Interview with David Benioff

In today's Metro here in Sweden there is an interview with David Benioff. It's mostly about his career as a writer but at the very end he mentions A Game of Thrones and that filming starts in october in Ireland.
Don't know if this is old news or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

[quote name='Papirolle' post='1705731' date='Mar 3 2009, 18.19']In today's Metro here in Sweden there is an interview with David Benioff. It's mostly about his career as a writer but at the very end he mentions A Game of Thrones and that filming starts in october in Ireland.
Don't know if this is old news or not, but I thought I'd mention it.[/quote]

That's the first I've heard about it! Is there an English version of the interview somewhere on the net?

Exciting news though. October is not so far away, and Ireland will be an excellent location.

I found the interview online at [url="http://www.metro.se/2009/03/03/61038/de-tyckte-att-jag-var-billig/"]http://www.metro.se/2009/03/03/61038/de-ty...jag-var-billig/[/url]

Here is a quick and dirty translation by a non-swede of the part about A Game of Thrones:

A game of thrones
I loved fantasy stories until I was 13, 14 years old and discovered girls. But George RR Martins stories are more complex. It’s more human emotions than battle against evil monsters. As a writer for TV (HBO) I also get a bigger responsibility. I’m involved in casting, who is directing and so on. We start filming in Ireland in October.

Thanks Erlend. Well, this certainly is exciting - we have a location and the time at which they are starting to film the pilot (just 7 months to go!). Hopefully we get some casting news soon :)

YAY! I love news like this! Ireland is very pretty and would do well for the series. October! OMG that's so close!

I got so excited after reading this that I was bouncing up and down in my seat at work, looking for someone to share the news with that will actually understand it!

I just considered starting a thread about this, but Papirolle beat me to it.

I made a translation of the entire article. Enjoy!

Image caption:
"City of Thieves" is David Benioffs first novel in Swedish and he is also a manuscript writer for many films.

[b]THEY THOUGHT I WAS CHEAP[/b]

[b]The best-selling author on Cobain, Leningrad and his odd start

David Benioff is the man who's called the hottest writer in town by the "X-men" character Wolverine (Hugh Jackman), and who can thank Spider-Man for his career.[/b]

But more than comic characters are present in his world. Benioff is for instance behind manuscripts of film successes like "The Kite Runner", "Troy" and the upcoming movie about Curt Cobain's life. But it all started with Spider-Man.
- Somehow Toby Magire (leading actor in the Spider-Man movies) found a copy of my debut novel "The 25:th Hour" and wanted to film it with himself as a lead actor, the role which Edward Norton came to play. It is not that common that an unknown writer gets to write a film manuscript on his own, but they probably thought I was cheap. My entire career started there. Thanks to Spider-Man, haha.

[b]Right now your first novel in Swedish has just been released, "City of Thieves", which takes place in Leningrad during the second world war.[/b]
- I wrote the first sentences in 2000, but it took eight years to finish it. My publisher called every month to ask about the progress and finally he said: "You'll never finish it, will you?". Then I felt pretty guilty and also afraid that I had written to many manuscripts and lost the ability to write a novel.
[b]The novel is based on what your grandfather Shim has told you, even if he said "You're a writer! Make it up!" Was he satisfied with the final result?[/b]
- It's hard to say since he's dead. But I'm very satisfied with it, even if it took a long time to write and do the research. I don't think I'll ever write another historical fiction novel.
[b]What's the most fun? Books or film manuscripts?[/b]
- To write a book alone in your apartment is fantastic, but after a year or so I start to feel like Jack Nicholson in "The Shining". Then it's fun to return to the filming and collaborate with others. But I would be frustrated if I only interpreted other people's work. To create your own characters is more fun.
[b]You dream of directing yourself.[/b]
- Yes, maybe this one. Many directors have been in touch and want to buy the rights to "City of Thieves", but I know what happens in Hollywood. You lose control over your work. I was lucky with "25:th Hour", but I won't take that chance again. I won't let anyone else do it.
[b]Your father, Stephen Friedman, has worked as an economy advisor for George W. Bush. Has he given you any ideas?[/b]
- Oh yes, many interesting stories, but not for any movies. I like to ask him questions, especially now that we have an economic crisis, but a film about macroeconomics - that would only be depressing.

-by Peter Lindholm

[b]David Benioff on:

Curt Cobain[/b]
- I'm very fascinated by Cobain and really hope the movie about him will do him justice. As soon as we get hold of a director we'll start filming. He was a very important person to me when I was younger. I remember when I heard "Smells like Teen Spirit" the first time, when I saw the video and when I saw Nirvana in "Saturday Night live" and what I did when I heard he had killed himself.

[b]"Wolverine"[/b]
- It's done and will hit theatres in May. But what happens in it I'm not allowed to tell, more than that it's the background story, about how Wolverine in "X-men" became Wolverine.

[b]A Game of Thrones[/b]
- I loved fantasy stories before I turned 13, 14 and began noticing girls. But George RR Martins tales are more complex. It's more human stories than battle against evil monsters. As a writer for TV (HBO) I also get more responsibility. I'm involved in casting, who gets to direct and so on. We'll begin filming in Ireland in October.

Oh, thank you God! Ireland, ftw!

Just to let you know, there's no snow in Ireland. Well, there was some this February, and that was the first time in years.

I'm getting myself a place as an extra in this. This is the best news I've had in ages. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[quote name='El-ahrairah' post='1706121' date='Mar 3 2009, 10.50']Great news, just hope they don't replace the Children of the Forest with leprechauns.[/quote]
No, but the Others will be obsessed with sugary cereal with strange marshmellow shapes. :wideeyed:

Good news. Assuming the pilot gets picked up, I guess that means we'll see the show summer of 2010 at the earliest.

I guess I don't need HBO until then. ;)

[quote name='Fireball07' post='1706160' date='Mar 3 2009, 12.10']Just to let you know, there's no snow in Ireland. Well, there was some this February, and that was the first time in years.[/quote]
Hmm, good point and I guess I remember hearing that now that you mention it. Ireland in October and later should be wonderful for Winterfell, etc., right? I guess for the scenes where they will need snow (north of the Wall, etc.) they'll have to go elsewhere or make some snow then? :dunno:

Anyway, bottom line is that Ireland seems like a great location! Good news!

[quote name='Prince of the North' post='1706207' date='Mar 3 2009, 18.33']Hmm, good point and I guess I remember hearing that now that you mention it. Ireland in October and later should be wonderful for Winterfell, etc., right? I guess for the scenes where they will need snow (north of the Wall, etc.) they'll have to go elsewhere or make some snow then? :dunno:

Anyway, bottom line is that Ireland seems like a great location! Good news![/quote]

Yeah, but the weather here is pretty unpredictable. We had huge rain and floods in August and then had sun in December. February has been the coldest month in years apparently.

For snow, Iceland, Norway, etc. would be the obvious choices, unless they want to go up a mountain. There should be snow at the top of one of those = P.

Archived