The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

That's great to hear. :) We had wanted one for a long while, but creating a responsive/mobile skin is way beyond what we can do ourselves, so we had to wait until we could upgrade and get the one that was available.

Oops. Saved an earlier version of the LocalSettings file which contained information concerning editing and so on.

Due to the high load that editing LocalSettings causes right now, I will correct the situation tomorrow morning, re: editing. Sorry about the inconvenience.

LocalSettings should be fixed now, so people should be able to edit/move/etc.

I have installed the PageImages extension which prettifies the search a bit for mobile users: if they search for an article and that article has been edited or created since I installed the extension, it will provide a small thumbnail of an appropriate image taken from the article and place it next to the search result. I've gone ahead and edited a number of pages (literally just edit and then save) to create a few such thumbnails, so you can see an example of how this works if you put in Doran, Ellaria, Stannis, or Braavos into the mobile search (can also be accessed on a desktop using ?useformat=mobile in front of any wiki url).

If anyone really wants, going through categories and resaving a bunch of popular articles would be nice to make the search look that much better for people, but it's very much a cosmetic thing.

We're approaching the point where -- other than the instability we've been wrestling with this last week, which we hope to resolve if not today then in the next few days -- the wiki is more-or-less functioning as it ought. The outstanding thing left is to figure out how to rewrite the Main Page so it will play nice on mobile (both in terms of getting rid of the hardcoded columns and using CSS instead, and figuring out how to position the headers appropriately in the mobile skin).

After that, there's a question of extensions: what extensions are missing that people really feel we need to have running again, and what extensions have people seen that they would really like to have added. The main thing I can think of that we'd like to eventually include is Mediawiki's VisualEditor, but this has a very particular set of dependencies that need to be installed, and it looks like a big job. Anything else?

Edited by Ran

Typed in "Doran" to see the example, very nice. That will appear now for each article that is edited from this moment forth, right?

I have no idea what Mediawiki's VisualEditor is, so I can't say anything about that. But I did notice another function that is present on the desktop-version, but not on the mobile skin, that could possibly be added.. The categories are no longer visible on the wiki-skin. It's not such an important function, just something that, at times, makes it easier to navigate. I'm not even sure if it would be possible to add such a function, as the english wikipedia doesn't show the categories on mobile skin either..

That, I do not know, I admit. I suspect it's just a weird quirk due to the bridge being down. I'll see if there's a solution anywhere, but I'll be honest, I am dubious.

ETA: Have you tried to switch your phone to the desktop view and then logging in? There's a link at the bottom of all mobile pages giving the desktop option.

Edited by Ran

That, I do not know, I admit. I suspect it's just a weird quirk due to the bridge being down. I'll see if there's a solution anywhere, but I'll be honest, I am dubious.

ETA: Have you tried to switch your phone to the desktop view and then logging in? There's a link at the bottom of all mobile pages giving the desktop option.

I tried, but I get the same message:

Login error

There is no user by the name

"Rhaenys_Targaryen". Check your spelling.

Meanwhile, before you did the updates, I logged into the wiki and checked the "keep me logged in" box (as I always do) on the laptop, and I am perfectly capable of making edits there..

When going to my user page on the wiki (using laptop), I do get the message (and always have, from day 1) User account "Rhaenys Targaryen" is not registered. Please check if you want to create/edit this page. when I wish to edit my user page.. RumHam once explained to me that this is because of the _ in my username, but editing the page is possible (and has been done on multiple occasions)..

Logged in, I am also displayed with the _ in the little menu on top of the page..

I would be very thankful for a fix.. The fact that, even on desktop version, my mobile gets that error message, makes me think that, should my laptop for some reason be logged out suddenly, I won't be able to get logged back into the wiki..

Okay, last question, I assume you're logged into the forum on your mobile device?

My guess then is that it's the bridge, and the fact that mobile devices perhaps handle cookies differently than desktop browsers, so the fact that you have a cookie from the forum isn't sufficient to get you logged into the wiki on that device.

I tried, but I get the same message:

Login error

There is no user by the name

"Rhaenys_Targaryen". Check your spelling.

Meanwhile, before you did the updates, I logged into the wiki and checked the "keep me logged in" box (as I always do) on the laptop, and I am perfectly capable of making edits there..

When going to my user page on the wiki (using laptop), I do get the message (and always have, from day 1) User account "Rhaenys Targaryen" is not registered. Please check if you want to create/edit this page. when I wish to edit my user page.. RumHam once explained to me that this is because of the _ in my username, but editing the page is possible (and has been done on multiple occasions)..

Logged in, I am also displayed with the _ in the little menu on top of the page..

I would be very thankful for a fix.. The fact that, even on desktop version, my mobile gets that error message, makes me think that, should my laptop for some reason be logged out suddenly, I won't be able to get logged back into the wiki..

That is the message I get (and always have got) with my username too. I believe I discussed this way back when with you in SmallQuestions, about the apostrophe in my username.

That is the message I get (and always have got) with my username too. I believe I discussed this way back when with you in SmallQuestions, about the apostrophe in my username.

Indeed, we did.. But back then (in fact, two weeks ago even) I could still log in onto the wiki (both laptop and mobile) with my username, despite the underscore..

I thought that was a setting we had before, but apparently not. It basically means that it's inviting a second user to examine and sign off somehow on the edit. I'll remove that next time I update localsettings.

Since these recent changes my wiki password and forum password are not the same. I didn't notice until I logged out of the forum and tried to get back on. I believe the wiki is still using my old password, which I changed when we had that forum password error last summer. It's not an issue for me, I know both passwords, but I thought I'd point it out.