The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

Okay this had me stumped for a while, from the wiki:

it is possible this House is connected with Ramsgate or the Sheepshead Hills, places sworn to the Manderlys of nearby White Harbor.[2] <this links to this> ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Ramsgate, Sheepshead Hills.

It took me a while to realize that the source that was meant here was the app and not the book, i actually searched trough the book because i could not remember this peace of info.

I think there needs to be a clearer distinction between the book and the app.

I'm having problems logging in. Initially I just clicked 'log in''( I saved my password on the computer) but it redirects me to the previous page as it would after I logged in. Next, I put my password and account name in and when I click log in the page does nothing. It doesn't even say incorrect password or any other error. The page acts as if I'm logged in. but i'm not. 

Can someone help, please? 

Edited by Nezi0

15 minutes ago, Nezi0 said:

I'm having problems logging in. Initially I just clicked 'log in''( I saved my password on the computer) but it redirects me to the previous page as it would after I logged in. Next, I put my password and account name in and when I click log in the page does nothing. It doesn't even say incorrect password or any other error. The page acts as if I'm logged in. but i'm not. 

Can someone help, please? 

Hm it works for me. What browser are you using? You might try clearing your cookies/cache that's always a good first step. 

On 16-3-2016 at 7:46 PM, Nittanian said:

Do you know of any templates that are already like that? I've only edited templates based on previously-created formats.

Ok, tested a day later than planned, but I think it works.. I changed the original template ({{HousesRiverlands}}), to include the two templates that were newly created (Start-state open, finish-state closed), and placed on the House Tully page, and they indeed seems to portray the way we previously discussed we wanted them to look. What do you think? Is this easier?

28 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Ok, tested a day later than planned, but I think it works.. I changed the original template ({{HousesRiverlands}}), to include the two templates that were newly created (Start-state open, finish-state closed), and placed on the House Tully page, and they indeed seems to portray the way we previously discussed we wanted them to look. What do you think? Is this easier?

Yep, displays correctly at House Hoare!

I would like to add infos here: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Mother%27s_Mercy

and here: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_Dance_of_Dragons

Is there any reason, why these articles are empty? I read somewhere that it is best practice to wait for 3 months before releasing new infos on the wiki (I assume it's to avoid spoilers).

Edited by Togi

22 hours ago, Togi said:

I would like to add infos here: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Mother%27s_Mercy

and here: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_Dance_of_Dragons

Is there any reason, why these articles are empty? I read somewhere that it is best practice to wait for 3 months before releasing new infos on the wiki (I assume it's to avoid spoilers).

A while back I had started to make entries for the pages about season 5, but I hadn't gotten to those two yet. So the reason that they are still empty is just that I hadn't gotten to them yet, and no one else had either. If you want, and have the time, definitly edit them! :) 

On 3/15/2016 at 6:20 PM, Sparks said:

There may be one more wiki downtime in the next week or two (an hour or so) if we decide to bump the RAM in the server that's now handling just PHP, but otherwise things should be good.

Not sure if this is related, but wiki file uploads are down.  Getting these errors:

Warning: fopen(/home/sites/westeros.org/wiki_web/images//lockdir/tuhmcj2je9rm86b2krfq9tf4uxki9lt.lock): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/sites/westeros.org/wiki_web/includes/filebackend/lockmanager/FSLockManager.php on line 125

[9668af43] /index.php/Special:Upload Exception from line 1871 of /home/sites/westeros.org/wiki_web/includes/filerepo/file/LocalFile.php: Could not acquire lock

On 3/20/2016 at 10:01 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

A while back I had started to make entries for the pages about season 5, but I hadn't gotten to those two yet. So the reason that they are still empty is just that I hadn't gotten to them yet, and no one else had either. If you want, and have the time, definitly edit them! :) 

Thanks for reply.

It would be nice if you could add just the title, number and season information (the infobox on the right side), as the registering for new users is currently closed down. I'm working on some data science assignments for university and I would like to use this wiki to create some awesome statistical dashboards (% likelihood of death, political maps etc.)

Content will be here in mid-end of April '16: http://www.got.show

Edited by Togi

3 hours ago, Togi said:

Thanks for reply.

It would be nice if you could add just the title, number and season information (the infobox on the right side), as the registering for new users is currently closed down. I'm working on some data science assignments for university and I would like to use this wiki to create some awesome statistical dashboards (% likelihood of death, political maps etc.)

Content will be here in mid-end of April '16: http://www.got.show

Will do ;) 

7 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

How many quotes per page are the maximum?

I don't think a solid number was ever agreed upon, but quotes should be included within reason. Is there an article with an overabundance which can be trimmed?

Regarding the House Stark article, there was a recent removal of Brandon and Lyanna from "House Stark at the end of the third century" with the explanation "both died well before the events of the books/end of the 3rd century. no other article (f.e. house targaryen) lists people that died during RR". They were removed outright, instead of being moved to Historical Members.

Rather than being limited to characters from the start of AGOT, these sections seem to include the most recent 1-2 generations. For instance, House Martell includes Elia and Lewyn (who died in RR) and House Arryn includes Jon's brother Jasper and nephew Elbert (who died before or during RR). House Lannister includes Tywin's brothers Tygett and Gerion, who died/vanished before AGOT as well.

House Baratheon's corresponding section, in contrast, begins with Robert's generation and has his father Steffon in Historical Members.