The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

I think it is a caching issue. As an editor, when you come across a page with this issue try purging the page by adding ?action=purge to the URL and seeing if that will fix it.

I think it is a caching issue. As an editor, when you come across a page with this issue try purging the page by adding ?action=purge to the URL and seeing if that will fix it.

At least in my case, I don't think it is a caching issue since it shows up when I am in the editing screen as well. (I don't think the cache affects loading the edit page.)

If I stop the page from finishing its loading, I can access most of it and edit the page text but, if I allow it to finish loading the top and sidebar, everything disappears except the banner. Luckily the internet where I am right now is pretty slow so I have time to stop it at the right place (after it's loaded the "save" button but before it loads whatever's causing the problem), but it's still an odd situation I never get with (e.g.) Wikipedia or even other things at Wikia.

Maester Pounce, I had that issue as well since using Google Chrome. It made it very difficult to make a template of a family tree, especially since it happened 9 out of 10 times I clicked on the "preview" button.

In Internet Explorer, I only had this problem when regulalry visiting a page, never during editing.

A small observation of myself: when not logged in to the wiki, it seems as if the home page doesn't rotate, meaning, the featured article, the quotes of the day, and the "Did you know" facts of the day. Logged in, it all rotates as it should, but for all those not logged in, it seems to stay the same. Shouldn't the non-logged in home page also rotate these things? Perhaps it's just my computer, but I thought I'd check.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to have a certain number of posts on the forum. The idea is to weed out spammers. :) It's either 3 or 5 posts I think.

Oh, alright. I guess I should find an interesting theory thread.

BTW, do you guys have a specific spot that points all this info out? The requirement to be logged into the forums before logging into the wiki wasn't in the help section of the wiki. Neither was the post requirement. Perhaps it's written down somewhere here in the forums?

Edited by AegonVandelay

When one reference is used multiple times on one page, the reference list might list it as multiple sources (though sometimes it doesn't and only lists the source once). Is there a way to make certain that the reference is listed only once in the list, while using it multiple times?

Yeah that's what the ref template is supposed to do

Yeah that's what the ref template is supposed to do

But at times, even though I use the ref template, it lists the reference several times in the list, if I use the same reference at several places in the text of the page. So how do I prevent that, just in case it happens again? It seems silly that 1 chapter is listed several times in the reference source, since it is constantly the same chapter used.

But at times, even though I use the ref template, it lists the reference several times in the list, if I use the same reference at several places in the text of the page. So how do I prevent that, just in case it happens again? It seems silly that 1 chapter is listed several times in the reference source, since it is constantly the same chapter used.

Normally when that happens it's when one reference hasn't used the template

• 2 weeks later...

Its probably stating the obvious to say that this "action purge" workaround is not an acceptable solution in anything exceeding the immediate short term. This needs to get fixed. Hardly any pages work anymore for me.

Edited by Vympel

It's a MySQL error that we're getting on occasion that's messing up the pages. I'm not sure why that is right now, but a restart of the server seems to fix it immediately. It's probably related to the high traffic we get after episodes.