FinnCon 2009

Parris

I booked my flight today. :)

:thumbsup:

The following programs are planned for Mr. Martin at the moment -

On Friday

at 2pm - Kaffeeklatch

at 5pm - On writing (Martin, Alastair Reynolds & Adam Roberts)

at 6pm The Grand Opening and right after that Guest of Honour speech

On Saturday

at 11am The New Breed: Modern Vampire Mythos - panel discussion

at 2pm Guest of Honour interview

On Sunday at 12pm "Big is better but small is beautiful" - panel discussion about big fantasy series vs smaller scale stand alones

at 5pm Reading (naturally we're hoping to hear something from Dance)

Naturally there will also be a signing at some point, not yet decided when (on Saturday most likely). And then there's the party on Saturday :cheers:

Looking forward to meeting you! Feel free to ask anything you'd like to know - I check this thread regularly.

Edit: Added another program for Saturday and one for Friday. There is also going to be a signing on Thursday in a Helsinki bookstore, which is not part of the Con program but if you're in town already... Don't remember the time but once I've checked that out I'll update again.

• 2 weeks later...

You can now see the whole programme here. The programme in English can be found here.

Please note that we have a special "Alien Info" desk at the con site, in Puristamo, just for those coming outside Finland (but naturally Finns are helped there too, just that we have a regular info desk as well...). Alien info is open on Friday 14-20, Saturday 10-18, Sunday 10-17.

If you have questions before the con, post them here or email me: sini.neuvonen at gmail.com

Well, what ever works for you... Just please don't alarm the police to our con! Be discreet.

Working on the interview at the moment. If you have a good question let me know!

I'm going to attend.

I just got my ferry tickets and found somewhere to stay during the con. I assume I need tickets to get in or do I just buy those at the door?

First time at a con looking forward to it.

If you're in Finland on Thursday already, there will be a signing at the Akateeminen Kirjakauppa (Pohjoisesplanadi 39) at 3:30 pm. Both George RR Martin and Alastair Reynolds will be there.

We had a nice day in Suomenlinna, good food and even better company. Even the rain understood to really start pouring down only at the point when we had already toured the island and didn't need to walk anywhere but to the restaurant.

If you're in Finland on Thursday already, there will be a signing at the Akateeminen Kirjakauppa (Pohjoisesplanadi 39) at 3:30 pm. Both George RR Martin and Alastair Reynolds will be there.

We had a nice day in Suomenlinna, good food and even better company. Even the rain understood to really start pouring down only at the point when we had already toured the island and didn't need to walk anywhere but to the restaurant.

********************************************************************************

It sounds great, Sini!

Can't make it on Thursday, but I'm looking forward to see you - and the writers, no doubt - at the actual Finncon. It's getting closer now, doesn't it? I'm all giggly like a little school-girl (or, indeed, boy), but that might be the painkiller I just took for my back-problem.

See ya all on Friday.

Two of my favourite authors in the same room? That's pretty awesome. Sorry to be missing out on this :(

No need for tickets, Finncon is free.

I've been to events where there was a membership fee instead of regular ticket for entrance so I misunderstood. I will make sure to spend a little extra inside instead.

Sounds like fun, especially since GRRM has written a story that takes place there.

Make that TWO stories. My impression was that he was quite curious to see the place himself. I hope it didn't let him down.

Since Finncon is a pretty large event with several thousand attendants, it might be difficult to meet fellow boarders if you don't know them already. Is there any traditional way of making yourself known as such at cons? Or maybe one could try to organize a meet-up somewhere?

A meet-up somewhere would be a good idea.

An exchange of phone numbers works best from my experience.

I will bring my winter is coming T-shirt and my horns just in case. :P

I will arrive in Helsinki tomorrow afternoon.

Make that TWO stories. My impression was that he was quite curious to see the place himself. I hope it didn't let him down.

we had a great time, thanks so much for sharing it with us. I hope George impressed you with qouting from the english translation of that Finnish poem he's been carrying that around in his head for 30+ years!

we're looking forward to the actual convention, and hope that we get to meet many more new friends and fans.

Hey folks, if you're in the general vincinity, come to Finncon and share a wonderful convention and city with us for the weekend!

Archived