The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

It could be some pre-Targaryen king, but the only connection to the Stormlands I can see is the name Orys, and that doesn't compute. Orys Baratheon was from a Valyrian outpost so why should Orys be a traditional Stormlands/Durrandon name? I'm not going to bother making an account over there just to fix it, but maybe Wert or The Dragon Demands will see this and do it.

Considering Maegor III and the fact that they erased Jaehaerys II from existance for no apparent reason, I'm betting they intended "Orys the First" to be Orys Targaryen. It seems clear they don't care about getting these tiny historical details right. I mean it's not a big deal but it wouldn't be hard for them to look up the name of an actual Targryen king.

It's not as if the lords of the narrow sea had no contacts or interminglings with people on the shores near them. The name Joffrey crops up in both the west and the stormlands, why not Orys in the stormlands and Dragonstone?

That said, it's not canonical at all. I'd suggest they say it's either an error (by the show or by the character) or they made up some unknown pre-Targaryen king.

"Three Thousand of Qohor" currently redirects to "Battle of Qohor", but GRRM has not used that as a proper title. Any objections to deleting the current 3KoQ redirect (which has edit history) so that the current BoQ can be moved to 3KoQ?

On the homepage, the wiki to the polish wiki doesn't work..

This (http://wiki.westeros.pl/index.php?title=Strona_g%C5%82%C3%B3wna) seems to be the correct link, though that wiki is still partly (mostly?) in english (I suppose the process of translating all into polish is still ongoing?). Should that link thus be changed, or should that be done only when the site has been translated into Polish?

Catelyn and Lysa are currently titled under their maiden names, Catelyn Tully and Lysa Tully, respectively. GRRM more frequently uses their married names (Catelyn Stark and Lysa Arryn) within the novels, however. They are called under both names within the appendices.

Ran,

How do you want the info from the app to be reflected on the wiki? Most of the information from the app used on the wiki can be found in infoboxes, so typing (according to semi-canon sources) behind the info (usually places of birth or death) doesn't really seem to be an option.

Should the wiki state specifically for each entry that the source is a semi-canon one? That isn't really consistently done with SSM's either.. The information in now usually simply changed when the info becomes outdated.

Or should the Referencing and Canon page mentioning that the app is a semi-canon source be enough in that regard?

A third option perhaps, is mentioning the "according to semi-canon sources" in text only, but not in regards to the info in the infoboxes..

Any idea's or suggestions for that?

Ran, also very curious how this is going to be handled?

I suppose that the following page is supposed to list all the pages where arcitles redirect to, but don't exist yet?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Special:WantedPages

The page currently doesn't seem to work, but if it did, it would be extremely useful. Is there any way we can get it working again?

There are some other potentially useful pages here.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Special:SpecialPages

Once again, I'd like to suggest a slight name-change to the reference of the app. Currently, it is simply called "A World of Ice and Fire", which, since The World of Ice and Fire was released, has been causing more and more confusion..

I know we've discussed it before, and couldn't really reach a conclusion, but, perhaps we could go with "George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire", as that part is quite consistent in the naming?

Nittanian posted this list of known names a while back

• iTunes calls it "George R. R. Martin’s A World of Ice and Fire – A Game of Thrones Guide",
  • iOS internally describes it as "George R.R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire - A Companion to the A Song of Ice and Fire series.
  • Google Play labels it as "A Game of Thrones Guide", at least on the purchase page.
  • B&N Nook calls it "George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones Guide".
  • GRRM's website describes it as "George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire (Mobile App)".
  • Random House lists it as "George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire".

Balerion's page. where it writes balerion could swallow a mammoth whole is actually a Tyrions thought. should be in the quotes section rather than appearance section. Or it should be corrected to, ''according to tyrion''

full quote

And the greatest of them, Balerion, the Black Dread, could have swallowed an aurochs whole, or even one of the hairy mammoths said to roam the cold wastes beyond the Port of Ibben.

Sounds to me like Tyrion is stating facts.. he might have never seen the dragons in person, but I guess he read it in books and such.

I don't think this needs changing?

no. h's stating his opinion.

also someone change the house velaryion logo. it bugs me. it's a rampant sea horse argent like so

http://wiki.westeros.pl/images/thumb/f/f3/House_Velaryon.PNG/250px-House_Velaryon.PNG

not an actual sea horse

On the homepage, the wiki to the polish wiki doesn't work..

This (http://wiki.westeros.pl/index.php?title=Strona_g%C5%82%C3%B3wna) seems to be the correct link, though that wiki is still partly (mostly?) in english (I suppose the process of translating all into polish is still ongoing?). Should that link thus be changed, or should that be done only when the site has been translated into Polish?

I don't think that "translating process" will be ever finished... Some major articles weren't updated in years, almost no sources, typos , grammar mistakes, absolute nonsense in some articles, almost no info from TWOIAF, ( and ADWD & TPaTQ & Dunk & Egg ), almost everything copied from our Wiki ( years ago, not updated) , some parts translated with Google Translator ( terrible for slavic languages).

For example: article about House Stark: http://wiki.westeros.pl/index.php?title=R%C3%B3d_Stark%C3%B3w

no. h's stating his opinion.

also someone change the house velaryion logo. it bugs me. it's a rampant sea horse argent like so

http://wiki.westeros.pl/images/thumb/f/f3/House_Velaryon.PNG/250px-House_Velaryon.PNG

not an actual sea horse

From there the skulls ranged upward in size to the three great monsters of song and story, the dragons that Aegon Targaryen and his sisters had unleashed on the Seven Kingdoms of old. The singers had given them the names of gods: Balerion, Meraxes, Vhaghar. Tyrion had stood between their gaping jaws, wordless and awed. You could have ridden a horse down Vhaghar’s gullet, although you would not have ridden it out again. Meraxes was even bigger. And the greatest of them, Balerion, the Black Dread, could have swallowed an aurochs whole, or even one of the hairy mammoths said to roam the cold wastes beyond the Port of Ibben.

Explain to me how this is Tyrion's opinion? He's stood in front of the skulls of Balerion, Meraxes and Vhagar, and thus clearly knows how big they were at their deaths. Tyrion would also know the average size of a horse (Vhagar), and the size of an aurochs, or the hairy mammoths from beyond Ibben, would be known to him as well, most likely, due to the fact he reads a lot of books..

He doesn't say "I guess", or "I think". Instead, he says that it's the case. A horse could ride through Vhagar's gullet.. He's not saying it happened, he's saying it would have been possible. That doesn't make it an opinions about the size of Vhagars skull.

As to House Velaryon.. Where is it stated it is supposed to be a rampant seahorse?

If the image is wrong, a simple rollback to a previous version of the image should do the trick.. Or re-uploading of the old image..