The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

Am I right to assume that House Shett of Gull Tower and House Shett of Gulltown are two different houses? The Alayne chapter gives different arms than we had previously. Also the wiki says Gull Tower is in Gulltown, but the source is:

Also, looking at the new Vale houses, House Shett is listed as being lords of Gulltown, although we already have House Grafton as that. Some sort of shared control?

Sure, why not. Gulltown is either a very big town or a small city, plenty large enough for two Houses.

We are hoping to differentiate between towns, cities, and castles on the new maps, which has got me thinking about such things. There are five cities in Westeros: King's Landing, Oldtown, Lannisport, Gulltown, and White Harbor. But the first two are much bigger than Lannisport, which is in turn much bigger than the last two.

And if there are two house Shetts, then Martin could have been talking about House Shett of Gulltown, and Gull Tower could be the location of a cadet branch anywhere in the Vale.

With the release of a new sample chapter it might be good to discuss how to handle TWOW, since the Alayne chapter introduces a number of new characters.

Ran, you indicated here that three months should pass from the publication date before information is added from a new canon source. How would you like us to handle information from TWOW sample chapters?

There are summaries of George's "officially released" sample chapters (as opposed to convention readings) here and information from the samples is included in various articles, such as Aenys Frey. Is it okay to keep TWOW info, remove it partially (i.e. remove plot information but keep worldbuilding info, like new Houses mentioned), or should it be removed entirely until three months from the publication of TWOW?

The main thing is that posted chapters aren't necessarily in final form, and it's entirely possible that when going through for a final polish details might change. There have been readings of chapters that changed significantly before their final form in the books, and just because these are posted online it doesn't mean they won't possibly change.

I think if there's a clear way to note details are potentially subject to change upon publication, it should be okay to go into them on the wiki, however.

The main thing is that posted chapters aren't necessarily in final form, and it's entirely possible that when going through for a final polish details might change. There have been readings of chapters that changed significantly before their final form in the books, and just because these are posted online it doesn't mean they won't possibly change.

I think if there's a clear way to note details are potentially subject to change upon publication, it should be okay to go into them on the wiki, however.

Perhaps by placing a warning box above each page where the sample chapters are summarized? Like this.

Any unpublished stuff could also be marked 'preliminary information' or something like that. Any unpublished manuscript is preliminary and should be subject to change until it is published to correct mistakes and make it better (and that's usually what is done).

Somebody should rework Harrold Hardyng in any case as the article blatantly states Harry would rule the Vale as 'Harrold Arryn' when we don't really know that. It may be the case, and Harry's personal arms certainly indicate that he sees himself as an Arryn.

Edited by Lord Varys

Somebody should rework Harrold Hardyng in any case as the article blatantly states Harry would rule the Vale as 'Harrold Arryn' when we don't really know that. It may be the case, and Harry's personal arms certainly indicate that he sees himself as an Arryn.

I rephrased Harry's info.

Separately, the "Appearance and Character" section for Mace Tyrell article does not seem neutral. Is there a source for him being a "prematurely old and tedious man lacking in political savvy"? Olenna tells Sansa he is a great oaf, but that is only her opinion and Olenna might have her own agenda in describing him as such.

According to another semi-canon source, the Mudds were destroyed in wars against the Storm Kings or Ironmen.[4] Unless the Storm Kings or Ironmen were the Andal invaders this may be an error or George R. R. Martin may have changed his mind.

From the page of House Mudd. The riverlands were invaded right after the conquest of the Vale, and both the Storm Kings and the Ironborn were First Men at that time. So I think we can delete this passage.

When attempting to edit the wiki, I get an error displayed. I read that more people have this problem..

Hi guys,

Recently we have same problem. I want to add interwiki links to Persian(Farsi) pages but I encounter this error:

A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:(SQL query hidden)from within function "RecentChange::save". Database returned error "1054: Unknown column 'rc_cur_time' in 'field list' (10.80.60.194)".
for example I want to add this:
[[fa:ستاره هفت پر]]
to this article:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_Seven-Pointed_Star

but I see error. I tried unicode equivalent code:

[[fa:ستاره هفت پر]]
but the result is the same. Is there any solution for this?

Thanks

The error message appears with every attempted edit, not specific edits, so nothing can be changed anymore atm..

Wad mentioned in another thread, but perhaps it is best placed here.