The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

Yes, that now works as well.. In fact, it works even better than before.. I seem to now be able to remain logged in on both laptop and phone, whereas before, I could only be logged in at one platform at once..

But logged in and made an edit on both phone and laptop now, seems to work just fine. :)

Once again, thank you very much :D

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

The pages for the various Walder and Walda Frey's are now titled by their nicknames (Black Walder Frey, Fair Walda Frey, etc.)... Wouldn't it be better if those pages were titled like all other pages where one name can refer to multiple characters (like Aegon Targaryen (son of Aerys II))?

So instead of Black Walder Frey, title the page "Walder Frey (son of Ryman)"?

The pages for the various Walder and Walda Frey's are now titled by their nicknames (Black Walder Frey, Fair Walda Frey, etc.)... Wouldn't it be better if those pages were titled like all other pages where one name can refer to multiple characters (like Aegon Targaryen (son of Aerys II))?

So instead of Black Walder Frey, title the page "Walder Frey (son of Ryman)"?

Yep, I think that's a good idea when we know familial connections. If we don't know a relation, however, I think it is better to use George's phrasing when possible. If we didn't know that Black Walder is the son of Ryman, for instance, I think it would be better to have him at "Black Walder Frey" instead of "Walder Frey (Black)" or "Walder Frey (Black Walder)".

Ok..

Another thing I have been thinking about for a while...

The references are not displayed in a constant way. For example, when The Iron Suitor is used as a reference, we type {{Ref|adwd|56}}, and the wiki displays 'A Dance With Dragons, chapter 56, the Iron Suitor (Victarion 0)'

Why 'Victarion 0' behind the chapter title? This is done for Asha, Quentyn and Barristan as well, though their numbering begins with 1 (as they only have descriptive titles, whereas The Iron Suitor is followed by Victarion I)..

Further, this is only done for chapters in Dance, and not for those in Feast, while Feast also has descriptive titles (think Arianne, Victarion, etc...

So something should be organized there.

Further, currently, all references only mention the POV name..for example, ADWD chapters 12, 20 and 32 ( {{Ref|adwd|12}}, {{Ref|adwd|20}} and {{Ref|adwd|32}} respectively) are all called 'Reek' (A Dance with Dragons, chapter 12, Reek ; A Dance with Dragons, chapter 20, Reek ; A Dance with Dragons, chapter 32, Reek, respectively).. wouldn't it be better to have the reference title them 'A Dance with Dragons, chapter 12, Reek I' ; 'A Dance with Dragons, chapter 20, Reek II' ; 'A Dance with Dragons, chapter 32, Reek III' ?

So then for Theon, for example, the references, after the 'A Dance with Dragons, chapter #' part, reads , Reek I, Reek II, Reek III, The Prince of Winterfell, The Turncloak, A Ghost in Winterfell, and Theon I..

For Victarion, instead of 'The Iron Suitor (Victarion 0)' and 'Victarion I', we'd simply get 'The Iron Suitor' and 'Victarion I'

That way, not only can you immediately see the chapter number, but also which exact chapter it refers to (so it will be easier to distinguish between, for example, Tyrion IV and Tyrion V in Game, Clash, Storm or Dance, for example).

Opinions?

While, browsing the wiki I noticed that the House Baratheon page contains a confusion from the show in regards to Renly's conversation with Ned after Robert's injury.

However, when I attempted to login onto the wiki to fix it told me that my username doesn't exist and this is the only username I have used on this site.

Edited by Minsc

To which category on Temple:Houses from the Crownlands add Dargoods and Darkwoods?

They are not lords, we don't know if they are landed knights...

House Darke is in "Knightly Houses" but we don't know if they really are knights...

Ser Harrold Darke was member of Queensguard but that doesn't mean that house is "knightly"...

While, browsing the wiki I noticed that the House Baratheon page contains a confusion from the show in regards to Renly's conversation with Ned after Robert's injury.

However, when I attempted to login onto the wiki to fix it told me that my username doesn't exist and this is the only username I have used on this site.

Yes, the thing is that once IPB-Wiki Bridge worked properly, you basically never referenced the Wiki account, other than for the bridge to say "Yes, this person is the same as that person."

But without the bridge, if you changed passwords since the time you originally registered for the wiki (via the forum login), you'll have to use your old password.

We do have trying to fix the bridge for this version as one of our projects, but we're starting to get very pressed for time thanks to the show and all that our coverage of it entails.

And concerning someone who has signed up before the problems, but did not attempt to log in until after..

If she never signed into the wiki before, the IPB-Wiki Bridge would not have set up her account on the wiki, and with the IPB-Wiki Bridge disabled, there's no way presently for someone to sign up.

Which are you missing? The only one I have been missing so far (though I haven't done many mobile edits yet) is the 'what links here' feature..

Special pages and profile

I like that mobile v. has "user profile" option with statistics..

Edited by Blue Tiger

Ok..

Another thing I have been thinking about for a while...

The references are not displayed in a constant way. For example, when The Iron Suitor is used as a reference, we type {{Ref|adwd|56}}, and the wiki displays 'A Dance With Dragons, chapter 56, the Iron Suitor (Victarion 0)'

Why 'Victarion 0' behind the chapter title? This is done for Asha, Quentyn and Barristan as well, though their numbering begins with 1 (as they only have descriptive titles, whereas The Iron Suitor is followed by Victarion I)..

Further, this is only done for chapters in Dance, and not for those in Feast, while Feast also has descriptive titles (think Arianne, Victarion, etc...

So something should be organized there.

Further, currently, all references only mention the POV name..for example, ADWD chapters 12, 20 and 32 ( {{Ref|adwd|12}}, {{Ref|adwd|20}} and {{Ref|adwd|32}} respectively) are all called 'Reek' (A Dance with Dragons, chapter 12, Reek ; A Dance with Dragons, chapter 20, Reek ; A Dance with Dragons, chapter 32, Reek, respectively).. wouldn't it be better to have the reference title them 'A Dance with Dragons, chapter 12, Reek I' ; 'A Dance with Dragons, chapter 20, Reek II' ; 'A Dance with Dragons, chapter 32, Reek III' ?

So then for Theon, for example, the references, after the 'A Dance with Dragons, chapter #' part, reads , Reek I, Reek II, Reek III, The Prince of Winterfell, The Turncloak, A Ghost in Winterfell, and Theon I..

For Victarion, instead of 'The Iron Suitor (Victarion 0)' and 'Victarion I', we'd simply get 'The Iron Suitor' and 'Victarion I'

That way, not only can you immediately see the chapter number, but also which exact chapter it refers to (so it will be easier to distinguish between, for example, Tyrion IV and Tyrion V in Game, Clash, Storm or Dance, for example).

Opinions?

Those make sense. Additionally, I noticed that the ADWD chapter summaries aren't linking in the same way that earlier books link. Within the infobox for "A Feast for Crows-Chapter 17", the other chapter links go to the correct article, for instance "A Feast for Crows-Chapter 18". In comparison, "A Dance with Dragons-Chapter 33" links to "Bran III (A Dance with Dragons)", a redirect, instead of directly to "A Dance with Dragons-Chapter 34".

Separately, with the Frey article renaming in mind, the Umbers could be renamed to "Jon Umber" and "Jon Umber (son of Jon)".

Thirdly, http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Special:SpecialPages has some tools that could be of use, but it isn't giving up to date results.