finest and most powerful novel.

Dick - the Man in The High Castle is not only Dick's finest work, but the best alternate history novel ever written.

Asimov - The God's Themselves is his best book. Foundation had some amazing ideas in it, but was never fleshed out enough.

Banks - Use of Weapons is by far his most important novel.

Stapledon - I picked Odd John over Last and First Men because it was a lot more moving to me personally.

[quote name='Doremus Mallister' post='1702624' date='Feb 27 2009, 20.53']Some cases of OK with author -�� quibble w choice of book

Clarke, Arthur C. Childhood's End -�� Eh....
The Man In The High Castle -�� Dicks best? :(
Stapledon, Olaf Odd John -�� Huh?
Asimov, Isaac The Gods Themselves -�� What?
Banks, Iain M. Use of Weapons -�� WHAAAT?!? :o[/quote]

Are you going to explain why you are quibbling? If I was picking the best Clarke and Banks books I'd pick Childhood's End and Use of Weapons as well.

[quote name='williamjm' post='1702822' date='Feb 27 2009, 23.22']Are you going to explain why you are quibbling? If I was picking the best Clarke and Banks books I'd pick Childhood's End and Use of Weapons as well.[/quote]

With the Clarke I'd probably also go with [i]Childhood's End[/i], but I'd also have strongly considered [i]Rendezvous with Rama[/i], [i]The City and the Stars[/i] and maybe [i]2010[/i] (although the latter possibly only because it was the first adult SF novel I ever read and blowing up Jupiter is badass). [i]The Fountains of Paradise[/i] and [i]A Fall of Moondust[/i] would also have been up there.

[quote name='Dunhallym' post='1698535' date='Feb 24 2009, 16.33']I was wondering if you had read some from Guy de Maupassant, who has written a lot of (in my opinion) excellent "contes fantastiques" (fantastic ? tales, seems to match with your Horror label).[/quote]

I was going with this girl in college and went home with her one weekend. In her bookcase was an ancient anthology of Guy de Maupassant. I married her.

I've already read 36 of the books listed.

[quote name='Stego' post='1700827' date='Feb 26 2009, 10.19'][b]Damnation Alley[/b] may appeal to me so much because it occurs in my hometown. Not sure, but I admit the possibility. :D[/quote]

:)

Can't get a copy of

[quote]Newman, Kim Anno Dracula 1992[/quote]

:(

The list needs *more* Heinlein.

Gigei!

You MUST find a copy of Anno Dracula. It is a sublime novel.

More Heinlein?

-The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
-Podkayne of Mars
-Tunnel In The Sky
-Farnham's Freehold (See where Heinlein started to go insane with perverse wish-fulfillment!)

[quote name='Stego' post='1703231' date='Feb 28 2009, 03.37']Gigei!

More Heinlein?

-Podkayne of Mars
-Tunnel In The Sky
-Farnham's Freehold (See where Heinlein started to go insane with perverse wish-fulfillment!)[/quote]
Why does [i]Glory Road[/i] never get mentioned in lists of Heinlein's best? (This is an honest question). It's always been my favorite of his, but maybe that's because I read it at an impressionable age.

And since we're listing some of the novels that skew to a younger demographic, where's the love for [i]Citizen of the Galaxy [/i]and [i]Time for the Stars[/i]?

This isn't directed at Stego or his excellent list, by the way, I just never seem to see these novels mentioned in discussions of Heinlein (not that I happen upon all that many discussions of Heinlein).

[quote]Farnham's Freehold was awesome.[/quote]

No no no no no * runs out thread with hands over ears*

Glory Road is bloody awful too.

But Citizen of the Galaxy is one of my faves - maybe the first sci-fi I ever read, that one.

I LOVE Glory Road. Great fantasy novel. And Farnham's Freehold is really fun, even if it's masturbatory wish fulfillment.

ETA: Glory Road wasn't mentioned because I was just ossing shit off the top of my head. Heinlein has a lot of works worth the reading.

[quote name='Stego' post='1703231' date='Feb 28 2009, 06.37']Gigei!

More Heinlein?

-Podkayne of Mars
-Tunnel In The Sky
-Farnham's Freehold (See where Heinlein started to go insane with perverse wish-fulfillment!)[/quote]

Anno Dracula is very easy to find online, actually-it was for me.

I just finished the Stars my Destination, too. Kickass

[quote name='Stego' post='1703231' date='Feb 28 2009, 07.37']Gigei!

More Heinlein?

-Podkayne of Mars
-Tunnel In The Sky

I've read every Heinlein novel, IIRC. :)

Archived