Quality Actor for The Hound

LotR was a buge film production shot in a comparably inexpensive country where the casting of -anyone- would have still required the camera tricks they used. They can add or remove a few inches with lifts/apple boxes/camera trickery, but a foot is asking a lot, not to mention the fact that a 5'5" person is generally built very different than a 6'5" person. It is possible, but fairly expensive to be faking heights one way or the other in every other shot. . . For someone like the Hound, they should be naturally tall, though not necessarily a full 6 1/2 feet tall.

Tobias Menzies is a quality actor, but I would be disappointed if he were cast as The Hound. He's just not physically impressive. Even if he got ripped, I just can't see him as intimidating. I'm hoping that they find a quality big actor to play him, not just a quality actor.

See in my minds eye I see the hound as a big guy but not neccesarily ripped .........but anyways Tobias Menzies would probably make a better Red Viper.........

He has the right look, but I really hope they don't age him up that much. His character just doesn't play quite as well as a 45 year old as it does 25-30ish. Mid-30s is about as far as I could stretch it, but I'm praying they don't take it that far.

He has the right look, but I really hope they don't age him up that much. His character just doesn't play quite as well as a 45 year old as it does 25-30ish. Mid-30s is about as far as I could stretch it, but I'm praying they don't take it that far.

If you didn't see his age on IMDB what do you think it would be?

When I looked at him I thought mid to late-ish thirties, I was surprised at his true age because he's in such amazing shape. With half his face scarred and makeup on the other half I could see him as Sandor. He's also a pretty big guy at 6'3".

I like him for his physicality and he's got decent credentials, but I have to side with Venardhi on the age thing.

Well, actually I would be pleased if they cast him. But I would PREFER a younger man with similar qualities to be cast.

His headshots look like he is in his mid-late 30s, the other photo shows his age though, and I don't think Sandor will be only shown in flattering angles and lighting. Far from the worst available choice though.

I'm not going to beat this into the ground, but did you really think Sandor would look his age? I always imagined him as looking rough and older because of the life he's led and what he's gone through emotionally and physically. I originally wanted Richard Armitage- but that's not gonna happen, but when I saw this guy I thought 'this is the Hound'.

Honestly, I imagined all the characters looking older because it's a harsh period, people aged accordingly, and botox wasn't on hand... :P

There is a notable difference between a 30 year old who has had a tough life and a 45 year old. The Hound should be young enough to convincingly have been too young to fight in the war, that is my standard of 'too old' for him. Since the war was 16ish years ago in the TV timeline He should be no older than his early 30s. For this particular character, his age has relevance to the story and his character arcs and should be maintained. A 45 year old Ned is acceptable with some slight hesitation, but a 45 year old Hound is just wrong.

Age 30 or 45, what really matters is the audience's reaction to Sandor kissing his 14-year old "little bird." That's going to be decidedly ... interesting. In the book it came off as almost courtly, if not slightly desperate for some kind of connection. Hell, there's a percentage of the fanbase that wants Sansa and the Hound to live happily ever after.

On screen? I can hear moms across the globe howling already.

Critics are either going to hail this series as "groundbreaking and bold," or they'll call it "smut filled and laced with scenes of incest and statutory rape."

Or, you know, both.

Age 30 or 45, what really matters is the audience's reaction to Sandor kissing his 14-year old "little bird." That's going to be decidedly ... interesting. In the book it came off as almost courtly, if not slightly desperate for some kind of connection. Hell, there's a percentage of the fanbase that wants Sansa and the Hound to live happily ever after.

Critics are either going to hail this series as "groundbreaking and bold," or they'll call it "smut filled and laced with scenes of incest and statutory rape."

Or, you know, both.

Either way it will attract people. :thumbsup:

There is a notable difference between a 30 year old who has had a tough life and a 45 year old. The Hound should be young enough to convincingly have been too young to fight in the war, that is my standard of 'too old' for him. Since the war was 16ish years ago in the TV timeline He should be no older than his early 30s. For this particular character, his age has relevance to the story and his character arcs and should be maintained. A 45 year old Ned is acceptable with some slight hesitation, but a 45 year old Hound is just wrong.

What I meant was maybe Sandor looks 40 something but is actually quite younger. I'm not talking the actual age of the actor here, but how the character looks. This 45 year old actor looks younger than his age (he's in way better shape than any 45 year old I know), so could he look like a 30 something who has had a hard life? You seem to think the producers are sticking to the ages in the novels, which they aren't, everyone is being aged up. If the war in the novel was 16 years ago, Sandor would be around 30, but would probably look 10 years or so older. On the show he will be even older.

We have our Johnny Depps and Brad Pitts (both same age as Dave Legeno) out there playing rolls that are for younger men- why not think in that direction. You were all for changing the race to open up the acting pool- why not age as well...

I've seen pictures of people who are in their 30's but look to be in their 50's or older because of hard living.

I'm just saying...

Or, you know, both.

They'll be too freaked out about Dany having a good time with hubby to worry about some chaste kiss that did or did not happen between Sansa and Sandor... Alot of older men and very young girls in the books, but the actors are going to be aged up, including the girls, so the awkward factor should be lessened.

It is what it is.

What I meant was maybe Sandor looks 40 something but is actually quite younger. I'm not talking the actual age of the actor here, but how the character looks. This 45 year old actor looks younger than his age (he's in way better shape than any 45 year old I know), so could he look like a 30 something who has had a hard life? You seem to think the producers are sticking to the ages in the novels, which they aren't, everyone is being aged up. If the war in the novel was 16 years ago, Sandor would be around 30, but would probably look 10 years or so older. On the show he will be even older.

We have our Johnny Depps and Brad Pitts (both same age as Dave Legeno) out there playing rolls that are for younger men- why not think in that direction. You were all for changing the race to open up the acting pool- why not age as well...

I've seen pictures of people who are in their 30's but look to be in their 50's or older because of hard living.

I'm just saying..

Being open to something like variable skin color which doesn't necessarily effect his character and encouraging them to cast someone 15+ years older than the character should be is an entirely different thing. His character is strongly influenced by his age and his life, and changing either would change the character. In the novel he is in his mid-late 20s, in the series I expect early 30s, but that is a far cry from 45. Legeno is far from babyface Pitt or the ageless Depp.

Remember that other than a tough childhood, Sandor really hasn't had THAT hard of a life. He is in service to the royal family, bodyguard to the crown prince. He hasn't been farming in the sun and dirt for 20 years or whoring himself out for meth. Legeno looks 40, he is in very good shape, but he is very clearly past the age range they should be looking for for Sandor.

I could live with it, but I'd rather not.

Remember that other than a tough childhood, Sandor really hasn't had THAT hard of a life. He is in service to the royal family, bodyguard to the crown prince. He hasn't been farming in the sun and dirt for 20 years or whoring himself out for meth. Legeno looks 40, he is in very good shape, but he is very clearly past the age range they should be looking for for Sandor.

That childhood was a little more than just tough. It was physical and emotional hell. And since then he has been a heavy drinker, and consumed with an unquenchable hate. Now, to use my great aunt as an example, hate will keep you alive, but it doesn't leave you looking exceptionally youthful or pretty either. She's 92 now, but she looked 92 thirty years ago. She looks like she's 152 now.

Being open to something like variable skin color which doesn't necessarily effect his character and encouraging them to cast someone 15+ years older than the character should be is an entirely different thing. His character is strongly influenced by his age and his life, and changing either would change the character. In the novel he is in his mid-late 20s, in the series I expect early 30s, but that is a far cry from 45. Legeno is far from babyface Pitt or the ageless Depp.

I could live with it, but I'd rather not.

Ok, whatever you say.

Giving a backstory as to why Sandors family is the only darkskinned landed gentry (because yeah, we see that in Europe?), a backstory/history that isn't already written but will have to be for this change in race- makes waaaay more sense than just ageing up a character, which wouldn't need a back history.

Whatever you say Venardhi, you definitely know best.

Thank you for acknowledging the superiority of my well-argued opinion.

I don't WANT to see the Hound played by a black guy, I just have a lot less problem with it than him being played by a middle-aged guy.

Sorry, but being tenacious isn't the same as a well argued opinion. And you sir (or madam) are quite the tenacious bullet point pugilist, with everyone.

Ageism: refers to the stereotyping of and discrimination against individuals or groups because of their age. :P

Tanks man, I hoped that was so. :grouphug:

I just today thought of Dave Legeno who played Fenrir Greyback in the latest HP film, as Sandor...

Here he is:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0499270/

I like the choice of Legeno, who at least physically looks like one of the best fighters in Westeros. Very imposing. Not sure about his acting, but he is preferable to all the "pretty" boys that have been suggested.

All the characters will be aged up. And male actors are always playing parts younger than their true age, ie Sean Bean as Ned Stark (50 something guy playing a 35 yr old). Did anyone really imagine the Hound to be barely out of his teens when reading the book? That never rang true to me. Sandor is very world wise, he is not the typical 20 something kid, most of which would be hard pressed to bring the necessary physicality AND pathos to the character. Besides, the burned face will obscure his true age anyway.

Good pick, hope D&D are reading.

Tobias Menzies is a quality actor, but I would be disappointed if he were cast as The Hound. He's just not physically impressive. Even if he got ripped, I just can't see him as intimidating. I'm hoping that they find a quality big actor to play him, not just a quality actor.

You have to mean Titus Pullo, not Brutus. Brutus was not only physically inappropriate but he was portrayed as a wishy washy mama's boy.

Archived