The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

Thanks i guess i somehow read over that, but are there any other mentions of Brandon the daughterless i thougt he was part of the list of statues named by Bran but i just checked and he is not, this could mean that Brandon the daughterless did not exist at al. Afterall Bael's existens is questioned in twoiaf since he is not present in the records of Winterfell.

If that is the case shouldend that  be mentioned on the wikipage of Brandon  altough it already says "supposedly" it to me at least was not weary clear.

but again thanks for the quote.

The supposedly seems to be about the timing of the events. Brandon is called a Lord, and the Kingsroad is mentioned, suggesting that Brandon the Daughterless lived after the Conquest. However, Bael's son was skinned by one of his lords who wore his skin, a description of House Bolton, but they are stated to have last skinned a Stark lord a thousand years ago (700 years BC), which is contradictory. 

So the "supposedly" means that Brandon supposedly was the Lord of Winterfell, (as per Ygritte's story), even though the part about skinning indicates that the legend of Bael took place before the Conquest, when the Starks were not Lords, but the Kings of Winter.

The supposedly seems to be about the timing of the events. Brandon is called a Lord, and the Kingsroad is mentioned, suggesting that Brandon the Daughterless lived after the Conquest. However, Bael's son was skinned by one of his lords who wore his skin, a description of House Bolton, but they are stated to have last skinned a Stark lord a thousand years ago (700 years BC), which is contradictory. 

So the "supposedly" means that Brandon supposedly was the Lord of Winterfell, (as per Ygritte's story), even though the part about skinning indicates that the legend of Bael took place before the Conquest, when the Starks were not Lords, but the Kings of Winter.

Right but that would only indicaid further that Brandon the daughterless might not have existed, and this is not mentioned on the wiki page.

I unfortunatly can not alter the page myself, but if somewon could do that becouse i do think it is a important peace of information.

Aegon the Conqueror's invasion of the Seven Kingdoms is currently titled as "War of Conquest", but I haven't found that specific phrasing in ASOIAF. GRRM frequently uses "Aegon's Conquest" or just "the Conquest". "Wars of Conquest" is used in the appendices for AGOT and ADWD and twice in TWOIAF. Any objection if I move the article to "Aegon's Conquest"?

Any opinions on this?

"Wars of Conquest" sounds more like an official name, though "Aegon's Conquest" or "the Conquest" is used more frequently. So I'm not sure. Is there a policy on this?

Maester Yandel would be an official scholar. He titles a chapter as "The Conquest" in TWOIAF, but within that chapter he twice uses "Wars of Conquest". Using asearchoficeandfire, I don't see any mention of "Wars of Conquest" within the novels, aside from appendices (which sometimes reuses paragraphs from novel to novel).

Gyldayn, also a scholar, uses "Aegon's Conquest" once in TRP and twice in TPATQ. "Aegon's Conquest" is used four times within the novels of ASOIAF and thirteen times by Yandel in TWOIAF.

It is difficult to search for "the Conquest" with asearchoficeandfire. Using my ebooks, I count nine uses of "the Conquest" within the text of ASOIAF. Yandel uses it frequently in TWOIAF, but often as part Before the Conquest or After the Conquest.

IMO, "Aegon's Conquest" would be the best title, since it is used more frequently in GRRM's newer publications and not just in appendices. "The Conquest" is shorthand for "Aegon's Conquest", and "Aegon's Conquest" is differentiatet as a title from the Young Dragon's "conquest of Dorne". "Wars of Conquest" would be mentioned in the lead paragraph, of course.

Maester Yandel would be an official scholar. He titles a chapter as "The Conquest" in TWOIAF, but within that chapter he twice uses "Wars of Conquest". Using asearchoficeandfire, I don't see any mention of "Wars of Conquest" within the novels, aside from appendices (which sometimes reuses paragraphs from novel to novel).

Gyldayn, also a scholar, uses "Aegon's Conquest" once in TRP and twice in TPATQ. "Aegon's Conquest" is used four times within the novels of ASOIAF and thirteen times by Yandel in TWOIAF.

It is difficult to search for "the Conquest" with asearchoficeandfire. Using my ebooks, I count nine uses of "the Conquest" within the text of ASOIAF. Yandel uses it frequently in TWOIAF, but often as part Before the Conquest or After the Conquest.

IMO, "Aegon's Conquest" would be the best title, since it is used more frequently in GRRM's newer publications and not just in appendices. "The Conquest" is shorthand for "Aegon's Conquest", and "Aegon's Conquest" is differentiatet as a title from the Young Dragon's "conquest of Dorne". "Wars of Conquest" would be mentioned in the lead paragraph, of course.

Ok, fine by me :)

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

King of the Greenbelt

From A Wiki of Ice and Fire - A Song of Ice and Fire & Game of Thrones
King of the Greenbelt was one of the titles held by King Yorick V Yronwood, the last independent Yronwood king, who resisted the unification of Dorne under House Martell in Nymeria's War.[1] It is likely "the Greenbelt" referred to in the title is the river that runs eastward from the Red Mountains and the Prince's Pass to the Sea of Dorne, near Yronwood.

this is what it says on the wiki, but i thought the greenbelt revered to the small stretch of land just below the red mountains that is green and fertile becouse the clouds drop there rain there before crossing over the red mountains. these would be the green and wel timbered foothills mentioned in the woiaf. altough there is also a title Master of the Green Hills so i may be wrong, but this last title is not included in the titels of the last Yronwood king while the title King of the Greenbelt is not included in the titels of the king who used Master of the Green Hills.

perhaps someone can clear this up?

Edited by direpupy

King of the Greenbelt

From A Wiki of Ice and Fire - A Song of Ice and Fire & Game of Thrones
King of the Greenbelt was one of the titles held by King Yorick V Yronwood, the last independent Yronwood king, who resisted the unification of Dorne under House Martell in Nymeria's War.[1] It is likely "the Greenbelt" referred to in the title is the river that runs eastward from the Red Mountains and the Prince's Pass to the Sea of Dorne, near Yronwood.

this is what it says on the wiki, but i thought the greenbelt revered to the small stretch of land just below the red mountains that is green and fertile becouse the clouds drop there rain there before crossing over the red mountains. these would be the green and wel timbered foothills mentioned in the woiaf. altough there is also a title Master of the Green Hills so i may be wrong, but this last title is not included in the titels of the last Yronwood king while the title King of the Greenbelt is not included in the titels of the king who used Master of the Green Hills.

perhaps someone can clear this up?

There's nothing in the text specifying what "the Greenbelt" refers to, and so, the "it is likely..." part is someone's own speculation.. Hence, it should removed, imo.

There are a number of pages displaying the following message at the bottom:

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at [pagename]. The list of authors can be seen in the page history of [Pagename]. As with A Wiki of Ice and Fire - A Song of Ice and Fire & Game of Thrones, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.

If the text on the awoiaf-page now no longer looks anything like the text on the english wikipedia page as it was back then, can this message be removed?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Faith_of_the_Seven

Septas

Female clergy are called "septas", and there are various orders of devotion amongst them. There are orders of septas, called white, grey, or blue septas, but it is unrevealed to which aspect of the deity each of them is devoted. There are convents of septas called "motherhouses", including a large one in Oldtown and another in Bechester. Septas often serve as governesses in the households of the high nobility. A trial of a woman conducted by the Faith will have septas sitting among the seven judges. High-ranking septas are counted as members of the "Most Devout", revealing that they have a voice in the selection of a High Septon.

This sorta gives the impression that the Most Devout is made up entirely of women, when in fact I'm not sure if they admit women at all. I did a quick search and didn't find any mention of a female Most Devout. 

Edit: I went ahead and made the change.

Edit: I now notice on the Most Devout page that they do have septa's in the Most Devout, so maybe that bolded line should be removed entirely or put in another section.

There are a number of pages displaying the following message at the bottom:

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at [pagename]. The list of authors can be seen in the page history of [Pagename]. As with A Wiki of Ice and Fire - A Song of Ice and Fire & Game of Thrones, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.

If the text on the awoiaf-page now no longer looks anything like the text on the english wikipedia page as it was back then, can this message be removed?

I don't see why not. 

Edited by RumHam

It is stated that Beric died in 300 AC for the last time, but I'm not sure about that. He died resurrecting Catelyn three days after the Red Wedding which took place in 299 AC. King's Landing received the message of the RW in 299 AC (prior to the Purple Wedding on the first day of 300 AC). So to me it seems unlikely that only three days passed between the Red Wedding and the Purple Wedding.

It is stated that Beric died in 300 AC for the last time, but I'm not sure about that. He died resurrecting Catelyn three days after the Red Wedding which took place in 299 AC. King's Landing received the message of the RW in 299 AC (prior to the Purple Wedding on the first day of 300 AC). So to me it seems unlikely that only three days passed between the Red Wedding and the Purple Wedding.

Hmm.. I agree that it is most likely not 300 AC.

Though can we state with certainty that it was 299 AC?

Perhaps we can list it as  299 AC/300 AC, with a reference tag stating it was too close to the turning of the year to be certain?

Maybe there is a hint in the Tyrion chapters regarding the period between RW and PW. Otherwise your solution would work for me.

Yorbert Royce:

Rhea Royce, of unknown relation to Lord Yorbert, is known to have been Lady of Runestone by the time of the accession King Viserys I Targaryen,[2] so Lord Yorbert presumably died at some point between the Great Council and the death of the Old King.

I can't find the passage stating that Rhea was Lady of Runestone in 103 AC.

Maybe there is a hint in the Tyrion chapters regarding the period between RW and PW. Otherwise your solution would work for me.

Haven't been able to detect such a hint as of yet.

Yorbert Royce:

I can't find the passage stating that Rhea was Lady of Runestone in 103 AC.

The World of Ice and Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Viserys I

Though he had wed the Lady of Runestone in 97 AC, during the Old King's reign, the marriage had not been a success. Prince Daemon found the Vale of Arryn boring ("In the Vale, the men fuck sheep," he wrote. "You cannot fault them. Their sheep are prettier than their women."), and soon developed a mislike of his lady wife, whom he called "my bronze bitch," after the runic bronze armor worn by the lords of House Royce.

A description of the start of Viserys's reign.

The World of Ice and Fire there quoted Gyldayn, from this passage from The Rogue Prince, of course equally a description of the start of Viserys's reign

As charming as he was hot-tempered, Prince Daemon had earned his knight’s spurs at six-and-ten, and had been given Dark Sister by the Old King himself in recognition of his prowess. Though he had wed the Lady of Runestone in 97 AC, during the Old King’s reign, the marriage had not been a success. Prince Daemon found the Vale of Arryn boring (“In the Vale, the men fuck sheep,” he wrote. “You cannot fault them. Their sheep are prettier than their women.”), and soon developed a mislike of his lady wife, whom he called my bronze bitch, after the runic bronze armor worn by the lords of House Royce. Upon the accession of his brother to the Iron Throne, the prince petitioned to have his marriage set aside. Viserys denied the request but did allow Daemon to return to court, where he sat on the small council, serving as master of coin from 103–104, and master of laws for half a year in 104.

But Yorbert was Lord during the Great Council of 101, so she couldn't have been Lady of Runestone in 97 AC. And Yandel states:

That's true, but that's not what the passages are stating. They are describing the start of Viserys's reign (103 AC), and in that description, they name her the Lady of Runestone., which implies that, at least in 103 AC, she was already the Lady of Runestone. Daemon wed the girl who in 103 AC was the Lady of Runestone six years prior, when she was still heir.

From Triarch of Volantis:

While the elections have ended,[11] the results of the new elections have not yet been revealed. With the city thirsty for war against Daenerys Targaryen[2] speculation is rife that two tigers might be elected triarch, something that has not happened for three hundred years.[Citation Needed]

Where does the bolded come from?

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen