The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

On 22-6-2016 at 11:42 PM, Nittanian said:

The KLsteeleart is my favorite of those.

It fits with hair, eye colour, age, and as a bonus, depicts her with a dragons egg (fitting for an infobox picture as it thus sort of depicts her status at the start of the series).

Should I contact the artist?

Or does anyone have another suggestion?

On ‎25‎-‎6‎-‎2016 at 1:15 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

It fits with hair, eye colour, age, and as a bonus, depicts her with a dragons egg (fitting for an infobox picture as it thus sort of depicts her status at the start of the series).

Should I contact the artist?

Or does anyone have another suggestion?

Its not bad but certainly not the best i have seen, it sort of misses the inhumane beauty she is suppose to have.

So, I have to ask... Since the Show all but confirmed it... Can the Jon Snow page be changed to reflect that Lyanna Stark is his mother? Just that. Not confirming that Rhaegar is his father, but that Lyanna is his mother.

Because I doubt THAT piece of information is different from the book version given that GRRM specifically made sure the showrunners knew before letting them near his babby.

The wiki sometimes displays incorrectly, and in a rather odd way, too. While the display is still identified as "mobile view", it appears to be a mixture of mobile and desktop, with layout partially being lost, headings no longer collapsing (as they should on mobile view), and the word edit appearing, with the edit sign displayed over that.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

3 hours ago, Widowmaker94 said:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52fc05c9e4b08fc45bd99090/t/57729a51414fb5167c66e197/1467128404932/?format=1000w

[IMG]

[IMG]

What are we supposed to do with this Season 6 reveal? It's definitely going to be true in the books as well.

Even though the reveal in question is a surprise to just about no one, I'm pretty sure we're supposed to keep it off the wiki at least for now. People reading the wiki may not want show spoilers. I notice the other two major show reveals that we know came from Martin are not on the wiki pages for those characters. 

52 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Even though the reveal in question is a surprise to just about no one, I'm pretty sure we're supposed to keep it off the wiki at least for now. People reading the wiki may not want show spoilers. I notice the other two major show reveals that we know came from Martin are not on the wiki pages for those characters. 

I agree. It could certainly be mentioned in an article about the episode ["The Winds of Winter (TV)"], but the novels and episodes are separate canons.

Edited by Nittanian

The 7 vs. 3 at the tower of joy is currently described at "Raid on the Tower of Joy". I'm not aware of George giving this a proper name yet. How about "combat at the tower of joy", since lower case is used for the tower in AGOT?

They whispered of Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, deadliest of the seven knights of Aerys's Kingsguard, and of how their young lord had slain him in single combat. (AGOT Catelyn II)

It was said that Rhaegar had named that place the tower of joy, but for Ned it was a bitter memory. (AGOT Eddard X)

@aRanycsapat,

A technical question, and I think you are the only one who can give me an answer, so here it goes. We've shortly discussed the text alignment for mobile view before. Mobile view currently aligns the text in the center of the page. This decreases the reading-quality on mobile, but (in my personal opinion) especially on tablets.

So I've been thinking about possible solutions, and I've some up with two things that might be helpful:

1. When editing at mobile view, you first get a preview of your edit before you can save the edit. Here, the text does display aligned to the left (as you'd want it to be displayed all the time). So perhaps, this is a setting-issue. So perhaps it is worth checking whether there is a difference in the settings for text alignment for edit-previews and regular display. (If so, the settings for the regular display would then need to be changed).
  2. Using the sandbox, I tested how the text-align settings differ between mobile view and view on laptop. For the sake of looking at every option possible and being able to compare them, I placed both a left align, center align, and right align, followed by a regular sentence (automatic aligned to the left on desktop view, but center aligned in mobile view). Checking this link on mobile, the first line, using <div style="text-align: left;">text here</div>, the text displays on mobile aligned to the left, as would be preferable. So perhaps, this code can be used somewhere in the settings as well?

I hope this helps in some way.

The issue with the collapsing templates appears to be resolved, btw! :)

Hi everyone,

I've started to upload sigil images as vector graphics and, as @Rhaenys_Targaryen has pointed out, they are currently rendering with a white background. I think this page on MediaWiki provides a solution, but it requires admin priviledges. Does anyone know how to ask for this on the wiki?

Abjiklam

Edited by Abjiklam
typo

On 5.7.2016 at 11:00 PM, Abjiklam said:

On the topic of sigils, what are the criteria for including a particular coat of arms on a character's page? Is it normal to include 4 or more, as is done on Brynden Tully's page for example?

Displayed are usually the sigil of your own House and/or order (like the Night's Watch or Kingsguard) plus any personal sigils that the character bears or has borne at any time plus the sigils of Houses that the character has sworn allegiance to (without him being a default bannerman of that House).

So for example Brienne's article notes the Tarth sigil, the rainbow-coloured one from the Rainbow Guard, the Tully sigil because she swore allegiance directly to Catelyn Tully and her family and the Dunk sigil because at one time she used a shield that she had painted over with this sigil. The original sigil on this shield was the Lothston sigil but she never identified with this House, swore any allegiance to it (it's extinct anyway) and never uses it explicitly as her personal sigil, so you wouldn't want to include that on the character's page. Also, she has technically an allegiance to House Baratheon since Tarth is in the stormlands, but as I said, you wouldn't include that sigil either because it's just silly to have to include the sigil of every lesser House's overlord for every character.

4 hours ago, Nittanian said:

Using Firefox, some of the house and regional templates are displaying info in lists of a single column which leaves a lot of empty space in each template box (Crownlands before and after, Seas before and after). Is it displaying that way for other users?

Not for me. Perhaps a cache issue?

On 5-7-2016 at 11:00 PM, Abjiklam said:

On the topic of sigils, what are the criteria for including a particular coat of arms on a character's page? Is it normal to include 4 or more, as is done on Brynden Tully's page for example?

And..

4 hours ago, chris1994 said:

Displayed are usually the sigil of your own House and/or order (like the Night's Watch or Kingsguard) plus any personal sigils that the character bears or has borne at any time plus the sigils of Houses that the character has sworn allegiance to (without him being a default bannerman of that House).

So for example Brienne's article notes the Tarth sigil, the rainbow-coloured one from the Rainbow Guard, the Tully sigil because she swore allegiance directly to Catelyn Tully and her family and the Dunk sigil because at one time she used a shield that she had painted over with this sigil. The original sigil on this shield was the Lothston sigil but she never identified with this House, swore any allegiance to it (it's extinct anyway) and never uses it explicitly as her personal sigil, so you wouldn't want to include that on the character's page. Also, she has technically an allegiance to House Baratheon since Tarth is in the stormlands, but as I said, you wouldn't include that sigil either because it's just silly to have to include the sigil of every lesser House's overlord for every character.

Would it be an idea to display the sigils underneath the character name in the infobox, instead of on the left and right sides? The way we have it now, the display for characters with three sigils is not really optimal (e.g. Lysa Tully).

Some undressed posts from the past two weeks or so

On 4-7-2016 at 10:37 AM, Abjiklam said:

Hi everyone,

I've started to upload sigil images as vector graphics and, as @Rhaenys_Targaryen has pointed out, they are currently rendering with a white background. I think this page on MediaWiki provides a solution, but it requires admin priviledges. Does anyone know how to ask for this on the wiki?

Abjiklam

On 2-7-2016 at 5:11 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

In addition to the Sandbox, is it an idea to create a Sandbox specifically for trying to build and for testing templates (e.g. Template:Sandbox)? 

On 2-7-2016 at 1:13 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

@aRanycsapat,

A technical question, and I think you are the only one who can give me an answer, so here it goes. We've shortly discussed the text alignment for mobile view before. Mobile view currently aligns the text in the center of the page. This decreases the reading-quality on mobile, but (in my personal opinion) especially on tablets.

So I've been thinking about possible solutions, and I've some up with two things that might be helpful:

1. When editing at mobile view, you first get a preview of your edit before you can save the edit. Here, the text does display aligned to the left (as you'd want it to be displayed all the time). So perhaps, this is a setting-issue. So perhaps it is worth checking whether there is a difference in the settings for text alignment for edit-previews and regular display. (If so, the settings for the regular display would then need to be changed).
  2. Using the sandbox, I tested how the text-align settings differ between mobile view and view on laptop. For the sake of looking at every option possible and being able to compare them, I placed both a left align, center align, and right align, followed by a regular sentence (automatic aligned to the left on desktop view, but center aligned in mobile view). Checking this link on mobile, the first line, using <div style="text-align: left;">text here</div>, the text displays on mobile aligned to the left, as would be preferable. So perhaps, this code can be used somewhere in the settings as well?

I hope this helps in some way.

The issue with the collapsing templates appears to be resolved, btw! :)

On 1-7-2016 at 8:12 PM, Nittanian said:

The 7 vs. 3 at the tower of joy is currently described at "Raid on the Tower of Joy". I'm not aware of George giving this a proper name yet. How about "combat at the tower of joy", since lower case is used for the tower in AGOT?

On 30-6-2016 at 11:06 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

What exactly is allowed on the episode pages for Season 6, @aRanycsapat? The cast listing? Only the two-or-three-line synopsis? Or a summary as we always did, with an explicit warning on the top of the page that the reader might come across spoilers because the sixth season possibly contains material from the unreleased books?

On 21-6-2016 at 7:55 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

In addition to my question above, we have a lot of pages for the years after Aegon's Landing (266 AL, 267 AL etc.). These all lead to a broken redirect ([[Years after Aegon's Landing#Year .. after Aegon's Landing]]), because that page no longer exists, having been renamed to the correct [[Years after Aegon's Conquest]].

My question is, do we remove all the pages titled 266 AL, 267 AL, 299 AL, etc.? (since there is no AL, only AC). Or do we have to redirect them all to Years after Aegon's Conquest?

On 24-6-2016 at 4:06 PM, Nittanian said:

Using the Sandbox, I changed Ned's template to:

Does that do what is recommended?

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Would it be an idea to display the sigils underneath the character name in the infobox, instead of on the left and right sides? The way we have it now, the display for characters with three sigils is not really optimal (e.g. Lysa Tully).

Yeah I think that would be better... And in general, I would find it easier to understand if they were differentiated somehow, perhaps in size or otherwise. Maybe even with a very short explanation next to or under the sigil? Because for character with many sigils it's sometimes hard to see which are more or less important, which are actually used like personal sigils and which are just by default like House sigils and so on. Like I said, a very short information would absolutely suffice, just to be a little clearer.

Like for Lysa, you could have:
Tully sigil: By birth
Arryn sigil: By 1st marriage
(Petyr) Baelish sigil: By 2nd marriage

Or for Brienne:
Tarth sigil: By birth
Rainbow sigil: By Rainbow Guard
Tully sigil: By allegiance
Dunk sigil: Personal sigil

3 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Not for me. Perhaps a cache issue?

They're displaying for me now with Firefox on a different computer, so I'm not sure if it was a caching issue or a browser issue.

Separately, the Telltale game was moved from  "Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series" to "Game of Thrones (2014 video game)". Its official website and Facebook page use the full title, so shouldn't we also be using that instead of shortening the title and then disambiguating with "(2014 video game)"?