The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

Anyone know why the Purple Wedding Wiki can't be opened properly? Several of my friends are trying to open it to read into the scene that was just aired but they can't, it just blanks.

Opens just fine with me. Perhaps too many people were trying to open the page at once, the "symptoms" you describe can be caused by that. Unfortunately, all your friends can do in such a case is try again later.

Can Prince Daemon Targaryen be changed to the only Daemon Targaryen now? With the new excerpt, the first Daemon Targaryen is now Daemion Targaryen. I tried to do it but it was going to making me delete Daemion even though his name has been changed.

I deleted the redirect page (which was most likely why the wiki saw it as deleting Daemion), and replaced Daemon Targaryen (husband of Rhaenyra) with Daemon Targaryen. Should work fine now, though perhaps we should check all the pages that refer to Prince Daemon to be sure that went well as well.

Question.. I already made a thread about it, but I don't think anyone saw it, so I thought I'd ask here.

On the wiki, the terms "After Aegon's Landing", "AL" and "Before Aegon's Landing" are used, while in tPatQ, the the World book preview, we see BC and AC (After Aegon's Conquest) are used. Even in a Storm of Swords, Tyrion uses the term, telling Sansa that the day of Joffrey's weddig is the first day of the 300th year after Aegon's Conquest.

So I was wondering if all the AL's on the wiki shouldn't be changed into AC's? I've been looking at the three pages that are used for these timelines (Years After Aegon's Conquest (/Theories) and Years Before Aegon's Landing) and at the template used to show the years on the wikipages themselves, and it shouldn't be that much work to change it all into AC, After Conquest and Before Conquest.

With all the new material to be containing these terms, and not AL, I´d say that changing AL into AC would be a good idea, and I´d be happy to do the work. It would, in my opinion, also cut back the confusion that sometimes arises on the dates (since After Landing doesn't sound the same as After Conquest, especially when it is explained to people that the Conquest lasted 2 years, beginning on 2BC..)

Only the three pages will be needing new titles, and on two of the three pages the subtitles (the bolded titles on the page itself) will need to be renamed. The template will simply need a little adjustment, but that will be the least work.

So what's the opinion on this here? It sounds like more work that it will be in reality, and I won't mind doing it. Personally, I think this change would be best.

Renly´s page is opening just fine with me. Perhaps it's your browser? Could a setting accidentally have been changed?

The problem appeared both in Firefox and in Chrome, but I just tried the page again and it works now.

Edited by TheCrannogDweller

Perhaps that particular page was just too busy the last couple of days?

I can't really tell, but I don't see why that would be the case. I don't remember him being mentioned in this week's episode and I see almost no Renly-related threads in ASOIAF General.

Category:Places in the North currently includes locations in "the north proper" controlled by Winterfell as well as locations controlled by the Night's Watch, such as Queenscrown, Weatherback Ridge, and the castles along the Wall. Might it be better to move the latter articles to Category:Night's Watch and add that category to Category:Places in Westeros?

Category:Places in the North currently includes locations in "the north proper" controlled by Winterfell as well as locations controlled by the Night's Watch, such as Queenscrown, Weatherback Ridge, and the castles along the Wall. Might it be better to move the latter articles to Category:Night's Watch and add that category to Category:Places in Westeros?

I'll go with "no".

They're in the North whether or not Winterfell holds them directly.

I'll go with "no".

They're in the North whether or not Winterfell holds them directly.

What brings the idea to mind is Ran's quote here (bolding is mine):

The abandonment of the Gift is a result of the Watch weakening due to the greater peace in the realm reducing the "churn" that kept the Wall supplied was a trend that would have been corrected as things adjusted to changing realities (i.e. Ned Stark getting it back from the Watch). But that said, the Gift is not part of the political-unit-ruled-by-the-Starks that we call the North, so it's neither here nor there.

We already have Category:Places Beyond the Wall, even though that land can be considered part of the North in some contexts despite not being ruled from Winterfell. It is also already a subcategory of Places in the North. The Night's Watch category containing Queenscrown, the Gift, etc. can also be added as a subcategory of the North.

What brings the idea to mind is Ran's quote...

And they're still in the North (not "the north" as the land beyond the wall is) whether Winterfell holds them directly or not.

Until they go on a conquering binge of their own à la the Northern Crusade they're closer to a gigantic Templar chapter: theoretically bound to themselves but still within the territory broadly claimed by the Starks.

My 2c.

If you insist on having a separate category for their territory on the model of the Teutonic Knights or Malta, call it "The Gift".

If you insist on having a separate category for their territory on the model of the Teutonic Knights or Malta, call it "The Gift".

Or perhaps "Territory of the Night's Watch" to include the Gift, the Wall, and their castles?

Well, I don't know if this is a recent thing or a China-specific thing (it seems like others have been complaining about it as well and my California-based proxy has the same problem), but over the past few days the Wiki has started blanking the pages as they load: everything is fine and the page begins to load but then it blanks *everything* except the AWOI&F banner and the top part of the white space. Everything is still provided in the source code but the page itself is gone, which is particularly frustrating when doing a preview since I can't see the results or the save button and it can eventually cause the edits to be lost altogether.

At the moment it's working again but if someone recently changed something, please do change it back; if this is a known problem with a known work-around, kindly lemme in on the secret.

Edited by Maester Pounce