The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

1 hour ago, roi_de_fer said:

It doesn't affect the way the page is displayed, but when web developers like me try to pull text from the wiki the first sentence will be "This is an article about ___; for ___, see ___."  I'm trying to have my site pull short character descriptions from AWOIAF, similar to the way Google shows previews from Wikipedia in the right sidebar when you search.   Having those hatnotes appear as part of the description is not ideal.

Ah, I understand. Thanks for explaining :) 

I've adjusted the homonyms-template a little in lay-out, and the change should start showing up quickly (the Bran Stark page already displays the change).  However, I saw a suggestion on the talk-page to change the exact contents of the template, and I have to say that I agree with the suggestion.

The suggestion was to change the text into "For articles with the same or similar titles, see {{disambiguationpage}}"

Alternatively, the english wikipedia uses "For other uses, see {{disambiguationpage}}"

That would, however, mean we'd have to create a lot of new disambiguation pages, and most of those would then only list two pages.

Alternatively, we could create a template where we fill in all the text ourselves (with the sole purpose of fixing the issue that you've mentioned). That would allow us to fill the hatnotes in freely.

5 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Alternatively, we could create a template where we fill in all the text ourselves (with the sole purpose of fixing the issue that you've mentioned). That would allow us to fill the hatnotes in freely.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.  You can use the hatnote templates whenever possible and custom hatnotes when none of the templates fit.  The important thing is that you use proper hatnote syntax when writing a hatnote, whether it's a template or a custom one.

On 12-6-2016 at 3:17 AM, roi_de_fer said:

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.  You can use the hatnote templates whenever possible and custom hatnotes when none of the templates fit.  The important thing is that you use proper hatnote syntax when writing a hatnote, whether it's a template or a custom one.

Look at the Eddard page again. If all is correct now, it contains a hatnote.

7 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

That would certainly help!

Here are a few that I noticed:

Robert Baratheon

Joffrey Baratheon

Jaime Lannister

Tommen Baratheon

Renly Baratheon

Tyrion Lannister

Jon Snow

Dragon

Asha Greyjoy

Edmure Tully

Baelor the Blessed

Also, the formatting on Asha's page looks completely different from the rest of the wiki (at least in my browser).  Anyone else notice that?  Another minor thing I noticed is that "Brotherhood Without Banners" should be capitalized in the title of that page, as it is in the text itself.

Let me know if/when you make these changes!

9 hours ago, roi_de_fer said:

Also, the formatting on Asha's page looks completely different from the rest of the wiki (at least in my browser).  Anyone else notice that?  Another minor thing I noticed is that "Brotherhood Without Banners" should be capitalized in the title of that page, as it is in the text itself.

GRRM has used lower case within the novels so far, actually.

"We are brothers here," Thoros of Myr declared. "Holy brothers, sworn to the realm, to our god, and to each other."

"The brotherhood without banners." Tom Sevenstrings plucked a string. "The knights of the hollow hill." (ASOS Arya VI)
"What is it that you think I've done?" she said. "Who are you?"

"We were king's men when we began," the man told her, "but king's men must have a king, and we have none. We were brothers too, but now our brotherhood is broken. I do not know who we are, if truth be told, nor where we might be going. I only know the road is dark. The fires have not shown me what lies at its end." (AFFC Brienne VIII)

edit: I changed the article's intro to match the case used in ASOS.

Edited by Nittanian

14 hours ago, roi_de_fer said:

Here are a few that I noticed:

Robert Baratheon

Joffrey Baratheon

Jaime Lannister

Tommen Baratheon

Renly Baratheon

Tyrion Lannister

Jon Snow

Dragon

Asha Greyjoy

Edmure Tully

Baelor the Blessed

All done, except for Asha. Where is the hatnote you saw there?

14 hours ago, roi_de_fer said:

Also, the formatting on Asha's page looks completely different from the rest of the wiki (at least in my browser).  Anyone else notice that?

Everything seems to be normal to me. What looked different for you?

I'd like to propose chaning the Daenerys Targaryen image in the infobox on the top of the page. I think that either the image of Daenerys in a Qartheen dress by Carrie Best or Daenerys in Meereen by Denkata5698 fit more closely to the descriptions given in the books. However, I'm not sure what the guidelines and whether the first image linked would even be allowed at the top of a page.

Any opinions?

3 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

All done, except for Asha. Where is the hatnote you saw there?

There was none.  It think she accidentally made it onto my hatnote list because of the weird formatting that I saw.  THANK YOU for making all these changes!!!  :D

3 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Everything seems to be normal to me. What looked different for you?

Looks fine now.  I think my browser was just acting wonky.  Sorry for the false alarm.  TODO: stop using Safari.

Edited by roi_de_fer
Forgot to say thanks!

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I'd like to propose chaning the Daenerys Targaryen image in the infobox on the top of the page. I think that either the image of Daenerys in a Qartheen dress by Carrie Best or Daenerys in Meereen by Denkata5698 fit more closely to the descriptions given in the books. However, I'm not sure what the guidelines and whether the first image linked would even be allowed at the top of a page.

Any opinions?

In my opinion in both of those depictions she looks older than she actually is by at least 10 years, the current one looks much more like the 16 year old she is.

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I like the current one because it features her dragons.  Then again...boobs.

While we're on the subject, do you guys know the correct procedure for using copyrighted images?  As I mentioned, I'm making an interactive ASOIAF infographic, and I'd like to incorporate some images from the TV series.  I think it qualifies as fair use, but I don't want to get sued.  Any advice?  Do I need to contact HBO and ask for permission?  Thanks in advance!

27 minutes ago, roi_de_fer said:

While we're on the subject, do you guys know the correct procedure for using copyrighted images?  As I mentioned, I'm making an interactive ASOIAF infographic, and I'd like to incorporate some images from the TV series.  I think it qualifies as fair use, but I don't want to get sued.  Any advice?  Do I need to contact HBO and ask for permission?  Thanks in advance!

I'm fairly sure that would qualify as either commentary or criticism, and so fair use would apply. but I'm not a lawyer. Honestly I've never heard of any network going after someone for using images from already released shows like that. Generally it's only leaked content that draws their attention. Though if you're really concerned I would suggest you just draw hilarious mustaches on all the characters. That should certainly cover you by establishing it as a parody. 

On 18-6-2016 at 0:03 AM, Lychnidos said:

In my opinion in both of those depictions she looks older than she actually is by at least 10 years, the current one looks much more like the 16 year old she is.

If the age is the only thing, but the image fits her perfectly otherwise (hair, eye-colour, clothing), it might be an option to consider changing the image, wouldn't it?

On 18-6-2016 at 0:47 AM, Nittanian said:

They're not on the wiki, but /r/imaginarywesteros has some good pictures by arienzo and wellfalcon.

How about KLsteeleart, RobotDelEspacio, or  MathiaArkoniel? The first emphasizes the purple eyes, and has her holding a dragons egg, the second emphasizes her role as breaker of chains. The third, while extremely beautifully made, might fit her description the least, though it does feature the purple eyes and the dragon-crown. There's also YamaOrce, and Magali Villeneuve.

The Wellfalcon one is nice, but you barely see her (due to the hrakkar).

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

7 hours ago, direpupy said:

I did not know where else to ask this but apparently they app says euron got his dragonhorn from the warlocks he captured, this is not mentioned in the wiki and i was wondering how reliable this is? and if it is reliable then should it not also be on the wiki?

@aRanycsapat

Where does the app say this? Can't recall it, and I can't find it in the Euron or Pyat Pree entries. Not sure where else it could be.