The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

13 hours ago, Nittanian said:

They're displaying for me now with Firefox on a different computer, so I'm not sure if it was a caching issue or a browser issue.

Separately, the Telltale game was moved from  "Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series" to "Game of Thrones (2014 video game)". Its official website and Facebook page use the full title, so shouldn't we also be using that instead of shortening the title and then disambiguating with "(2014 video game)"?

If that's the name the official website uses, and if that's the name under which the game is sold, then that's the name we should use on the wiki.

But, if the page is moved again, the interlinks should be adjusted accordingly.

On 7/1/2016 at 2:12 PM, Nittanian said:

The 7 vs. 3 at the tower of joy is currently described at "Raid on the Tower of Joy". I'm not aware of George giving this a proper name yet. How about "combat at the tower of joy", since lower case is used for the tower in AGOT?

Any objections to this?

50 minutes ago, Nittanian said:

Any objections to this?

Not from me.

Any insights on this, by any chance?

On 12-7-2016 at 6:45 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

When permission is given to upload and display an image on the wiki, are we then also allowed to crop it? (as long as the original file remains on the wiki as well). Or do we need to ask separate permission for this as well?

On 7/12/2016 at 0:45 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

When permission is given to upload and display an image on the wiki, are we then also allowed to crop it? (as long as the original file remains on the wiki as well). Or do we need to ask separate permission for this as well?

Ran might need to clarify for the purposes of AWOIAF, but Wikipedia seems to allow that. Does it depend on which license tag applies?

Since registration is currently closed for technical purposes, should this be temporarily removed from the main page? "All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki."

31 minutes ago, Widowmaker94 said:

Combat at the Tower of Joy is not a good name. If we're all admitting there is no official name.. We might as well call it the Melee at the Tower of Joy.

From what I can tell, GRRM only uses melee/mêlée for tourneys, so the wiki using it for the tower of joy would be original research. "Combat" is at least canonically used in reference to Arthur and Ned.

6 minutes ago, Nittanian said:

From what I can tell, GRRM only uses melee/mêlée for tourneys, so the wiki using it for the tower of joy would be original research. "Combat" is at least canonically used in reference to Arthur and Ned.

Or Showdown at the Tower of Joy. Skirmish at the Tower of Joy.

Combat sounds so... Ugh.

1 hour ago, Nittanian said:

Ran might need to clarify for the purposes of AWOIAF, but Wikipedia seems to allow that. Does it depend on which license tag applies?

Since registration is currently closed for technical purposes, should this be temporarily removed from the main page? "All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki."

It should at the very least, I think, be added to this page.

On 2016-07-12 at 6:45 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

As long as the original is linked to I don't see the harm in cropping images if it's done honestly. For example, cropping out copyright information would not be acceptable.

I've found another questionable alias. Jaime's list includes "Cripple." Which again like a few of the others I've objected to in the past is an insult, not an alias. The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but I don't think anyone would argue that if a character said "cripple" everyone would know he meant Jaime. "The Dwarf" works for Tyrion, as he's commonly called that and is essentially the dwarf as far as noble families go. But "Cripple" shouldn't qualify as a Jaime alias in my opinion any more than it should be Willas Tyrell's. 

Edit: or Bran's! so weird that I thought of Willas before Bran. 

Edited by RumHam

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

I've found another questionable alias. Jaime's list includes "Cripple." Which again like a few of the others I've objected to in the past is an insult, not an alias. The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but I don't think anyone would argue that if a character said "cripple" everyone would know he meant Jaime. "The Dwarf" works for Tyrion, as he's commonly called that and is essentially the dwarf as far as noble families go. But "Cripple" shouldn't qualify as a Jaime alias in my opinion any more than it should be Willas Tyrell's. 

Edit: or Bran's! so weird that I thought of Willas before Bran. 

Poor Bran!;)

But I agree.

On 2016-07-16 at 11:33 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Is there an alternative for Navboxes that is visible for mobile viewers?

Navboxes can be made visible on mobile by changing the code on MediaWiki:common.css. This is something we could ask Ran, and is perhaps a good opportunity to check whether the navbox styling used on the wiki is up to date with that on Wikimedia projects.

On 19-7-2016 at 10:39 PM, Abjiklam said:

Navboxes can be made visible on mobile by changing the code on MediaWiki:common.css. This is something we could ask Ran, and is perhaps a good opportunity to check whether the navbox styling used on the wiki is up to date with that on Wikimedia projects.

That's interesting! Would it also be possible to have collapsible family trees on mobile view, like we do on desktop view? The family trees currently set to be collapsed on desktop view show up expanded on mobile.

Edit (25-7-2016): You seem to know a bit more about this stuff than me, I figured I just post some links here that I found (I'm trying to learn more about wiki-coding and such :) ). So, for example, to make tables collapsible on mobile view too (they can already be set to be automatically collapsed on desktop view), should the code found here be inserted on this page on the wiki?

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen