The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

2 minutes ago, Nittanian said:

Would separate templates be required for the Vale, Dorne, and westerlands?

The Iron Islands and the Reach could show the changes in the Shields Islands.

Well, if we don't give those two boxes, you immediately notice that there will have been some sort of power-struggle in specific regions as their wiki pages have two boxes instead of one.

For consistency, it might be an idea to give the Vale, Dorne and the Westerlands similar templates.

I'm curious about why houses that are mentioned only in The Princess and the Queen, such as House Grey, House Chambers and House Bigglestone are listed as extinct in the "Houses of the Riverlands" template, but not on the Category:Extinct houses page. It should also be noted that houses mentioned only in the Dunk and Egg novels, such as House Shawney and House Butterwell are treated differently in the sense that they are not listed in the "Houses of the Riverlands" template as being extinct the way houses mentioned only in The Princess and the Queen are.

6 minutes ago, ZeRamenGuy said:

I'm curious about why houses that are mentioned only in The Princess and the Queen, such as House Grey, House Chambers and House Bigglestone are listed as extinct in the "Houses of the Riverlands" template, but not on the Category:Extinct houses page. It should also be noted that houses mentioned only in the Dunk and Egg novels, such as House Shawney and House Butterwell are treated differently in the sense that they are not listed in the "Houses of the Riverlands" template as being extinct the way houses mentioned only in The Princess and the Queen are.

Welcome to the forum Ramen ;)

I'm happy that you finally created account here.

On 2/21/2016 at 11:37 AM, ZeRamenGuy said:

This proposed dual template no longer presents them as extinct.

The page on the Battle of the Green Fork states that the Stark host was 17,300 men. Where is that number coming from? I can't find it..

We know that Robb has 19,500 men when he reaches the Twins, and that House Frey has 4,000 men. 800 remain at the Twins when Robb marches and he splits up his forces, but I can't find it stated anywhere how many men of this host Robb takes with him for the march on Riverrun, or how many he sends with Lord Bolton.

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Something else,

Cersei Lannister has "brotherfucker", "queen whore" and "the bitch queen" listed as her aliases. Do they count as aliases?

I would say no. I'd argue brotherfucker is just an insult like all the other things that are yelled at her. You probably wouldn't say that "traitor" or "whore" was a nickname. She's only called queen whore once that I can find. Two people call her the bitch queen, so that's more questionable. Personally I still wouldn't consider it an alias. 

Edited by RumHam

On 24-2-2016 at 9:31 PM, RumHam said:

I would say no. I'd argue brotherfucker is just an insult like all the other things that are yelled at her. You probably wouldn't say that "traitor" or "whore" was a nickname. She's only called queen whore once that I can find. Two people call her the bitch queen, so that's more questionable. Personally I still wouldn't consider it an alias. 

So I can remove them then?

How about "king worm", listed as an alias for Joffrey? This is the quote:

The knight raised his voice instead. "Joffrey is the black worm eating the heart of the realm! Darkness was his father, and death his mother! Destroy him before he corrupts you all! Destroy them all, queen whore and king worm, vile dwarf and whispering spider, the false flowers. Save yourselves!" One of the gold cloaks knocked the man off his feet, but he continued to shout. "The scouring fire will come! King Stannis will return!"

I updated the riverlands template to show the AGOT and ADWD templates. When looking at a sample riverlands house, however, only the first portion (AGOT) shows up. Since both are not showing up at the same time, we could instead use two templates, say {{Template:HousesRiverlandsStart}} and {{Template:HousesRiverlandsFinish}}.

50 minutes ago, Nittanian said:

I updated the riverlands template to show the AGOT and ADWD templates. When looking at a sample riverlands house, however, only the first portion (AGOT) shows up. Since both are not showing up at the same time, we could instead use two templates, say {{Template:HousesRiverlandsStart}} and {{Template:HousesRiverlandsFinish}}.

I see no problem with creating two separate templates for that. 

45 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I see no problem with creating two separate templates for that. 

Take a gander at the bottom of House Tully to see how it looks.

58 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Some questions:

What are the criteria for the houses classified as "Other Houses"?

Shouldn't House Nayland be in another category, since the knightly status isn't confirmed?

Shouldn't this be the case for the houses Darry and Whent, since they are not in possession of their holdings anymore? 

I don't think we have criteria for Other Houses, since GRRM hasn't gone into great detail regarding hierarchy and specifics for lesser known houses. Some templates separate the more prominent houses into Noble Houses and the lesser ones into Other Houses, but maybe they should be merged. I'm not sure which is best at this point.

On ‎26‎.‎02‎.‎2016 at 9:22 PM, Nittanian said:

I don't think we have criteria for Other Houses, since GRRM hasn't gone into great detail regarding hierarchy and specifics for lesser known houses. Some templates separate the more prominent houses into Noble Houses and the lesser ones into Other Houses, but maybe they should be merged. I'm not sure which is best at this point.

Since we don't know enough about those houses, we shouldn't devide the houses into categories they may not even fit in. What do you think about the houses Nayland, Darry and Whent?

The arms of House Ball are blazoned with "Three white plates upon a chevron red on a white field". But their arms on the wiki don't show a chevron, but a chevron inverted.

Just noticed that a couple of items on the front page -- Featured Article and Did You Know -- are not rendering right. I'm not quite sure why, but if someone who understands the templates can look at it, it'd be great.

Re: House Ball,

An interesting quirk of George's heraldry is that when he says 'chevron', he means what in our world is the 'chevron inverted'. This is  due to a misunderstanding on his part more than anything, I think, but regardless when he blazoned the Ashford arms with a chevron, and we did the standard  chevron, he indicated that he wanted it pointing down.

Edited by Ran