Quality Actor for The Hound

sorry,

I didn't notice I replied to you... I didn't mean to reply to your comment specifically just as a general comment to "all"

we do disagree though so no harm done, anyway the executive producers have stated that propably the rest of the cast will be british or at least based in uk. and it would also be an odd direction for the casting of a HBO show to go towards professional wrestlers.

my problem recently is that not only i want very good (see excellent) actors , i m starting to feel greedy and expect big names. i know its just my imagination going rampant but as long as they delay any casting information i can dream as much as i want, cant I? :D

you mean you want a "somewhat decent" actor for the hound?? then we disagree, i want an awesome actor and that is what purefoy is. and he is not big in a wrestler way but he is tall. and neither has jamie to be that kind of big. actualy i m pretty sure there werent any sterroids in westeros.

I don't know that the role of the Hound requires an awesome actor. I got love for the character too, but all he has to do is act menacing, be afraid of fire and able to fight like a Conan the Barbarian on speedballs. Being a big guy would be more of a necessity than having awesome acting chops. I'd say the role of Jaime requires a more nuanced performance.

Jaime needs a more nuanced performance, I agree, but the Hound needs a remarkable actor. Think of how universally liked the character is. I've seen Tyrion haters and Catelyn lovers, and every character is both reviled and loved by readers, except for the Hound (and Cressen), who I've never seen anything bad said of. He's the character readers love to love, and without a good actor, he fails. The Hound needs someone who can convey frailty while showing a lot of strength, as the character's lines do. We need someone who has a constant fear but is also always brave. We need someone who can act with half his face under heavy make up. It is more than just being a big guy and act menacing.

• 3 weeks later...
Jaime needs a more nuanced performance, I agree, but the Hound needs a remarkable actor. Think of how universally liked the character is. I've seen Tyrion haters and Catelyn lovers, and every character is both reviled and loved by readers, except for the Hound (and Cressen), who I've never seen anything bad said of. He's the character readers love to love, and without a good actor, he fails. The Hound needs someone who can convey frailty while showing a lot of strength, as the character's lines do. We need someone who has a constant fear but is also always brave. We need someone who can act with half his face under heavy make up. It is more than just being a big guy and act menacing.

Sounds like you're Sean Bean's agent selling us on a concept for a role that only Sean can fill, and he's already done 006 Alec Trevelyan in Goldeneye with half his face under heavy makeup. So, why not just get Sean for the role?

Sounds like you're Sean Bean's agent selling us on a concept for a role that only Sean can fill, and he's already done 006 Alec Trevelyan in Goldeneye with half his face under heavy makeup. So, why not just get Sean for the role?

Sean Bean is a big-time actor. I feel if he was to have a role it would have to be one of the really major ones. Eg: Eddard.

I agree, and not just because The Hound is my favorite character.

The thing about The Hound is that he's such a fucking badass. I'm talking 80's action hero badass, who is all muscle with a who-gives-a-fuck-about-knights attitude, nevermind that he's on the bad guy's side. But then you get his story, and you realize just how screwed up this guy is, and we buy it when this badass muscled action hero turns coward at the Battle of the Blackwater, and we get it when this physical terror almost loses to Dondarrion and sobs like a baby. And we hope that Mr. Martin has some kind of redemption for him because while he is a badass warrior, a protector, a killer, a coward, and maybe even a good soul once, we know that he is all these things because he is undeniably human. And to get a lesser actor would be a disservice to the character and to Mr. Martin.

eta: I'll say it again, there are a lot of large actors with the chops for this role. I would rather they audition these guys instead of sacrificing physicality for acting ability or vice-versa.

My ideal sequence of events for the casting of Sandor Clegane (and many other characters)

1) They will announce a name

2) I will ask, "Who the hell is that?"

3) I will look the name up on imdb. I will see a strong litany of supporting roles in UK-based productions. I will see roles in movies I have seen, and go, "ooh, yeah, that actor did a REALLY good job in that part."

4) The series will come out. The actor will do an exemplary job.

5) On the DVD's, they will including the actor's audition tape as part of the special features. I will watch it and say, "ah, THAT's why they chose him!"

What will happen with me:

1. They will announce a name.

2. I will ask "Who the fuck is that?"

3. I will go on IMDB. I will see a huge list of supporting roles, one of which is in a show I've watched, like Dr. Who.

4. I will go on these boards and talk about how great he was on Dr. Who, despite having three minutes of air time, and one line.

Based on this interview with Vulpes Libris, Richard Armitage will probably not be the hound:

VL: Whither Richard Armitage? Can you tell us what you have lined up next?

RA: A new 6-part TV series, a film, and a stage play based on a novel, which became a 60’s film classic. (Answers on a postcard please!) Hopefully, Spooks 9.

link: http://vulpeslibris.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...

My two favorite choices would definitely be Mickey Rourke or Javier Bardem, but both are probably to expensive. But if I have to name a realistic option Michael Fassbender would be my choice. He is my favorite choice for many characters, and when it comes to acting ability I know that this guy would be great as The Hound. He was magnificent in Hunger.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1055413/

http://content6.flixster.com/photo/11/27/18/11271876_gal.jpg

http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/2006_300/00...sbender_020.jpg

I haven't read the leaked script (and I don't want to), but the yard-training scene should be in the pilot, right? So the Hound must needs be cast for it, right?

Yes, the yard training scene at Winterfell is in that script, and yes, Sandor is there.

Tom Hardy would great, but he isn't very tall. The same goes for Addy, but he's cast as Robert anyways. Height wouldn't necessarily be an obstacle here, but his status as an actor might be.

Based on this interview with Vulpes Libris, Richard Armitage will probably not be the hound:

VL: Whither Richard Armitage? Can you tell us what you have lined up next?

RA: A new 6-part TV series, a film, and a stage play based on a novel, which became a 60’s film classic. (Answers on a postcard please!) Hopefully, Spooks 9.

link: http://vulpeslibris.wordpress.com/

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I really wanted Armitage as the hound.

crap.

He's suggesting the Cleganes be black. Which in my opinion isn't great, because they're from the lannister lands, which are mostly blondes.

And Michael Clarke Duncan is excellent. Have you seen The Green Mile?

Archived