The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

We just passed the 4250 pages mark!

We recently seen some more activity and I want to say thanks to everyone who is contributing and is trying to improve our wiki. spelling,linking, improving readability, adding content, etc everything counts! Great job everybody! :bowdown:

I would also like to congratulate our fellow editors at the french and newer russian sister projects for their ~4500 and ~1000 pages milestones. :grouphug:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I am happy to help :). The wiki is a great resource that has helped me as I've been re-reading the books.

A question: I note the Dance chapter summaries are named according to a different format to the chapter summaries for all the other books: should they be moved? Is there someone with admin abilities who can do this?

we have an older discussion on this here: new-chapter-summaries at this point we have two option either move all the dance chapters or move all the rest (btw you can also use move, that arrow near history)

so the question is which format is better and I am wait to see what you guys has to say...

personally, I dont see the benefit in the newer format and think it less helpful in the references section, so I'd rather we rename ~60 not 4x~60 pages.(no bot)

• 2 months later...

The Main_Page and few other Portals have been updated, to improve navigation and provide better access to various topics on the wiki. Recently we have also hit the 4,500 articles milestone! Congratulations everyone for your help and contribution, your effort is truly appreciate.

Everyone else are welcome, join us and help build up our community resource, either by editing or providing feedback, creatique or ideas on how further improve the wiki. (If you are a member just click the WIKI on the top bar otherwise try this new Registration guide).

Cheers and happy new year ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that the information from the spoiler TWOW chapter that was released recently was added on several pages* and I'm curious, should it be there? I don't think it's really considerate to the fans who are trying to stay spoiler-free (I already read the chapter, so I wasn't spoiled myself) and I don't recall seeing information from the spoiler chapters of ADWD on the wiki before the book's release. I'm not a regular contributor (or well, any contributor :blushing:) and couldn't find the rule on this, so I figured it's best to ask here.

House Karstark, Arnolf Karstark, Arthor Karstark, Theon, Stannis, Jeyne Poole, Justin Massey, Tycho, Mors Crowffod, etc.

Edited by Wentwarth

Good question. I'm fairly new to the wiki myself, but it seems to me that as long as the headings make it clear that the info is from TWOW, it should be ok. People will supposedly check the table of contents of the article and refuse to read that section.

But I understand that there are other, at least equally valid stances on the matter. Not sure which has been chosen for the wiki.

Good question. I'm fairly new to the wiki myself, but it seems to me that as long as the headings make it clear that the info is from TWOW, it should be ok. People will supposedly check the table of contents of the article and refuse to read that section.

But I understand that there are other, at least equally valid stances on the matter. Not sure which has been chosen for the wiki.

I suppose you're right, but if someone wanted to get a look at the family trees or something else from the bottom of the page, they would have to scroll past the spoilers. And I think another problem is that the wiki is indexed/crawled by Google (and probably other search systems), so some of the spoiler info from it might show up on the results page when you look up characters from the spoiler chapter. For example,

I just searched for 'Arnolf Karstark Stannis' and the results look like

this. So someone who looks Arnolf up to refresh their memory on his allegiance in ADWD could be unpleasantly surprised.

But maybe I worry too much.

Edited by Wentwarth

My personal inclination is that stuff from unpublished writing should be used for historical or thematic details, not for plot stuff. That's my view. Especially given the fact that Martin has been known to change chapters, sometimes quite significantly, so details about what happens to characters in the present narrative may be inaccurate by the time he reads it at a convention next year, much less by the time it's published.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sumpfkraut,

Our wiki is only in English. If you can help out that would be great. There is always enough to do. On our Community portal there is short list of projects on which we are currently working. Of course there is more then the list. A lot changes are done by people who are reading the wiki and discovering errors.

If your idea is to work on a German wiki than an option would be to found one. I have described in this discussion how one could do that.

Some time ago I tried to search for A Song of Ice and Fire wiki's in other languages and made this list. As you can see there are two German language wiki's for the series. Only at the moment nobody is working on it. The wikia one has more articles and is looking for administrators.

But again if you want to contribute on our English wiki then you are more then welcome!

The simplest way to contribute is by using it and making a quick edit when ever you notice that something is missing or that needs a fix. if you wish todo more you can pick a topic of interest and improve entries related to it, there are also some suggestions in the Community portal.

Edited by mor2

We are connected to the French and Russian wiki by means of interlinks but we are all separate wiki's with each its own rules and maintenance.

That is not to say that we never look how the other wiki's are doing things or that we never copy. But each wiki makes its own choices.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed that we currently have to articles that are called Siege of Storm's End. Or to be precise we have:

For clarity I propose that we add the year in the title of booth articles. So the event during the Robert's Rebellion will be named: Siege of Storms's End (283 AL) and the confrontation between Stannis and Renly Siege of Storm's End (299 AL).

Good idea, I am not sure if we have any other articles that has the same issue to compare with, so IMO either that or this(if it is not to long):

Siege of Storm's End (Robert rebellion)

Siege of Storm's End (War of the five kings)

could work.

Edited by mor2