A Memory of Light (Vols I & II & III)

Werthead

You sure? This looks legit to me :

[url="http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/945/945284p1.html"]http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/945/945284p1.html[/url]

but maybe I'm missing something. Wouldn't be the first time.

Edit: Sorry, scratch the movie comment, I read it wrong. A series of games, not movies.

Yeah, first I said a series of movies and an MMORPG. Then I realized I mis-read it, and that it says videogames and an MMORPG. I know there've been videogames (I own one) but I'm surprised and pleased at the prospect of an MMORPG. Quote from what I linked to above:

"In addition, Red Eagle will launch and operate a massively multiplayer online role-playing game that encompasses the themes, characters and world of The Wheel of Time, which will be distributed at retail by EA."

I spoke to Brandon Sanderson at WorldCon last year and he said that he expected the book to be split into two parts because of the size of it. Not for cash grabbing reasons but purely for shear practicality and strength of binding.

If as a single book it were to end up being about one and a half times the thickness of Lord of Chaos for example, which is the biggest book in the series to date, you had better believe that the price of it would go up accordingly. And if you were to buy this huge thick book for that much money and then had problems with the binding and pages falling out you would be pissed.

Brandon did also say that he really hopes they will publish both books within a few months of each other. So long as the wait between the two does remain that short I don't see why it is a problem to be published as two books. The whole point of RJ's promise that it would be "one more book no matter what" is so that there would not be a three year wait between novels.

[quote name='Stego' post='1699299' date='Feb 25 2009, 15.05']Paddy, the ARCs were sent out 6 months earlier. It was one of the largest ARC deployments in anticipation of a series in the history of publishing at that point. As he is a member of an SF club, I don't think it would be hard to come by and I don't think he's lying to you.[/quote]
Aye, I didn't know that, but I suspected as much, which is why I didn't say Bill was lying or that he'd misremembered it.
I intended it to be read as both a genuine compliment and a bit of a teasing if he [i]was[/i] misremembering.

[quote name='Stego' post='1699299' date='Feb 25 2009, 16.05']Jim told me to my face and to a crowd that this would never happen. He promised that the last book would be one volume even if it were the size of 3 phonebooks.

I would imagine he shared this with his publisher.

As such, I can only see this as TOR grasping for more money. Not wanting to let their sacred cow go.

Not honoring the wishes of the man who made them a serious publisher ([b]the[/b] serious publisher) in SFF is pretty fucked up. But hell, they publish Goodkind and employ Jim Frenkel. What could one really expect?[/quote]

I do think money plays a part for the publisher. But it's also because the book is probably bigger than possible to put it in one book.
If it's 650.000 -700.000 words than it's probably not possible to put it in a hardcover. (600.000 should be possible)

RJ left behind a huge amount of material. Things he might not even have put in the book. Sanderson will probably put everything in the book, because he cannot take the decision to leave it out. At least that was the impression I got from Sanderson last Dcon. So Jordan's book would probably be around 500.000.

I am going to Jordan Con so i will hear the announcement and will ask some questions.

[quote name='Stego' post='1699419' date='Feb 25 2009, 11.35']I don't give a shit what Brandon Sanderson said. I'm telling you what Robert Jordan said. And that's all that should fucking matter.[/quote]

What do you want? A book published on rice paper like a bible? I have an edition of Lord of the Rings like that, it is spiffy... but doesn't make for good reading. Or would you prefer they publish the "two books" at the same time in a box that implies it is one book separated for binding purposes?

If you look at Sanderson's progress blog for the book, its clear that RJ had no "fucking" (since you used the f bomb first) clue about how long the book needed to be. Additionally, I am quite certain that the book is actually shorter with Sanderson writing it than it would have been with Jordan writing it.

The man could rail against the publishing laws of physics all he wanted to, but any casual fan with half a brain and a decent memory for just how many story threads were left to be resolved could have told you it wouldn't be possible to print in one book.

[quote name='Rhom' post='1699438' date='Feb 25 2009, 17.53']What do you want? A book published on rice paper like a bible? I have an edition of Lord of the Rings like that, it is spiffy... but doesn't make for good reading. Or would you prefer they publish the "two books" at the same time in a box that implies it is one book separated for binding purposes?

If you look at Sanderson's progress blog for the book, its clear that RJ had no "fucking" (since you used the f bomb first) clue about how long the book needed to be. Additionally, I am quite certain that the book is actually shorter with Sanderson writing it than it would have been with Jordan writing it.

The man could rail against the publishing laws of physics all he wanted to, but any casual fan with half a brain and a decent memory for just how many story threads were left to be resolved could have told you it wouldn't be possible to print in one book.[/quote]

No, the impression I got from Sanderson while meeting and talking to him that RJs book would be shorter. RJ could decide to leave things out. Sanderson can't....

[quote name='Rhom' post='1699438' date='Feb 25 2009, 11.53']What do you want? A book published on rice paper like a bible? I have an edition of Lord of the Rings like that, it is spiffy... but doesn't make for good reading. Or would you prefer they publish the "two books" at the same time in a box that implies it is one book separated for binding purposes?[/quote]

If Sanderson can't do it, give it to another writer.

[quote name='Paddy' post='1699423' date='Feb 25 2009, 11.40']Aye, I didn't know that, but I suspected as much, which is why I didn't say Bill was lying or that he'd misremembered it.
I intended it to be read as both a genuine compliment and a bit of a teasing if he [i]was[/i] misremembering.[/quote]

It must be a case of misremembering... Damn... I could have sworn it was my first year of College. I know I read it right before finals... Must have been 1990 then. Damn must have confused my Math and Chemistry classes... I remember reading it in Cowley hall waiting for a class. That was the Math and Science building... But it was 90... shoot now I don't remember why I was in Cowley... I need to dig up my transcripts...

Thanks for the reminder, getting older sucks. I know I had it near the end of the first semester and then being really happy to find the next book... which I read instead of studying for finals... cause the third and final book would be ready the next year...

That was in my preclub prereviewing days... ahhh just reading for pure pleasure...

To be utterly honest, I always thought it odd that Jordan was making claims about how his final book would be published which go against what I know of the publishing industry and what's actually possible for printing presses to do in a cost-effective way for commercial fiction.

I don't believe he would have prevailed over Tor, and I don't think he _should_ have prevailed over Tor in insisting they make one huge, unwieldy, costly book.

So I've no beef with Sanderson or, indeed, Tor on this point. I think it's crazy that just because he got it in his head that it would be his last book in the series, that people would have to break their backs to get it done. I'm not sure what impulses were driving him, but they were his own, no more.

[quote name='Stego' post='1699530' date='Feb 25 2009, 11.07']He made TOR. He could do what he wanted.

If Sanderson can't fulfill his design, go with someone else.[/quote]
:rolleyes:
Let it go, man. There will be two more books, whether it was RJ's last request to be otherwise or no. It's not that big a deal.

Personally, I'm glad they are erring on the side of leaving stuff in rather than taking resolutions out just to fit an artificial pub schedule of one more book.

If Martin reaches the same point at the end of Song, I think we'll all agree that one more book is preferable to hitting his arbitrary "7 book series" bullseye and not finding out who Jon's parents are or something. (I know.... That will be in there regardless. Just an illustration.)

[quote name='Myrddin' post='1699540' date='Feb 25 2009, 13.17']:rolleyes:
Let it go, man. There will be two more books, whether it was RJ's last request to be otherwise or no. It's not that big a deal.

Personally, I'm glad they are erring on the side of leaving stuff in rather than taking resolutions out just to fit an artificial pub schedule of one more book.

If Martin reaches the same point at the end of Song, I think we'll all agree that one more book is preferable to hitting his arbitrary "7 book series" bullseye and not finding out who Jon's parents are or something. (I know.... That will be in there regardless. Just an illustration.)[/quote]

I have nothing to add, but I wanted to note that I love your avatar...

Robert Jordan wasn't a fool and as much as he liked to talk tough, when it came down to the wire he could be very practical. And if Robert Jordan had completed this book it would be longer. This idea that it would be [i]shorter[/i] is not supported by RJ's prior writing habits at all. He told his publisher the series would be six books, tops, in 1984. He then told everyone in 1996 that the series would be ten books long maximum and neither happened. He always dramatically underestimated how long he would take to tell the story.

Besides, I believe his words were 'one more book'. It is one more book (and according to Sanderson is being written as one book and will probably be published as Book 12, Part 1 and Book 12, Part 2 rather as 12 and 13).

[quote name='Stego' post='1699299' date='Feb 25 2009, 15.05']Paddy, the ARCs were sent out 6 months earlier. It was one of the largest ARC deployments in anticipation of a series in the history of publishing at that point. As he is a member of an SF club, I don't think it would be hard to come by and I don't think he's lying to you.[/quote]

There's also the point that Tor released a preview booklet featuring a substantial amount of the finished book (one-quarter, maybe one-third?) in August 1989 which attracted a lot of interest.

[quote name='Yerman' post='1699330' date='Feb 25 2009, 15.27']Moving a tiny bit off-topic here but....is it true that there's going to be a WoT MMORPG (sweet) and WoT movies (oh good god no!)?[/quote]

They are being planned. If they happen or not is another question. Whether they are decent or not if they do happen an altogether different question.

Red Eagle has some...nice...ideas about how the world of licensing and game and movie development work that do not entirely coincide with reality. The fact that Universal bought the rights and now seem at a loss what to do with them suggests that they didn't realise how unfilmable the project was. Hopefully they pass the rights to their TV branch rather than make a butchered version of the story which gets maybe 10% at best of it on the screen (and that's being very optimistic).

[quote name='Gerold Hightower' post='1699332' date='Feb 25 2009, 15.28']Are you talking about the publisher of the "new Dune novels" by Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert?[/quote]

Only with the new ones. Apparently Bantam Spectra weren't giving them enough money, or even Bantam recoiled at the utterly disgusting cash-grabbing behaviour of their disgraced authors but people are still daft enough to pay out money for their shit, so whatever.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1699592' date='Feb 25 2009, 13.55']And if Robert Jordan had completed this book it would be longer. This idea that it would be [i]shorter[/i] is not supported by RJ's prior writing habits at all.[/quote]

This is the point I was trying to make. I'm not denying that RJ [i]said[/i] it would be one book or that Sanderson [i]said[/i] it would be a shorter book; what I'm saying is that I've read all eleven of these books... I have half a brain... The man lost his ability to write a concise book well over a decade ago.

I still have doubts about any author's ability to cram resolutions to this giagantic story into one volume (even if it is split in two) while doing it justice.

I do wonder if these "Anti split" people would feel the same way if TOR were to delay the publishing by six months to allow for a complete manuscript to be turned in and then sold it as a giant boxed set "duology."

Archived