The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

Didn't Jeor explain to Jon that he took the black so Jorah could take over? The bequeathing Longclaw chapter?

( In AGoT, Jeor said he was acquainted with Stannis which must have been from RR and Stannis wouldn't be the type to hang out with 'new loyalists'. I speculated that Jeor was part of the force to take Dragonstone since he must have some naval experience to add to the effort.)

Didn't Jeor explain to Jon that he took the black so Jorah could take over? The bequeathing Longclaw chapter?

( In AGoT, Jeor said he was acquainted with Stannis which must have been from RR and Stannis wouldn't be the type to hang out with 'new loyalists'. I speculated that Jeor was part of the force to take Dragonstone since he must have some naval experience to add to the effort.)

Jon gets Longclaw in chapter 60. In it Jeor only says:

The Mormonts have carried it for five centuries. I wielded it in my day and passed it on to my son when I took the black."

I know it has been mentioned before briefly, but no conclusions were reached. Should the page "Daemon II Blackfyre" be retitled "Daemon Blackfyre (son of Daemon)"? As Daemon was never an actual king.

It makes sense to me, but maybe we could wait until TWOIAF is released to be on the safe side?

Since Rhaenyra isn't listed as queen (although she sat on the Iron Throne for a short time), I wouldn't call him Daemon II. His father is called Daemon I. neither.

From the wiki entry of Jaime Lannister:

Vargo suspects that his superior, Lord Roose Bolton, is thinking about going over to the Lannisters after their victory over Stannis Baratheon in the Battle of the Blackwater and their new alliance to House Tyrell. To prevent this, Vargo orders Zollo to chop Jaime's sword hand off, thinking that the blame will fall on Bolton.

The given source just covers the part Vargo ordering Zollo to chop Jaime's sword hand off. I'm pretty sure there is a passage in the books proving the motive as well, but I can't find it.

Edited by The Wondering Wolf

Since Rhaenyra isn't listed as queen (although she sat on the Iron Thrones for a short time), I wouldn't call him Daemon II. His father is called Daemon I. neither.

Based on our current information, I don't think he should be called Daemon II either. However, it might be good to wait a few weeks and see how the Blackfyres are labeled in TWOIAF. We shouldn't add new content from it right away, but we could use it as a guideline for the Blackfyre article titles.

From the wiki entry of Jaime Lannister:

The given source just covers the part Vargo ordering Zollo to chop Jaime's sword hand off. I'm pretty sure there is a passage in the books proving the motive as well, but I can't find it.

In ASOS-37 Roose tells Jaime,

By maiming you, he meant to remove your sword as a threat, gain himself a grisly token to send to your father, and diminish your value to me. For he is my man, as I am King Robb's man. Thus his crime is mine, or may seem so in your father's eyes. And therein lies my ... small difficulty.

Based on our current information, I don't think he should be called Daemon II either. However, it might be good to wait a few weeks and see how the Blackfyres are labeled in TWOIAF. We shouldn't add new content from it right away, but we could use it as a guideline for the Blackfyre article titles.

In ASOS-37 Roose tells Jaime,

I'd say that adjusting titles (like Mariya Martell, whose name was spelled completely different in the unofficial sample, or like the Blackfyre's, Daemon II, and such) falls in the same category as making a new page for every new character from the book containing only one or two sentences to summarize who they were (or who they were related to, in the case of them being part of a noble house), and a family tree.

Adding, for characters for example, what they all did during their lifetime, or for events, what exactly happened in a certain war, and who got killed by who, should not be added right away, naturally.

Ran, I saw the warning message on the wiki :) I have one question about it, though. Does that also mean that the approach I suggested a while back (quoted below) should be used after November 27th only?

I just now saw this post. Good to hear.

If I might ask, HelenaAndTheMachine and I have had a discussion on this thread about world book info and the wiki, for during the spoiler period. After you expressed that familytree updates would be allowed, but content-filled pages for new characters (or, I take it, additions for characters we already know about) isn't allowed, during the 3 month spoiler period.

Helena & I came up with the idea that new pages for all new characters can be created, during those three months, but that those pages should only contain the characters infobox (stating their hose, their birth year, their death year, their spouse), an updated family tree, and 1 or 2 lines of text stating which house they were from, who their parents were, but not, for example, which events they were involved in, or how they died, or such.

In that way, someone whose reading the world book and who thinks, "Gee, who is Sarella Lannister?", that person can just type in the name in the search box of the wiki, and a page will turn up with the family tree on it, and when she was born.

How she died, or all she did during her lifetime, would then not be on such a page.

This page (Tion Lannister) was created after the Westerland reading, for example. Like this, or perhaps containing even less information?

I was wondering how you feel about such an approach, for during the three month spoiler period?

Further, I thought it worth mentioning, that I've been able to resize images again the last week or so (since the problem of uploading images has been fixed). I haven't found that many images that needed a resizing, but those who did, I was able to change again. :) So I think that's fixed as well..

Ah, yes, we inadvertently solved the issue when we went and fixed permissions on the folders. Glad that sorted it out.

I find it difficult to find a brief way to convey the nuance of such a policy, I admit. Any thoughts on that?

Perhaps, either a clear post on the forum about what is allowed and what isn't, and link to that in the message. Or make a temporary wiki-page, stating what is allowed, and what absolutely isn't, and link to that in the message.

In such a case, the message, I think, would become something like

The World of Ice and Fire (US, UK) will be released October 28. Editors, please refrain from including information from the book prior to November 27. For more information, see here

With the word here linking either to the temporary wiki page, or the post on forum.

Would that be an idea?