A Memory of Light (Vols I & II & III)

Werthead

Since the previous thread on the final [b]WoT[/b] book got too big, it's worth creating a new one.

[url="http://mistborn.livejournal.com/116948.html"]According[/url] to Brandon Sanderson, he is deep in revisions on the first 400,000 words of the book for Harriet (RJ's widow and the series editor), and Harriet will possibly make a formal announcement about the book in April at JordanCon.

That to me suggests that the book is definitely going to be split (as we know it must be, it's just not formalised yet) and we'll hopefully get confirmation of the November release date for Part I (since Tor were already parroting this at ComiCon, that seems reasonable). The date for Part II is up to Brandon, of course, but I'd say 6 months later is doable based on his speed for the first part (since Part II will allegedly be 100,000+ words shorter).

[quote name='Myrddin' post='1698470' date='Feb 24 2009, 13.54']As much as I'd like to finally finish the series, there is a nice symbolism to WoT having 13 books. :)

Of course, that just means I'm out $50-$60 instead of $25-$30...[/quote]

Ah yeah, 13 books, interesting...

I really can't wait to see Rand's condition after what happened in KoD.

I [i]have[/i] been reading this series all my life. Picked up my EoTW copy when I was seven, my first fantasy book and I never looked back, even ran a WoT-based RP board until recently. I'm really glad the all of Jordan's ideas were recorded and that the book will remain faithful to his vision. Never read anything by Sanderson, but if Harriet thinks he's up to it, then I think Jordan would have thought the same.

Mat Vs. Gholam Round Two!!

[quote name='Myrddin' post='1698470' date='Feb 24 2009, 23.54']As much as I'd like to finally finish the series, there is a nice symbolism to WoT having 13 books. :)

Of course, that just means I'm out $50-$60 instead of $25-$30...[/quote]

Like Shryke said, cost is irrelevant at this point.

This series meant a lot to me, I just want to see it to the end. I can't wait.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1698717' date='Feb 25 2009, 02.48']I don't give a crap about the price.

WOT is almost done. It's ... scary. I've been reading this series for the majority of my life.[/quote]

Only half of my life - but I'm older too I imagine. I picked up EotW as a first edition paperback...whenever the hell [i]that[/i] was.

I don't care about the price either. I just want to see what happens in the end.

I'm looking forward to it a lot, and though I haven't been with the series for all that long (picked up Eye of the World back in October 2006), I have really enjoyed it, and barely noticed the drop in the recent books like most people mention. Probably cause I wasn't waiting a year or two between volumes, eh? Hell, I've read all of Wheel of Time (excluding 12 of course) during the wait for A Dance With Dragons.

[quote name='Jerec' post='1699030' date='Feb 25 2009, 19.29']I'm looking forward to it a lot, and though I haven't been with the series for all that long (picked up Eye of the World back in October 2006), I have really enjoyed it, and barely noticed the drop in the recent books like most people mention. Probably cause I wasn't waiting a year or two between volumes, eh? Hell, I've read all of Wheel of Time (excluding 12 of course) during the wait for A Dance With Dragons.[/quote]

Funny you should say that. I picked up and read W0T (such as it was at the time) while I was waiting for A Feast For Crows, of course then I was waiting for the next WoT book AND AFFC. So I went looking even further afield and picked up another unfinished series, Sword of Truth. Never bothered to finish SoT.

I'm reading Mistborn right now, to see what this Sanderson dude is all about. It's OK but it lacks the subtlety and intricacy of WoT. I'm hoping his writing has matured a bit since then.

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1699046' date='Feb 25 2009, 02.57']Funny you should say that. I picked up and read W0T (such as it was at the time) while I was waiting for A Feast For Crows, of course then I was waiting for the next WoT book AND AFFC. So I went looking even further afield and picked up another unfinished series, Sword of Truth. Never bothered to finish SoT.

I'm reading Mistborn right now, to see what this Sanderson dude is all about. It's OK but it lacks the subtlety and intricacy of WoT. I'm hoping his writing has matured a bit since then.[/quote]

Finish the Mistborn books then let me know what you think. They're worth reading to the end.

I haven't read books from WOT for so long that I think I've pretty much forgotten everything that has happened since book 2 :(

The last time I tried to guess when it would be done, [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=19392&view=findpost&p=830194"]I guess I was a little overoptimistic,[/url] but now it seems that I wasn't too far off. This is great news. WOT was what really got me started on fantasy.

Yeah, count me in as another who has spent half their life in Rand Land. I first picked up EotW in 1994 when I was 14 and it quickly became the best fantasy story/series I had read up till then and for many years later. It still has a huge impact on me and I am very glad/nervous to see the WoT will finally end.

It would be an amazing moment for me to finally hold the last two volumes of WOT in my two hands. Can't believe I'll finally read the end of the story in a matter of months after starting this series a little over five years ago and from it spawned my love of epic fantasy.

[quote name='Isabel' post='1699257' date='Feb 25 2009, 14.27']I was rereading that thread and there was an interesting quote. I think that says it all.[/quote]

I'm not sure it does, since Jordan sadly didn't finish the book at all, making any comparison even more meaningless and inane than it already was.

[quote name='Arlington Bill' post='1698771' date='Feb 25 2009, 01.52']I picked up up [u]Eye of the World[/u] in the Fall of 1989. Wow, it has been a long time...[/quote]
Impressive.
I doubt anyone here's going to beat that, especially given that it wasn't [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eye_of_the_World"]published until January 15, 1990[/url] :P

[quote name='Isabel' post='1699257' date='Feb 25 2009, 14.27']I was rereading that thread and there was an interesting quote. I think that says it all.[/quote]
What is it that you want that quote to say?

Paddy, the ARCs were sent out 6 months earlier. It was one of the largest ARC deployments in anticipation of a series in the history of publishing at that point. As he is a member of an SF club, I don't think it would be hard to come by and I don't think he's lying to you.

Jim told me to my face and to a crowd that this would never happen. He promised that the last book would be one volume even if it were the size of 3 phonebooks.

I would imagine he shared this with his publisher.

As such, I can only see this as TOR grasping for more money. Not wanting to let their sacred cow go.

Not honoring the wishes of the man who made them a serious publisher ([b]the[/b] serious publisher) in SFF is pretty fucked up. But hell, they publish Goodkind and employ Jim Frenkel. What could one really expect?

[quote name='Yerman' post='1699330' date='Feb 25 2009, 10.27']Moving a tiny bit off-topic here but....is it true that there's going to be a WoT MMORPG (sweet) and WoT movies (oh good god no!)?[/quote]

No and No.

Archived