Lost season 5 part 3

Fatuous

And continued.

Richard, Egyptian and Atlantis; Yes, I mentioned this in a previous thread but I was referring to it as the source for the legend of Atlantis which is different. I'm not going to explain it yet but it didn't sink for starters.

Head of Security = New Sheriff in town. :dunce:

James LaFleur used John's meeting with Richard to help his group join DHARMA. If James {"Call me Jim"} managed to con his way into the Head of Security position without anyone checking his off Island past then Horace must be the head of the Iniaitive for the moment.

That just makes me wonder what Jack and his group did or said that made DHARMA want to study time travel.

Jin is fully fluent in English now, James finally got the glasses he needed, Miles is a good buddy of James and is Juliet pregnant? Too bad Faraday didn't show up in the post three year period yet.

I don't think the Hydra Station is in 2007 while the main Island was reset to 1977 but I have no proof. From the promo, Sun's with Ben and Sayid's with James and that's not good enough yet.

And didn't that shot of Ben with the sling appear in last week's promo? I feel kind of cheated for some reason.

An excellent episode. Really clever in the way it operated and fits things in. Horace buying Sawyer's story makes sense, since he's a total hippy and fond of the sauce, plus a bit of an overly trusting guy as well (which see in [i]The Man Behind the Curtain[/i] as well).

I've also not had much time for the whole love triangle thing over the course of the series, but Sawyer and Juliet as a couple really make sense and I hope that doesn't get torpedoed by Kate coming back.

[quote name='G'Kar' post='1708630' date='Mar 5 2009, 03.28']Where is Ben and Roger Workman I wonder? Perhaps next episode.[/quote]

The first flashbacks in [i]The Man Behind the Curtain[/i] are dated 1976, so they should be around, as should Dr. Chang (aka Candle/Wickman). Skirmishes with the Others were going on then, so I'm guessing the truce was set up a little while later (Richard Alpert was looking a lot more Robinson Crusoe-like then as well).

[quote]And there are definitely some Egyptian gods with only four toes. But how the hell did the Egyptians get on the island?[/quote]

My guess is that one of the 'windows' to the Island opened in the Med and some Egyptian travellers passed through it. Maybe it stayed open long enough for a full colonisation effort to be launched?

[quote name='HokieStone' post='1708677' date='Mar 5 2009, 03.47']How do we know that they went back to 1974? In fact, I think Ben/Locke/Flight 315 survivors are still in a different time. They are in one of the Dharma stations...but it looks old and abandoned. In 1974 it wouldn't have been abandoned. So if Ben/Locke/etc. are in the "present", why couldn't Rose/Bernard/etc. be there as well?[/quote]

Team 315 are almost certainly still in 2007, but I guss we'll find out more in two weeks.

[quote]BTW I'm thinking Dan causes The Incident while trying to save Charlotte or something, and this throws the Losties into the present.[/quote]

It's possible, but the Incident doesn't happen until 1985 or so (according to the Blast Door Map). So either the survivors stay put for another eight years or there's more time travel involved. The Purge also doesn't happen until 19 December 1992, so the Losties again won't get involved in that unless things change.

I'm thinking as well that at some point in those three years DHARMA found out from the Losties where the best place would be to build their new Orchid Station.

[quote name='Fatuous' post='1708988' date='Mar 5 2009, 07.40']And continued.

Richard, Egyptian and Atlantis; Yes, I mentioned this in a previous thread but I was referring to it as the source for the legend of Atlantis which is different. I'm not going to explain it yet but it didn't sink for starters.[/quote]

I thought it was a great episode.

Do you have a link to previuos thread? Was it recent?

I have been thinking the same exact thing Atlantis= island thing. The DHARMA logo is one of the "alleged" maps/city configurations of Atlantis, the egyptian stature (perhaps??), and Alpert with eyeliner - btw that was the best line by Sawyer refering to Alpert...Just curious...

[quote name='Fatuous' post='1708988' date='Mar 5 2009, 06.40']Too bad Faraday didn't show up in the post three year period yet.[/quote]

Actually we did.

At the very begining of the first episode of this season. They were building the Orchid and some of the construction guys were talking about how silly the idea of time-travel was and one of them looked up at the camera saying something like "Yeah, that *is* silly" and it was Faraday.

I really enjoyed this episode right up to the point where we see Kate.

I haven't liked Kate since the second episode of this series. Her character is just an annoying pain and she needed to be left back with Aaron and Walt.

I wasn't too sure about the whole Juliet/Sawyer thing at first, but I grew to like it over this season so far. If they bring Kate in to mess it up, I am going to be very unhappy. Let her keep messing with Jack's head, but *please* let Sawyer be able to get away from her. Hopefully his thing with Juliet and Jack's presence will remind him of all the crap she pulled with him and Jack and he can just write her off.

I must say, I thought it was ticklish to hear Jim call him 'James'. I dunno why, I just thought it was.

[quote]I've also not had much time for the whole love triangle thing over the course of the series, but Sawyer and Juliet as a couple really make sense and I hope that doesn't get torpedoed by Kate coming back.[/quote]

Right on.

Does anyone like Kate? Honestly. She's the worst character, IMO. But I fear from the expression on Sawyer's face at the end of the epi that she is indeed going to throw a wrench into his nice little home with Juliet. :cry:

Something interesting in the casting info for next week...

SPOILER: Lost
]Not only is young Ben back, but someone's in to play Radzinsky! Maybe some Hatch answers are coming...

I also really hope Kate doesn't screw up Sawyer and Juliet, though she inevitably will, because that's what Kate does: Destroy happiness through the drama. They were a cute couple in this episode.
Any ideas for how Desmond's getting back? Because I have to say, I am missing my beloved Scotsman at the moment.

And now that we're about halfway through, what do you guys think of the overall season so far? Better than the first half of season 1 (which seems to be the fan favorite) or season 4? Maybe it's just the sci fi nerd in me, but so far this is shaping up to be my favorite season- and I'm sure things will only get more intense from here on out.

[quote name='Starkess' post='1709271' date='Mar 5 2009, 10.42']Does anyone like Kate? Honestly. She's the worst character, IMO. But I fear from the expression on Sawyer's face at the end of the epi that she is indeed going to throw a wrench into his nice little home with Juliet. :cry:[/quote]

ditto. I think we all saw the Sawyer and Juliet thing coming, but they fit better than I ever imagined. :love:

Then there is Kate, who gets a comfort bang from Jack one night and the next day says something like, "just because we're all back together doesn't mean we are together". :rolleyes: I wonder if the writers are mamking her so unlikable because she allegedly is unliked by the rest of the cast for being a big whiner.

[quote name='ZANNI_1276' post='1709118' date='Mar 5 2009, 09.57']I thought it was a great episode.

Do you have a link to previuos thread? Was it recent?

I have been thinking the same exact thing Atlantis= island thing. The DHARMA logo is one of the "alleged" maps/city configurations of Atlantis, the egyptian stature (perhaps??), and Alpert with eyeliner - btw that was the best line by Sawyer refering to Alpert...Just curious...[/quote]

That came out vaguer than I intended it to be, sorry for the confusion. I was replying to the last posts of this thread and I forgot to quote them.
[url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=34015&st=0&start=0"]http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showt...t=0&start=0[/url]
This was our last Lost thread and I first mentioned the legend of Atlantis when Juliet said that the Others call themselves the Enlightened Ones and they all were made to learn Latin for as long as Richard has been on the Island. I also mentioned that Richard kind of reminds me of Egyptians. I can't say that the statue was of Anubis as you should be able to immediately recognize the jackal face even from behind and I can't say if those are ears or a crown. From Lostpedia:

[quote]A statue made of similar material to the foot was seen from the back by Sawyer, Jin, Juliet and Miles following the flash that occurred as Locke was descending the well to turn the frozen wheel. It is unknown if this statue is the same as the ruins previously seen by Sayid. The statue carries two ankhs, or "cross of life" in each hand. The ankh is an immortality and fertility symbol. ("LaFleur")[/quote]

They're as bad as I am. They later add that the statue could be Anubis or Horus but I'd throw Richard into the mix as well. The ankh is a symbol for fertility and immortality and it's kind of funny that the statue would have two of them. So that's what, double fertility and double immortality?

[quote]Actually we did.[/quote]
Fair enough. Too bad Daniel didn't appear in the "Three Years Later" portions to show then what he did between the 1974 and 1977 DHARMA days. From the opener, all we really know is that Faraday was part of the work crew when DHARMA built the Orchid station and that was the time Dr. Chang was doing his Introduction films. We don't know how he got to be part of that crew even if we have a good idea of the "why".

I just hope he didn't become something of a pedophile. I don't know if that little girl was Charlotte as time must be out of order as she was supposedly born in 1979, not 1969. There's quite a difference between those two numbers.

I like how on this show every single woman who shows the slightest interest in Jack bangs Sawyer first. I'd feel bad for Jack if I didn't think that he was such a douchebag.

I've heard talk that it's actually Sekhmet.
[quote]Sekhmet was believed to protect the pharaoh in battle, stalking the land, and destroying the pharaoh's enemies with arrows of fire. An early Egyptian sun deity also, her body was said to take on the bright glare of the midday sun, gaining her the title Lady of Flame. It was said that death and destruction were balm for her warrior's heart and that the hot desert winds were believed to be her breath[/quote][quote]Sekhmet also was seen as a bringer of disease as well as the provider of cures to such ills. The name "Sekhmet" literally became synonymous with physicians and surgeons during the Middle Kingdom. In antiquity, many members of Sekhmet's priesthood often were considered to be on the same level as physicians.[/quote]

[quote name='Werthead' post='1709033' date='Mar 5 2009, 08.34']It's possible, but the Incident doesn't happen until 1985 or so (according to the Blast Door Map). So either the survivors stay put for another eight years or there's more time travel involved. The Purge also doesn't happen until 19 December 1992, so the Losties again won't get involved in that unless things change.[/quote]

Actually, according to Lostpedia, the Incident happens before 1980, since the orientation video for The Swan (including the button) was made in 1980.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1709033' date='Mar 5 2009, 08.34']I've also not had much time for the whole love triangle thing over the course of the series, but Sawyer and Juliet as a couple really make sense and I hope that doesn't get torpedoed by Kate coming back.[/quote]

I could not agree more with the above. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that we're going to get force-fed a lot of Kate-related romantic anguish over the next several episodes. Which is really too bad, because Kate sucks.

Let's not forget - unless the writers forgot, which would be okay with me - that Ben wants Juliet for himself and he might not be too happy to see her shacked up with Sawyer whenever the cast comes back together.

[quote]Let's not forget - unless the writers forgot, which would be okay with me - that Ben wants Juliet for himself[/quote]

/shocked

What are you, crazy? Ben's obsession with Juliette is cool. The Other Women, from last season, was a great episode because of it. Ben's little "Because your MINE!" at the end was great. It really reminds you that Ben is fucking terrifying in many ways.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1709407' date='Mar 5 2009, 10.20']I could not agree more with the above. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that we're going to get force-fed a lot of Kate-related romantic anguish over the next several episodes. Which is really too bad, because Kate sucks.

Let's not forget - unless the writers forgot, which would be okay with me - that Ben wants Juliet for himself and he might not be too happy to see her shacked up with Sawyer whenever the cast comes back together.[/quote]

It makes you wonder whether Ben ever realised that some of the people who crashed on the Island in 2004 looked awfully similar to people who used to work for Dharma as he was growing up. At this point young-Ben chould be around 13-18 years old and it will be interesting to find other whether his attraction to Juliet might have started quite young.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1709398' date='Mar 5 2009, 18.15']Actually, according to Lostpedia, the Incident happens before 1980, since the orientation video for The Swan (including the button) was made in 1980.[/quote]

Yeah, I forgot about this mix-up. My guess is that the pre-1980 date is correct, since most people haven't bothered going over the blast door map and all its details.

The Incident, assuming it's an EMP event of some kind cause by the Losties returning to the present, would also make an excellent cover for their departure. The DHARMA Initiative writes them off as being dead.

[quote]Something interesting in the casting info for next week...[/quote]

Yup:

SPOILER: What the next story arc is in Lost
Apparently, for the next four episodes whilst the O6 and the other survivors are reuniting and getting involved in the DHARMA shenanigans, there's a subplot following Young Ben as he gets to know the Others and they tell him about the darkest secrets of the Island's ancient past. Or something.

[quote]Any ideas for how Desmond's getting back? Because I have to say, I am missing my beloved Scotsman at the moment.[/quote]

Apparently:

SPOILER: Big Spoiler
Ben did try to kill Penny but failed, and put her in hospital. Apparently Desmond is unhappy with this news and joins forces with Widmore to get his own back on Ben. Where this storyline goes, or if that spoiler is correct, is unknown. Reliable spoilers for the show have been very thin on the ground this year and I must admit I haven't been bothering with them.

[quote]someone posted a spoiler on lostpedia that says that goodspeed's baby is...[/quote]

I've heard this a lot, but it doesn't sound right:

SPOILER: Lost
That would make Ethan 27 in Season 1, but he looks a good decade or so older than that. Of course, this is the show that tried to pass off Michael Emerson as a 28-year-old in one flashback, so who knows?

[quote]It makes you wonder whether Ben ever realised that some of the people who crashed on the Island in 2004 looked awfully similar to people who used to work for Dharma as he was growing up.[/quote]

SPOILER: Middling Spoiler
Apparently Locke and co. find pictures in the Hydra Station showing the Losties in their DHARMA suits. No word on if Ben knows who they are, but I find it hard to imagine he doesn't.

I wonder if that's the same van Hurley uses to kill the Others on the beach in the S3 finale?

[quote name='Werthead' post='1709865' date='Mar 5 2009, 20.46']I wonder if that's the same van Hurley uses to kill the Others on the beach in the S3 finale?[/quote]

As other people told me in the old thread, there's more than one van but I like the idea. "Looks like Roger Work Man was doing a beer run."

About that Hydra Station, the Losttracks for "Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham" confirmed that Caesar was searching Ben's office and his papers, one of those being a page of Faraday's time travel equations with notations, probably from his journal. That pretty much says it all, really.

[quote]Yeah, I forgot about this mix-up. My guess is that the pre-1980 date is correct, since most people haven't bothered going over the blast door map and all its details.

The Incident, assuming it's an EMP event of some kind cause by the Losties returning to the present, would also make an excellent cover for their departure. The DHARMA Initiative writes them off as being dead.[/quote]

A basic EMP incident resulting in the "record" setting back to 2007 is too simple. It could be said that the third dimension is space {Lost in Space} and the fourth dimension is time {Lost in Time}, where or perhaps how else can someone be lost? {The "Next on Previously Lost" thing.}

Horace just happens to build a hideaway cabin that has multidimensional properties where a local ghost named Jacob just happens to take up residence. There is a bonus to multidimensional properties; Any travel up to the higher numbers facilitates travel on the lower dimensions. For example, the 316 time skippers got a convenient Teleportation skill that allowed them to pass through the walls of the plane. If there happened to be a being that came unstuck Universally {Let's call it the 5th dimension}, he would gain free movement through both space and time. He'd have a hell of a time interacting with beings of the 3rd dimension but almost everything would be possible.

Did anyone else wonder how Christian Shepard showed up around 3000 or so BC or was it just me? I don't know which is odder, him being there or the implication that the donkey wheel was there at that time.

Archived